Toni

Is somebody doing Tien Shan nei kung from starjumper (Steve Gray)?

49 minutes ago, steve said:

You weren’t supposed to reveal the true reason!

Now things are going to get stiff and xxxx again?

3 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

When choosing between Steves...

Hi Jesse,

There is not a need to choose between Steves...

TDB's respectful moderator is steve.

- Anand

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Limahong said:

Hi Jesse,

There is not a need to choose between Steves...

TDB's respectful moderator is steve.

- Anand

If I understand you Anand, you make a good and warm-hearted point.  Most of the time there is no need to choose between people.  Rather, we can include both recognizing the unique good they bring to the mix.  Although Steve Grey was banned for what I consider good reasons, I believe he´s a dedicated and knowledgable practitioner of his art.  While he was here he made some good contributions to the discussion and inspired some Bums to practice a system they say they´ve found valuable.  That´s all to the good.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Master Logray said:

Thanks, I read his profile which says he was inner door disciple of Fook Yueng, who was Bruce Lee's uncle and main Kung Fu teacher.   This seems not to be in accordance with the background of Bruce Lee. 

Is there any source for this claim ?   I could not find him listed as a teacher of Bruce Lee . .

...  and I dont mean a photo of  uncle and nephew joking around together or doing a few kung fu moves ... I mean proof thaat Fook Yueng was Lee's  main teacher ?

5 hours ago, Nungali said:

Is there any source for this claim ?   I could not find him listed as a teacher of Bruce Lee . .

...  and I dont mean a photo of  uncle and nephew joking around together or doing a few kung fu moves ... I mean proof thaat Fook Yueng was Lee's  main teacher ?

Bruce Lee's main teacher was his own father, Lee Hoi Chuen, who was a famous actor and martial artist.  His main master was Ip Man (or Yip Man), taught him Wing Chun.  Donnie Yen's film series portrayed this master.   Bruce still had learned other martial arts from quite a few teachers, but on a minor role.  Nowhere was mentioned about a gentleman Fook Yueng as his main teacher.

• Thanks 1

It seems SJ  'forgot'  what he  actually  said to me  and instead cited some other and different instance  of suggested violence   ... that I had thought was about a martial arts technique .   Ha !  

I suppose they are hard to keep track of when you have more than one 'under your belt' . 

Moderator note -

Please return to discussing the subject matter at hand.

The mod team would like to keep this thread open if people want to discuss qigong, neigong, and related matters.

We appreciate your cooperation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steve said:

The mod team would like to keep this thread open if people want to discuss qigong, neigong, and related matters.

if TDB has come of age

let it be and see what

will become of the...

b88427d0a244472d80ba276e3d5796ec.gif

i believe in the natural balance of...

th?id=OIP.eRCDJ2sLkl5nBuDYldo5gQHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

On 5/31/2021 at 10:53 PM, Master Logray said:

Bruce Lee's main teacher was his own father, Lee Hoi Chuen, who was a famous actor and martial artist.  His main master was Ip Man (or Yip Man), taught him Wing Chun.  Donnie Yen's film series portrayed this master.   Bruce still had learned other martial arts from quite a few teachers, but on a minor role.  Nowhere was mentioned about a gentleman Fook Yueng as his main teacher.

I've heard references to Fook Yueng from other sources such as Adam Chan (who has a very practical and functional wing chun system). It seems Steve Smith, is a student of Fook Yueng (and assuming Steve Gray aka starjumper was his kungfu brother(?) under Fook Yeung). Steve Smith seems to have had a long standing collaboration with Jesse Glover (Bruce Lee's student) and is well known in the NA martial arts community (and are considered highly skilled practitioner). I've of course no first-hand info on any of them, but I've been following Adam Chan's stuff for a while and he is certainly a very skilled/mature martial artist - I find Adam's statements to be reliable on face value, given how good his kungfu is. 

With people who are relatively unknown, mostly what we will find are hagiographies, but this little article by Steve Smith seems to reveal much about the teacher --

https://thelittledojo.com/f/purpose-of-gung-fu

This article shows Bruce and Fook Yeung as having collaborated, and that Bruce did some "informal" studies with the latter.

http://bruceleelives.co.uk/bio2.html

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

... help...

Hi Bro,

I need help with  my journey travelling

from my 1st to the 7th chakra

from down under to up above

th?id=OIP.jg1k5yey1e28_qwALpvb_QHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=226&h=170

I know that I can count on you...

- Anand

16 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

If we who have taken up the spiritual path cannot even get along, then it doesn't bode well for the world.

th?id=OIP.5vcWBDAfrx-56bCLS9pyjwHaHa&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

7 hours ago, Limahong said:

Hi Bro,

I need help with  my journey travelling

from my 1st to the 7th chakra

from down under to up above

th?id=OIP.jg1k5yey1e28_qwALpvb_QHaFj&pid=Api&P=0&w=226&h=170

I know that I can count on you...

- Anand

]

Yes.  I can see you need a lot of 'help'.

14 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Yes.  I can see you need a lot of 'help'.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

On 5/31/2021 at 3:46 PM, Nungali said:

Saying Master Yeung was Bruce's main teacher is just Starjumper overstating the facts. After Master Yeung died Linda Lee-Caldwell spoke about him and acknowledged that he was a teacher of Bruce's and important to him.

I trained the Tian Shan Qigong with Master Yeung in the mid 90's.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kevin_wallbridge said:

I trained the Tian Shan Qigong with Master Yeung in the mid 90's.

Great!

Would you mind giving your impressions and experiences about this style and the person of Master Yeung?

I would really like to read another perspective in contrast to what Steve Gray has been saying.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, virtue said:

Would you mind giving your impressions and experiences about this style and the person of Master Yeung?

I would really like to read another perspective in contrast to what Steve Gray has been saying.

To be fair I am probably as much a fan-boy of Master Yeung as Steve is. He was the Monkey King in the flesh. Part unearthly skill, part encyclopedic knowledge and all heart. Perceptive, playful and generous. A True human being.

The Tian Shan is pretty weird to be honest. I didn't learn all of the supplementary exercises that I have seen when I glanced at Steve's videos (when I met Master Yeung I had already been training breathwork for a decade and had spent a year in China training Qigong maybe Master Yeung thought I would be ok without it). I just learned a long sequence were you lean back making a line from your knees to your head. There are series of arm gestures and some forward bends that are done very slowly... no... slower... slower... sloowweerrr... no, seriously... MUCH fucking slower. At normal movement speed the whole thing would take a couple of minutes but in practice it takes an hour. It is a glacial meditation of muscular discomfort and discipline that suddenly turns your perception inside out.

The last time I led a group through a half a rep (a bunch of curious Kungfu nerds at a conference) they all groaned about their abs for a while as we looked at the sky and suddenly we all experienced a collective perception of time compression as the clouds raced across the sky. It felt like about 15 minutes but it had been 35. Everyone agreed that they saw the clouds speed up. Did they? Was it group-think? Peer pressure? Hard to say, but I saw the time compression.

I am pragmatic. I like my martial arts practical, I keep my Qigong pretty basic. I teach Chinese medicine for a living and have some pretty strong opinions on what Chinese physical culture is and is not (one reason I never really post here). I am not, as one friend so eloquently said, a "white-light bunny." Still, if I want to push through the veil and fold time and space, then the Tian Shan is my jam.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, kevin_wallbridge said:

To be fair I am probably as much a fan-boy of Master Yeung as Steve is. He was the Monkey King in the flesh. Part unearthly skill, part encyclopedic knowledge and all heart. Perceptive, playful and generous. A True human being.

The Tian Shan is pretty weird to be honest. I didn't learn all of the supplementary exercises that I have seen when I glanced at Steve's videos (when I met Master Yeung I had already been training breathwork for a decade and had spent a year in China training Qigong maybe Master Yeung thought I would be ok without it). I just learned a long sequence were you lean back making a line from your knees to your head. There are series of arm gestures and some forward bends that are done very slowly... no... slower... slower... sloowweerrr... no, seriously... MUCH fucking slower. At normal movement speed the whole thing would take a couple of minutes but in practice it takes an hour. It is a glacial meditation of muscular discomfort and discipline that suddenly turns your perception inside out.

The last time I led a group through a half a rep (a bunch of curious Kungfu nerds at a conference) they all groaned about their abs for a while as we looked at the sky and suddenly we all experienced a collective perception of time compression as the clouds raced across the sky. It felt like about 15 minutes but it had been 35. Everyone agreed that they saw the clouds speed up. Did they? Was it group-think? Peer pressure? Hard to say, but I saw the time compression.

I am pragmatic. I like my martial arts practical, I keep my Qigong pretty basic. I teach Chinese medicine for a living and have some pretty strong opinions on what Chinese physical culture is and is not (one reason I never really post here). I am not, as one friend so eloquently said, a "white-light bunny." Still, if I want to push through the veil and fold time and space, then the Tian Shan is my jam.

What is this chinese physical culture in your opinion?

Toni, haha, trying to stir a pot?

Physical culture refers to Yangsheng health practices, martial arts, Qigong that sort of thing. Lets just say that if you look at source texts from the ancient era, like the 管子 Guanzi or the 内径 Neijing there is a lot less imagination and more actual physicality than I see in modern discussions. Modern philosophical trends in reductionist thinking splits mind from body. Older texts are more embodied and less ideational.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1