adept

Mantra Recitation Dream

Greetings all. I would like some advice and insight on something which happened to me last night/this morning.

I was dreaming that I was repeatedly reciting a Sanskrit mantra. There were no visuals accompanying the sounds, only the mantra, entering my mind, and then me reciting it. As I started to wake from the dream, I was actually reciting the mantra out loud and kept repeating it. When I was fully awake I felt incredible. 

Is there a reason for this ? 

Am I being subconsciously prompted to follow a certain path ?

A sign from God ?

It's still so fresh in my mind which is also unusual as dreams tend to dissipate as time passes.

• Like 1

Just now, adept said:

Greetings all. I would like some advice and insight on something which happened to me last night/this morning.

I was dreaming that I was repeatedly reciting a Sanskrit mantra. There were no visuals accompanying the sounds, only the mantra, entering my mind, and then me reciting it. As I started to wake from the dream, I was actually reciting the mantra out loud and kept repeating it. When I was fully awake I felt incredible. 

A sign from God ?

It's still so fresh in my mind which is also unusual as dreams tend to dissipate as time passes.

Obviously can't say for sure, but the very first thing I thought of when I read this was it was from a past life.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, adept said:

A sign from God ?

Do you remember the mantra? PM me if you're not comfortable sharing here. Don't reveal the mantra in public. 

Did you know that Mantra before (heard it anywhere)? Or is it something that came at you completely out of the left field?

I've had mantras come to me in a dream state from unknown teachers -- but they were most profound, timely and helpful -- and revealed things about my own past (previous lives) that got validated by a teacher many years after receiving the mantras. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dwai said:

Do you remember the mantra?

Did you know that Mantra before (heard it anywhere)? Or is it something that came at you completely out of the left field?

Hi dwai. Yes I remember the mantra vividly, every syllable. I would prefer not to disclose it, even in a PM. 

I've heard it before, many years ago and also seen it in written form, but mantra is not a practice which I have as part of my cultivation routine, which is what has me so intrigued. Also the clarity of the whole experience. Like a dream but not a dream. Very difficult to put into words.

After writing the OP, I did some searching online. Some were of the understanding that it is a very auspicious sign that should be pursued. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, adept said:

It means its a very special dream that you need to pay close attention too. 

When it has happened to me, I've always thought another being potentially assisted by turning up the energy in order for it to be so vivid giving you the ability to remember it.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, adept said:

Hi dwai. Yes I remember the mantra vividly, every syllable. I would prefer not to disclose it, even in a PM. 

I've heard it before, many years ago and also seen it in written form, but mantra is not a practice which I have as part of my cultivation routine, which is what has me so intrigued. Also the clarity of the whole experience. Like a dream but not a dream. Very difficult to put into words.

After writing the OP, I did some searching online. Some were of the understanding that it is a very auspicious sign that should be pursued. 

I would suggest undertaking what is called a purascharana. Take the number of syllables in the mantra and multiply 100,000 times. Chant the mantra in increments of 108 until the purascharana is complete. The power of the mantra will be realized in one or more purascharana. 

If you do undertake it, do it diligently every day without miss. Usually practicing it after a bath/shower (ritual cleansing) is good. 

some good advice here — http://mantrayoga.blogspot.com/2015/11/how-to-perform-purascharana-simple.html?m=1

Edited by dwai
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how, or if to, proceed. 

Mantra recitation seems at odds with my current practices and study. I've invested a lot of time, and money, in what I do, which all come from Chinese traditions.

This is what is totally perplexing about it. Sanskrit mantras weren't even on my radar. 

A lot of years ago when I was searching for a path, I was briefly interested, but found myself more suited to Daoist practices.

8 hours ago, adept said:

Sanskrit mantras weren't even on my radar.

Maybe the information contained in that specific mantra is meant to assist you in a certain way.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Maybe the information contained in that specific mantra is meant to assist you in a certain way.

Yes. That's the reason for the thread. I feel like I'm being urged to practice it, even though it's entirely different to me. 

Maybe what I think is right for me, actually isn't, and forces greater than myself know better.

1 minute ago, adept said:

Yes. That's the reason for the thread. I feel like I'm being urged to practice it, even though it's entirely different to me. 

Maybe what I think is right for me, actually isn't, and forces greater than myself know better.

Actually what you are describing sounds very familiar. When I began I was drawn to Taoist stuff like qigong and had no interest in things like mantras at all, in fact I sort of rolled my eyes at them. I guess that was because having come out of fundamentalist Christianity it seemed too much like prayer to me and I was at the time put off by all things church related due to many bad experiences. Now though I would say mantras are probably my main practice, aside from studying texts and contemplation.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, adept said:

Even if “greater forces” would be something difficult to accept or alien to you, you could accept it as your subconscious (or “internal guru” if you prefer) guiding you - manifesting what is useful/beneficial/needed at this point in time. This would mean intuitively you know what is better for yourself - when the mind becomes quiet enough and the more intellectualized thoughts of what is better/best aren’t getting in the way...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, adept said:

Thanks for the replies. I'm not sure how, or if to, proceed. 

Mantra recitation seems at odds with my current practices and study. I've invested a lot of time, and money, in what I do, which all come from Chinese traditions.

This is what is totally perplexing about it. Sanskrit mantras weren't even on my radar. 

A lot of years ago when I was searching for a path, I was briefly interested, but found myself more suited to Daoist practices.

Mantra practice will not hurt your other interests, if anything, you might be accelerating your spiritual development. :) 

And really, all it takes is a few minutes of your time every day. Sometimes we might feel a sense of loyalty to one tradition over another,  but really it is a matter of our own choice.

These things don't happen to random people out of the blue, there's a reason why you've been given a gift. Whether you act upon it or not is entirely up to you.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, dwai said:

Mantra practice will not hurt your other interests, if anything, you might be accelerating your spiritual development. :) 

And really, all it takes is a few minutes of your time every day. Sometimes we might feel a sense of loyalty to one tradition over another,  but really it is a matter of our own choice.

These things don't happen to random people out of the blue, there's a reason why you've been given a gift. Whether you act upon it or not is entirely up to you.

Thanks dwai. 

I intend to act upon this very fortunate gift I have had the good fortune of receiving.

The words of encouragement and genuine help is the reason I keep coming back to the forums. The Dao Bums is indeed a special place.

• Like 1