Shadow_self

Greetings

Hello

I came here after lurking for a long time..I was inspired by the posts of @freeform to join as he seemed like a very knowledgable person

I have little to no practical experience in the Internal arts...my breathing is dropped into my lower abdomen always...it never deviates to the chest...It was a habit I got into a few years ago and it stuck...I also breathe comfortably at around 2.5-3 breaths per minute without any training...just something I developed while messing with the latter

I want to begin studying seriously...as I feel the time is ripe....I have a lot of books on the topics on IMA and some occult stuff (Bardon etc)..Ive been looking at the following teachers

Damo Mitchell: The IA Academy

Mark Rasmus: Elastic Force Chi Gong and Initiation into Hermetics

Max Christensen: Kunlun ( I believe he does workshops too, which have some potent methods)

Qianfeng Daoism ( The Taoist Yoga lineage)

I also know the former three are available online...the latter involves a trip to Beijing

My understanding is that Damo labels anything with visualisation as counterproductive...but I also know that MR and MC have stuff that has visualisation....then ive read that MR teaches stuff like proper YJJ principles and that he's quite adept at inner door stuff ( I dont plan nor want to learn how to light things on fire, or attach copper to my perenium )...I just know that if you arent being taught the proper stuff....you're probably spinning your wheels)

My goal is to pierce the veil, and  experience reality beyong this material world in a non imaginary way....basically I am seeking experience of reality beyond this physical plane.....After that who knows.......Im not someone who thinks he'll become an immortal over the course of a few years...so I've set a more realistic goal

With that being said...Id appreciate commentary on the above schools (as detailed as possible please...the more the better) and thank you for having me....its my pleasure to be here :)

• Like 3

Hi Shadow-self, freeform is an impressive writer and person.  You have many worthy goals.  Glad to have you here.  I did a seminar, many years ago w/ Max Christensen.  While Kunlun didn't become a main practice, it was a great experience and its nice to have a system of spontaneous qigong under my belt.  For Bardon's stuff I've found Rawn Clark works to be very helpful.  Not just his notes on the IIH, but he has many Bardon inspired practices see- http://abardoncompanion.de/

Welcome to the site.

We're an eclectic philosophy forum for learning, discussing and cultivation.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and making some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

TDB team

At your leisure, please review-

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

Damo Mitchell: The IA Academy

Mark Rasmus: Elastic Force Chi Gong and Initiation into Hermetics

Max Christensen: Kunlun ( I believe he does workshops too, which have some potent methods)

Qianfeng Daoism ( The Taoist Yoga lineage)

I’m not familiar with Qiangfeng - but I’ve either met or trained with the others.

I think out of those Damo teaches the most authentic Daoist methods. One of the best teachers teaching openly!

I’m also very impressed with Adam Mizener. He teaches taiji and meditation.

Also Wang Li Ping and Nathan Brine (his senior western student) - teaches real methods... though missing some key foundational elements from what I can see.

Welcome to the forum :) 

• Like 1

On 14/12/2020 at 4:30 AM, thelerner said:

Hi Shadow-self, freeform is an impressive writer and person.  You have many worthy goals.  Glad to have you here.  I did a seminar, many years ago w/ Max Christensen.  While Kunlun didn't become a main practice, it was a great experience and its nice to have a system of spontaneous qigong under my belt.  For Bardon's stuff I've found Rawn Clark works to be very helpful.  Not just his notes on the IIH, but he has many Bardon inspired practices see- http://abardoncompanion.de/

Welcome to the site.

We're an eclectic philosophy forum for learning, discussing and cultivation.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and making some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

TDB team

At your leisure, please review-

Thank you :)

I dont know a whole lot about Max...I did a lot of digging and spoke to many people about him...and my gut feeling is that he has some good practices but not as much structure? Ive seen the other stuff he teaches like red phoenix and red dragon explained ...yet still have no idea what it is actually meant to be achieving...

My understanding is that the Kunlun posture basically works to purge out energetic and mental blockages (spontaneous qigong)

Red Phoenix is to set the UDT in motion...the corresponding 2 and 3 then step it down

Red dragon works with the middle field

And he gives some kind of transmission related to the RP work.....some form of Qi perhaps?

The one breath being central to all techniques

That was my understanding of it...theres also reports of all sorts of weird stuff....everything from spirits to children springing up pulling Kunlun postures in the twilight hours....sounds fascinating and all...but I cant help but wonder what it is linked to?

Correct me by all means.....it wouldnt surpise me if it wasnt accurate? I have the old Kunlun Book...not the blue one..the one that came out earlier...seems to be very like Jenny Lambs work..I cannot comment on the new one

As for the IIH line....that really confuses me....It seems to have a great reputation amongst people...yet it is packed with things like visualisations that make it feel like it wouldnt be fruitful?. I have heard about Rawn Clarke and Mark Rasmus as the two authorities on the topic...yet I have no idea about Rawn, or his achievments...but Ive heard good things about Mark....who seems to have some skill in other arts too

On 14/12/2020 at 9:13 PM, freeform said:

I’m not familiar with Qiangfeng - but I’ve either met or trained with the others.

I think out of those Damo teaches the most authentic Daoist methods. One of the best teachers teaching openly!

I’m also very impressed with Adam Mizener. He teaches taiji and meditation.

Also Wang Li Ping and Nathan Brine (his senior western student) - teaches real methods... though missing some key foundational elements from what I can see.

Welcome to the forum :) 

Thank you :)

Yes nor I..There are a few people here in the UK that claim it is legitimate...and travel...but I take that with a pinch of salt...many people think many things are legitimate......and ive wasted my time on things in the past unfortunately...so wont be going there again unless i know it is legitimate....and taoist yoga is too much of an encrypted code to decipher....so I  have kind of just threw it in there on the off chance that someone might know something :)

I am really impressed by Damo Mitchell....I am most likely a paycheck away from starting his IA academy...he seems genuine and not out to trick anyone.

As for Wang Liping and Nathan...I have Nathans book...it is certainly interesting, though not as comprehensive as Damos...I also felt there was a lack of all the physical work Damo spoke about....I interpreted from the book that Nathan had done a lot of other stuff before he met WLP?....and that perhaps that would be interesting to pursure like Nathan...after a few years of physical conditioning

Like I mentioned, ive little interest in the pursuit of "power"....and would view it as a byproduct rather than a goal..It is answers about the nature and structure of mind and reality, and what underpins it I am after....and the after death state.....whatever form that takes im game as long as im not led down a false road or given only pieces of the puzzle.

• Like 3