FriendLee

Been standing long and wrong

Hello,

Since my college days, I have faith in the benefits of qigong, so I started practicing a lot. 

Now, 15 years later, it seems I am not able to benefit my own body, only heal others.

I stopped martial arts 9 years ago, thinking qigong and meditation is the way to go, anything more than that will waste my time.

Now I must admit, that I was much more fit when I did gongfu. I am wondering where did the benefits of qigong go.

Although I am very grateful for being able to help others with qi, I feel quite embarrassed for breathing hard when walking up a mountain, and it is obvious to me that I was not successful in my practice.

So, there is a lot of great information on this forum, I have been following it, since I started qigong but only now I sign up to discuss some issues, which I haven't come across in any of the discussions, yet.

• Like 2

Greetings Friendlee, Welcome to the site.  Sounds like you have many stories to tell.  When I see my old martial art friends who still practice I realize how far I've fallen.  Its as if each year away, takes away one year of practice and conditioning.  I don't know about the skill and timing, but the conditioning comes back. 

We're an eclectic philosophy forum for learning, discussing and cultivation.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and making some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Please take a moment to review our Forum Terms & Rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on the website.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, spam, obscene, profane, threatens or incites violence, invasive of a person's privacy, nor of denigrating and/or erotically suggestive avatars, signatures, links and pictures, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

-Mal Rules & Use 7/22/11

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

Tao bums is a moderated, privately owned, web site; all who agree with our guiding principals are welcome to join our discussions:

Treat other members with respect. No personal attacks.

Moderators are present to enforce this, please abide by their decisions.

Basically No personal attacks.
It is totally fine to vocally disagree with a person's opinion, technique, politics, approach, lifestyle choice, etc.

But no insulting (or links to attacks) of individuals, nationalities, genders, political preferences, lifestyle choices, etc.
While this may sound restrictive and categorically un-Taoist, I believe it is a useful guideline to help us stop for a moment and think about how to present our perspectives intelligently without just flinging unproductive rudeness at each other. This way other members can receive value from your perspective and you can gain clarity by reasoning out why you initially felt compelled to verbally put down someone else for being different.

No one, including the originating poster, gains anything from statements like "So and so is a complete moron", etc. If you have an opinion and you believe it's relevant to a topic at hand, post it as constructively as possible so we can learn from you, debate with you, ignore you, whatever.

If you can't abide by this simple constructive guideline, either create your post in a PPD or expect it can be moved. This is our mini-octagon here for those of you that insist on a more primitive breed of taoist war.

TheDaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

TDBs' Cultural Context and Founding Principles  ver.2020-Jul-16
The purpose of this document is to concisely state the most fundamental framework principles that give TDBs it's distinctive shape.  This is not "all the rules, permutations, etc",  just the steel beams.

TDBs exists in the general field of "The Search for Truth".
The Usual organized formats (schools) for The Search tend to have:
    1. focus exclusively within a school
    2. hierachical learning structure, hierachical ability to speak
TheDàoBums' founding principles form a deliberate cultural counter-point:
    1. run independently of any school, which allows a more eclectic atmosphere
    2. conversational learning, egalitarian ability for members to speak
TDBs' social format is "cafeteria", not "classroom".  It's part of TDBs' premise that, broadly in culture, these two formats are necessary, distinct yet complementary.

TheDàoBums has a strong egalitarian ethic in that it's whole purpose is to provide a civil very open context for member conversations.  However, its governance structure is mostly top down; it's not a democracy.
- admins - own / run the board
- moderators - enforce rules
- members - converse  :)

TDBs' Conversational Context:
1. At TDBs member participation in conversation is non-hierarchical.  Meaning, members have equal ability to talk regardless of level of knowledge, achievement, or status / credentials of any kind.  TDBs has an underlying ethic of valuing the communication of each person.

2. TDBs most basic rules about conversation are around civility.

• While TDBs provides room for, encourages, lively, often vigorous and sometimes rough and tumble, debate ... that is balanced by protecting decency and sensitivity towards each other in such a variety of instances that no set of specific rules could ever adequately cover.
  • A moderator's basic role is to moderate members' incivility toward each other in conversation.  
  • Members support this process by 'reporting' offending posts

A fictional example of how 1&2 shake out:
If there's a TDBs debate about music between Mozart vs a beginning piano player, and it becomes heated enough that reports are generated for moderator consideration then, still, "level of knowledge, achievement, or status" are not basis for moderation.  Civility is, applied equally to each member.

It's up to each member, not moderators, to sort out the truth (and other questions of quality) for themselves in conversation.  Moderators just keep the conversation civil within reasonable limits.  For issues of staff bias, members can contact the current admin.

The staff (admins, moderators) also deserve and have protection against incivility and against abuse of staff resources.  Staff protection is enforced at the discretion of the admin, lead moderator/s, and by consensus of the moderation team.  The admin also has broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TDBs e-community.

signed,

- Trunk, author & past admin

- Sean, owner & admin of TheDàoBums

Thank you RiverSnake,

I like fish, but I prefer to learn how to fish. 

I used to practice Zhineng qigong for years, later mostly just zhan zhuang.

Just this week, I am coming back to give qigong a try, starting over like a beginner. 

My thought process rooted in craving, drives me to practice, I see the attachment to having qigong work out for me at least to get to a stage where one doesnt need to make any effort to practice. if the micro cosmic orbit would come online, I may cross off qigong from my to do list and throw away the list (actually I don't have a list)

• Like 1

What answer ?

Was the original question expanded?

- (where did the benefits of qigong go)

- (find/get to a stage where one doesnt need to make any effort to practice): you want to know if resumed effort activates old benefits?

- IF (microscopic orbit online = suspend or abandon qigong practice) then: A. online/offline B. practice evanesces revelation re QG

benefits C. FriendLee redefined craving (craving = cause MCO to come online?)

What answer ?

Thanks

(I tend twd obtuse, apologies)

On December 21, 2020 at 1:51 PM, sambista2002 said:

What answer ?

Was the original question expanded?

- (where did the benefits of qigong go)

:lol: I forgot the question :lol:

yes the original question was expanded but became irrelevant and embarssing :lol:

- (find/get to a stage where one doesnt need to make any effort to practice): you want to know if resumed effort activates old benefits?

- IF (microscopic orbit online = suspend or abandon qigong practice) then: A. online/offline B. practice evanesces revelation re QG

benefits

mco online = abandon qigong and switch back to open awareness not paying  attention to ldt 

C. FriendLee redefined craving (craving = cause MCO to come online?)

No craving does not cause the mco to come online. Craving for a certain result was the issue, which caused doubt and dissatisfaction, reevaluation of my practice, I felt stuck.

But through signing up here and writing about it, perhaps having a few people listen /read it, there came about a forward movement, like in focusing from gendlin.

What answer ?

Thanks

simple conclusion for me,

patient and consistent practice with awareness centered in ldt instead of open awareness typ practice. 

(I tend twd obtuse, apologies)

(I noticed that :lol: no worries)

Oh yes i tend to be abstruse :lol:

To have the mco come online, I need to pay attention and sink qi to the ldt area, consistently from time of waking, until falling asleep. in a relaxed manner.

Before, I didnt take care of developing a ldt :D

• Thanks 1

C. FriendLee redefined craving (craving = cause MCO to come online?)

Actually, yes. craving is one of the causes.

so thanks @sambista2002

For asking, that caused me to take a closer look and formulate this more clearly for myself.

although that was not what I wanted to say previously,

one could say craving causes the mco, but 

here the causality chain should be eleborated for the benefit of a clearer understanding, not to fall for the delusion.

So I would propose, it goes something like this :

Delusion (MCO = increased happiness) causes craving (i want it)

craving causes discontent (i dont have it)

discontent causes mental action (reevaluation, what to do? how to do?)

mental action causes physical action (dilligent and consistent proper practice)

• Like 1

On December 22, 2020 at 9:23 PM, idiot_stimpy said:

Thank you, you have helped me too.

Thanks to your question, I took a step back, instead of paying attention to the LDT, which may lead to over doing it.

I just remain aware of paying attention to the LDT.

or one could say trying to pay attention to the awareness of the LDT.

• Like 2