There is something about the way the lower back relates to the lower abdominals, illiosoas and flexors here w/ the 2-3" lift/support during seated meditation. Without it (sit bones flat on the floor) the core is much more "engaged" with the spinal alignment, which can be a good thing to practice for durations because it requires a conscious recognition of the engagement / relaxation of the dantien w/ each breath.

These small details seem very significant because in these very SMALL spaces of 2-3" profound biomechanical alignments can occur which can significantly aid the easy in which the body changes fro one state to another. Also can aid those spiritually minded people along their path.

I've always done my lotus meditation on a flat but cushioned surface. It is more difficult than on a 2-3" cushion, but I always assumed this is part of the process to obtain correct posture. It seems as my meditation position gongfu improves I can sit lower without discomfort. However, my meditation to this point has been focused on awareness, burning stagnant qi/karma, cessation of discriminating thoughts, and building the lower dantian, not so much on trance-states, OBE or other more spiritually engaged activities.

Perhaps a 2-3" cushion would be helpful for going deeper. Or maybe sitting flat will ultimately open the body more. I don't know. Perhaps regulating an engaged core is one of the peculiarities of Daoist meditative gongfu with it's great emphasis on building a strong lower dantian.

But I'll give sitting 2-3" up a shot next time, maybe there's something to it.

However, my meditation to this point has been focused on awareness, burning stagnant qi/karma, cessation of discriminating thoughts, and building the lower dantian, not so much on trance-states, OBE or other more spiritually engaged activities.

By not focusing on "achieving" these various spiritual states one can cultivate natural human particulars to their fullest potential. Regular practice at returning to the most natural state, is putting yourself in a position where the spontaneous happenings of the spiritual are free to be.

In my experience it is best to ground spiritual practice in physically minded training. True relaxation (sung/song) is then achieved through proper balance of tensions & compressions, (which have their psychological counterparts) and eventually experiencing these physical changes both during practice (the gung itself) and extending into daily life as the body continues to harmonize work & rest. Something and nothing. Motion and stillness.

Perhaps regulating an engaged core is one of the peculiarities of Daoist meditative gongfu with it's great emphasis on building a strong lower dantian.

And the relationship to the final three inches of extension THROUGH the core to the physical edge. Once the core is "clear" the cross tension relationships through left/right are experienced more freely in everyday movements. In martial context this relates to understanding the difference between a jab (lead) and cross (rear), or in taijiquan the single whip (w/front hip open YCF style) and brush knee/ push.

"Working" out the kinks w/ a physical practice brings about stillness as an "easy work" once the "hard work" is completed, the associate mental relaxation brought on by metabolic cycles often called "the zone", yet taoists have regularly transmitted to people how to find "the zone" without having to run the Boston marathon for centuries on top of centuries. In my opinion this is what sets the Taoist arts apart from other forms of physical exercise. There are sports psychologists who have arrived at similar ideas, but the rich history of classical arts is (I believe) a firm foundation to stand upon, giants upon which shoulders people are free to stand.

Edited by Spectrum

Hey Drew,

What are your thoughts on doing the active exercises in Full lotus?

Well Qigong master Chunyi Lin said at the Level III retreat that if you see his arms flying around while he's in full-lotus during a long over 2 hour meditation session -- just ignore it.

As for me my Adam's Apple pulsates as the energy shoots into people and then all these deep blockages in my shoulders, neck, brain, etc. start cracking. Makes for a nice spectacle.

There's this booth I've sat at recently and always a female sits on the other side and our channels locks up. Today the female who sat with her back to me and her female friend across the table started obsessing about their male yoga teacher so much that their two boyfriends joked to each other about just leaving the females at the booth to themselves.

That conversation caught my "eye." haha.

So when you say active it also applies to the body movements of the people around me -- like what Max does. I assure you that body language of females soaking up the energy is very PRECISE. The energy is like a laser so best works with a direct line of fire so to speak. So people just adjust their bodies appropriately to the full-lotus energy.

Thanks,

So I'm gathering from what you wrote that the active exercises would be more effective standing up.