Schrodinger

Chronic Fatigue Healing Path

Hey guys,

My name is Frank - I’m here to gain advice in fostering a practice to heal my chronic fatigue, which I’ve been suffering from for the past 5 years. 

I am trying conventional solutions such as watching what I eat (I’m on a paleo diet) and meditating daily, but I’m now looking to work on myself at a deeper level - that is, with more active energy work. I’ve very recently begun following the Qi gong exercises in The Way of Energy by Lam Kam Chuen. I am however open to advice in extending/complimenting this practice with their avenues. For example, I have been looking at the work of mantak chia, and his book ‘Healing Light of The Tao’ looks interesting. The Way of Energy seems more practical than anything so I’m also looking to learn more about the philosophy of the Chinese healing arts. 

I’m willing to do what it takes to get well again and regain my vitality. I lost it in the first place due to several factors; stress at work; overtraining at the gym - preceded by a culmination of negative experiences stemming back to childhood. I spend most of the day in bed - I need to do something now as I’m dying a slow death and my doctors have basically admitted there is nothing they can do other than dose me up on anti depressants. 

So this is where I’m at now . Approaching the new year of 2021, now seems a good time to set new goals and lay the foundation for a more healthy and energetic me.

• Like 1

Hi Schrodinger, It can be a major blessing when you find an art that works for you.  It's not just matter of finding a good art, different things connect to different people.  You'll find a wide variety here, with their proponents and critics.  Look around, use your best judgement and when it looks good. Commit.  Welcome to the site.

We're an eclectic philosophy forum for learning, discussing and cultivation.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and making some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Please take a moment to review our Forum Terms & Rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

The content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of content found on the website.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, spam, obscene, profane, threatens or incites violence, invasive of a person's privacy, nor of denigrating and/or erotically suggestive avatars, signatures, links and pictures, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

-Mal Rules & Use 7/22/11

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

Tao bums is a moderated, privately owned, web site; all who agree with our guiding principals are welcome to join our discussions:

Treat other members with respect. No personal attacks.

Moderators are present to enforce this, please abide by their decisions.

Basically No personal attacks.
It is totally fine to vocally disagree with a person's opinion, technique, politics, approach, lifestyle choice, etc.

But no insulting (or links to attacks) of individuals, nationalities, genders, political preferences, lifestyle choices, etc.
While this may sound restrictive and categorically un-Taoist, I believe it is a useful guideline to help us stop for a moment and think about how to present our perspectives intelligently without just flinging unproductive rudeness at each other. This way other members can receive value from your perspective and you can gain clarity by reasoning out why you initially felt compelled to verbally put down someone else for being different.

No one, including the originating poster, gains anything from statements like "So and so is a complete moron", etc. If you have an opinion and you believe it's relevant to a topic at hand, post it as constructively as possible so we can learn from you, debate with you, ignore you, whatever.

If you can't abide by this simple constructive guideline, either create your post in a PPD or expect it can be moved. This is our mini-octagon here for those of you that insist on a more primitive breed of taoist war.

TheDaoBums' Three Foundations: Eclectic, Egalitarian, Civil.

TDBs' Cultural Context and Founding Principles  ver.2020-Jul-16
The purpose of this document is to concisely state the most fundamental framework principles that give TDBs it's distinctive shape.  This is not "all the rules, permutations, etc",  just the steel beams.

TDBs exists in the general field of "The Search for Truth".
The Usual organized formats (schools) for The Search tend to have:
    1. focus exclusively within a school
    2. hierachical learning structure, hierachical ability to speak
TheDàoBums' founding principles form a deliberate cultural counter-point:
    1. run independently of any school, which allows a more eclectic atmosphere
    2. conversational learning, egalitarian ability for members to speak
TDBs' social format is "cafeteria", not "classroom".  It's part of TDBs' premise that, broadly in culture, these two formats are necessary, distinct yet complementary.

TheDàoBums has a strong egalitarian ethic in that it's whole purpose is to provide a civil very open context for member conversations.  However, its governance structure is mostly top down; it's not a democracy.
- admins - own / run the board
- moderators - enforce rules
- members - converse  :)

TDBs' Conversational Context:
1. At TDBs member participation in conversation is non-hierarchical.  Meaning, members have equal ability to talk regardless of level of knowledge, achievement, or status / credentials of any kind.  TDBs has an underlying ethic of valuing the communication of each person.

2. TDBs most basic rules about conversation are around civility.

• While TDBs provides room for, encourages, lively, often vigorous and sometimes rough and tumble, debate ... that is balanced by protecting decency and sensitivity towards each other in such a variety of instances that no set of specific rules could ever adequately cover.
  • A moderator's basic role is to moderate members' incivility toward each other in conversation.  
  • Members support this process by 'reporting' offending posts

A fictional example of how 1&2 shake out:
If there's a TDBs debate about music between Mozart vs a beginning piano player, and it becomes heated enough that reports are generated for moderator consideration then, still, "level of knowledge, achievement, or status" are not basis for moderation.  Civility is, applied equally to each member.

It's up to each member, not moderators, to sort out the truth (and other questions of quality) for themselves in conversation.  Moderators just keep the conversation civil within reasonable limits.  For issues of staff bias, members can contact the current admin.

The staff (admins, moderators) also deserve and have protection against incivility and against abuse of staff resources.  Staff protection is enforced at the discretion of the admin, lead moderator/s, and by consensus of the moderation team.  The admin also has broad discretion to protect the civility and resources of any aspect within TDBs e-community.

signed,

- Trunk, author & past admin

- Sean, owner & admin of TheDàoBums

Welcome to TDB.

Root chakra issues can often be the source of these kinds of problems. You may wish to investigate some methods that focus on cleansing that area (I recommend steering clear of Mantak). I also do healing professionally ($), you can PM me if you desire. Best of luck. 

Edited by RiverSnake

On 2020-12-18 at 6:15 AM, Schrodinger said:

Hey guys,

My name is Frank - I’m here to gain advice in fostering a practice to heal my chronic fatigue, which I’ve been suffering from for the past 5 years. 

/... ... /

I spend most of the day in bed - I need to do something now as I’m dying a slow death and my doctors have basically admitted there is nothing they can do other than dose me up on anti depressants. 

Hi! 

There is an easy-to-do program developed in Japan that has been evaluated with good results. 

They even have a version for people with so much fatigue they are bed ridden. 

It's free, published and available through Google Scholar. 

PM me and I will link it to you. 

• Like 1

I'd recommend looking at Anthony Korahais course on https://flowingzen.com/  , they have some intro qigong course that is free and frankly one doesn't need that much for starters (though they change sometimes what's on free offer, I don't know whether what I have found "ok" for starters is what they currently have among their free offers, but they always have something). That's if you are looking for something simple and moving. In my book doing Zhang Zhuang that you do is more than fantastic already. And reason for Flowing Zen recommendations is not that it's spectacular or magical but because there's teacher, community, it's online, accessible, and first of all it's a teacher that has a lof ot experience with healing fatigue, depression etc. and has offer targetted at exactly that.

Edited by Leif
  • Like 1

At the risk of sounding like captain obvious I would always recommended Ginseng. As a TCM practitioner I've seen it work wonders for my chronic fatigue patients.

• Like 1

On 1/13/2021 at 11:29 PM, Leif said:

I'd recommend looking at Anthony Korahais course on https://flowingzen.com/  , they have some intro qigong course that is free and frankly one doesn't need that much for starters (though they change sometimes what's on free offer, I don't know whether what I have found "ok" for starters is what they currently have among their free offers, but they always have something). That's if you are looking for something simple and moving. In my book doing Zhang Zhuang that you do is more than fantastic already. And reason for Flowing Zen recommendations is not that it's spectacular or magical but because there's teacher, community, it's online, accessible, and first of all it's a teacher that has a lof ot experience with healing fatigue, depression etc. and has offer targetted at exactly that.

Thanks I’ll check that out - might provide a supplement to my zhang  zhuang practice, which I’m enjoying. The exercises are actually becoming more powerful as I get used to them. My performance is a lot more ‘fluid’ now and I’m feeling the benefits, to an extent. 

The only thing I still struggle with is the ‘standing like a tree’ posture, which is deceptively simple. I can manage 5 minutes if I’m lucky :)

Edited by Schrodinger

On 1/13/2021 at 11:43 PM, dmattwads said:

At the risk of sounding like captain obvious I would always recommended Ginseng. As a TCM practitioner I've seen it work wonders for my chronic fatigue patients.

I will try. Do you recommended any particular brand of supplement, or supplier of fresh roots? I’m uk based.

35 minutes ago, Schrodinger said:

I will try. Do you recommended any particular brand of supplement, or supplier of fresh roots? I’m uk based.

No, no specific supplier. In your case I'd use Asian ginseng as opposed to American.

• Like 1

Hey Shrondinger,

Welcome. Sometimes it feels like we are starting from low, but the only thing that matters is that we are making forward progress. 

Clearly, it seems you took the decision to better yourself in every way, which is inspiring. 

So not much to add, ZZ is very good to “recharge” but maybe consider adding a daily affirmation practice to solidify your momentum, and maintain spiritual fortitude.

You can do it praying to the Sun every morning. Something like:

“Dear Sun, or dear Energy that animates me. You’ve never let me down, even in times of hurting like this and I am so grateful. Help me become stronger so I can respond to my life again. I want to turn myself to your light and dissolve all my mental blockages and fears in your light. They are too much to handle for me, so I surrender them to you. I trust you. I want to trust myself too. Help me see myself in a new light. Make me a new and stronger person every day with a soul free from its shackles of the past. I vow not to look at the darkness anymore, or if I do, I vow to never forget that there is light in darkness. Make me more like you everyday. You are  my true vitality, you are my will to live on this planet and to love. Stay with me at all times, remind me at all times. And once I’m healed, may I use my life to serve you and help others facing the same problems I am currently facing”.

And then imagine your body filled with solar light. Include your mind as part of “the body”.... imagine the light is soothing your mind and thoughts into a state of balance and homeostasis. You can do this before ZZ too. Good luck !

• Like 1

Dear Frank, 

Welcome.

Have you explored mushrooms such as cordyceps, lions mane etc? 

Qigong etc will certainly help, but it seems for a chronic problem, a more profound inspection into your lifestyle might be useful — which you are already doing. 

Good luck and best wishes,

Dwai 

• Like 1