XianGong

Pyrokinesis Discussion

A very interesting ability developed through cultivation. One of the milestones in the development of internal power.

How does pyrokinesis works? At a certain temperature, objects just go on fire. This is no miracle or supernatural, its just physics. The temperature of going on fire varies between objects. At high levels of ability, masters would be able to burn metal and mould it into all kind of objects.

But also if you can produce a spark of electricity externally, it could possibly burn, easily inflammable objects like paper.

Energy or Qi when in abundance produces Heat. This heat is easy to feel inside, but to produce a lot of heat outside and to focus into a focal point is going to be difficult.

Lower Dan Tien represents itself a sea of Qi, which at an intermediate stage of cultivation turns into an electric field. Qi transforms into electricity naturally when you have enough of Qi. If you don't have Electricity inside, your Qi is not enough, weak Qi. Once Dan Tien is full of electric power it will become possible to project it outside which can lead both to giving electric jolts and to burning some easy to burn objects.

Whom do you know who has this ability?
How hard - years of cultivation, do you think it takes to develop such power?

• Like 1

There's an old survival trick.  When camping bring along a pad of steel wool and 9 volt battery.  If you need fire touch the wool to both positive and negative knobs.  The steel wool will quickly grow red hot and you can start a fire from it. 

If, before there's fire there is electricity, then I think it'll be easier to find people who can shock others.  Not that crazy a skill, seeing we are bio-electrical beings.  There are a couple high level practitioners, mostly on the healing side, who are said to have the ability to shock others, on touch.  John Chang was famous for it.   So is Robert Peng and he's alive and teaches, I believe.  Might be interesting to see if any of his senior students make the same claim.  With decades of study, one is more likely to become like the advanced student, rather then the master.   

At a Healing Dao retreat I talked to someone who said Peng shocked them.  Was awhile ago.  But you find testimonials like.. (https://www.robertpeng.com/testimonials)

“Robert’s work is unique. I never felt anything as powerful. As his fingers touched certain points on my face and neck, I felt surges of Qi which I would describe as ‘zapping’ or mild electric shocks. It was a remarkable experience. I know of no other Qigong Master who can do this.” Tom Banasiak, Shiatsu Therapist and Certified Teacher

Don't know any pyrokinetic people, but if you wanted to find out about shocking.. you could write and respectfully ask Robert Peng, perhaps he'd know.  On the hand, practitioners might be turned off by that kind of question.  ie they're serious people and not side show performers.  They have nothing to prove to strangers and attracting clingy 'I want powers' students might not be their goal.  Better odds,  people like Peng want 'I want to learn to heal others' kind of people. 

• Like 1

There are quite a few of these masters once you get into the right "circles". Many of the authentic masters can Fa Qi. There are some that sacrifice their health to be able to do it - and develop in the wrong direction, and others that do it correctly and authentically and only use Fa Qi to help others (for instance, helping a student move from beyond a certain plateau). 

But being focused on pyrokinesis is really heading in the wrong direction. It's cool and all, and it shows the immense capability of a human being. But being focused on developing that exact skill is IMHO completely heading in the wrong direction. What could be a better goal IMO is creating the foundation which makes developing such skills possible. Hopefully after the time and dedication you've put into the gong fu, you will no longer have such a strong desire to light things on fire as hopefully you will have worked on your mind and your teachers will have taught you Xing methods too. 🔥 :) 

With proper dedication and time, maybe around 5 hours of pushing yourself to the utmost every single day and having the right authentic techniques from a master, it would probably take around 10+ years? Something like that is what I imagine. For most people it takes around 5+ years just to change their body using the YJJ principles. I'd imagine Fa Qi is way ahead of that, but you'd have to ask someone else to be sure. 

Good luck :) 

Edited by anshino23
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, anshino23 said:

But being focused on pyrokinesis is really heading in the wrong direction. It's cool and all, and it shows the immense capability of a human being. But being focused on developing that exact skill is IMHO completely heading in the wrong direction.

Never did I say I am focused on pyrokinesis, it is one out of 30 abilities in my cultivation roadmap. There are other more interesting abilities, Levitation is one of them. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, XianGong said:

Never did I say I am focused on pyrokinesis, it is one out of 30 abilities in my cultivation roadmap. There are other more interesting abilities, Levitation is one of them. 

I'm sorry that's all you took from my message. 

1 hour ago, anshino23 said:

I'm sorry that's all you took from my message. 

4 hours ago, anshino23 said:

you will have worked on your mind and your teachers will have taught you Xing methods too

Doubt there is any benefit in those. Not so interesting.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, XianGong said:

... Levitation is one of them. 

Levitation is very exciting for me and to think we could be able to do things that most think are fantasy.

22 minutes ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Levitation is very exciting for me and to think we could be able to do things that most think are fantasy.

Walking in Air like the boss. A true sign of high-level cultivator.

One time near a river the Buddha saw a yogi. When the yogi saw the Buddha the yogi proceeded to tell him how he had spent the past 20 years developing the ability to walk on water and that was how he had crossed the river. The yogi then proceeded to ask the Buddha how he was able to cross the river, and the Buddha replied that he just used a boat. 

• Like 1

People chasing abilities for the sake of abilities usually end up dead early. There’s a specific mechanic to this that I don’t 100% understand - but it’s to do with the Ming.

I’ve come across a couple of schools that specifically focus on attracting the students who are chasing abilities... they create the causes in the student directly so that they can manifest certain Qi abilities - and then they put them to work in a qigong hospital...

Firstly the skill is not the student’s own. So if the teacher doesn’t keep charging them up, they’ll quickly lose their ability.

And secondly the student is unknowingly trading something a lot more precious for these temporary abilities... And this will become evident later in life.

Be wary of schools that dangle abilities as a carrot - there’s a reason they’re doing this. Equally be wary of schools that say these abilities don’t exist - because they do and they should come about as a byproduct of training.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, freeform said:

People chasing abilities for the sake of abilities usually end up dead early. There’s a specific mechanic to this that I don’t 100% understand - but it’s to do with the Ming.

I’ve come across a couple of schools that specifically focus on attracting the students who are chasing abilities... they create the causes in the student directly so that they can manifest certain Qi abilities - and then they put them to work in a qigong hospital...

Firstly the skill is not the student’s own. So if the teacher doesn’t keep charging them up, they’ll quickly lose their ability.

And secondly the student is unknowingly trading something a lot more precious for these temporary abilities... And this will become evident later in life.

Be wary of schools that dangle abilities as a carrot - there’s a reason they’re doing this. Equally be wary of schools that say these abilities don’t exist - because they do and they should come about as a byproduct of training.

The abilities that come as a by-product of cultivation come from the mind which is limitless. The powers that come from seeking power come from the ego which is quite limited. This is why powers of the ego weaken the being, and powers of the mind do not. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

The abilities that come as a by-product of cultivation come from the mind which is limitless. The powers that come from seeking power come from the ego which is quite limited. This is why powers of the ego weaken the being, and powers of the mind do not. 

Yes - in essence you can be strong as a byproduct of becoming resilient, confident and healthy...

Or you can be strong as a reaction to a sense of weakness or vulnerability you feel inside...

One is the archetype of the benevolent leader and the other a bully...

One is built on a healthy foundation of strength... the other is built on a foundation that is rotting from within...

——

In the world of cultivation - when you have a lot of Qi, you in effect create a very strong link between your mind, body and spirit.

That means there’s an extra responsibility we take on... Because now, any amount of poison will affect all three...

Whereas in normal people who aren’t so connected the effect stays in one layer instead...

For a normal person lusting after sex or power is normal and it will come and go.

In a cultivator with a lot of Qi, allowing lust to take hold will begin to transform the quality of every part of you - mind body and spirit... This over time changes you at the very core... and creates a lot of karma... 

That’s why there is so much talk of virtue and ethical behaviour in the classics.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

Rest assured I am interested in abilities that come from cultivation that are limitless.

Not looking for weak ego powers.

16 minutes ago, XianGong said:

Rest assured I am interested in abilities that come from cultivation that are limitless.

I am not doubting you but since the nature of the ego is delusion how would one know if they were or were not seeking powers of the ego and for the ego? How would one make the distinction?

Seeking limitless power is still seeking power which is still of the ego.

Edited by dmattwads
  • Like 1

In my fantasies, I´d like to be able to levitate and light things on fire with my mind too.  For me, this desire to obtain supranormal powers is a sure sign that my self-esteem could use a little wholesome bolstering.  I want to feel superhuman because some part of me feels subhuman.  When I find myself engrossed in flying fantasies, it´s time to treat myself with compassion and realize that I´m OK.  If I work really hard on becoming my best self and someday levitation comes along with the package, well, that would be great.  In the meantime, little ole Luke is OK right now, just the way he is.

Edited by liminal_luke
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

I am not doubting you but since the nature of the ego is delusion how would one know if they were or were not seeking powers of the ego and for the ego? How would one make the distinction?

Seeking limitless power is still seeking power which is still of the ego.

You can know it if you work with ego and delusions. Personally, I have forced delusions to kick the bucket and I have freed myself of ego.

35 minutes ago, XianGong said:

A little caveat from my personal experience. If you play with fire you may get burned. Playing with cosmic forces is no joke!

The draw to and for powers is just one of a myriad of ways the thing that we think of as being "our-Self" seeks to make itself more real. The actual "thing" that our illusion of self uses is really immaterial. Some seek wealth, some seek fame, some seek power whether it be political, influence, or mystical. Anything that supports, props up, and builds this idea we have of what our Self is, comes from that same notion of self. 

The problem comes usually on a subconscious level due to the fact that at some level we feel that this idea of self is an illusion but this notion of self desperately wants to survive and perpetuate itself. So therefore anything that threatens this idea of what our "true self" is we see as evil or threatening. On the other hand, anything that we perceive as building up this idea of "self" is seen as "good" or desirable".

This is why when the Buddha was asked what was the most important superpower he replied that the ability to teach the dharma effectively was the most important power. And what is the dharma? It is the realization that this false idea of a self is indeed false. Letting go of the whole illusion of what we think we are is the most important superpower. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, XianGong said:

You can know it if you work with ego and delusions. Personally, I have forced delusions to kick the bucket and I have freed myself of ego.

Really?

Just now, ralis said:

Really?

Yes.

1 minute ago, ralis said:

A little caveat from my personal experience. If you play with fire you may get burned. Playing with cosmic forces is no joke!

That's why you have to be smart when developing abilities, grow fire resistance first. 

Just now, XianGong said:

Yes.

That's why you have to be smart when developing abilities, grow fire resistance first. 

Please inform everyone reading how you will pull that one off. 

2 minutes ago, dmattwads said:

The problem comes usually on a subconscious level due to the fact that at some level we feel that this idea of self is an illusion but this notion of self desperately wants to survive and perpetuate itself. So therefore anything that threatens this idea of what our "true self" is we see as evil or threatening. On the other hand, anything that we perceive as building up this idea of "self" is seen as "good" or desirable".

This is why when the Buddha was asked what was the most important superpower he replied that the ability to teach the dharma effectively was the most important power. And what is the dharma? It is the realization that this false idea of a self is indeed false. Letting go of the whole illusion of what we think we are is the most important superpower. 

I think the major flaw in this philosophy that by deleting self and minimizing it, you get people who can not do anything in life, yes they have no money, no abilities, no power, they also have no personal life, and no cultivation, they let go of themselves, and then they just die, earlier than others due to their body being weak and untrained, with no self.

Just now, XianGong said:

I think the major flaw in this philosophy that by deleting self and minimizing it, you get people who can not do anything in life, yes they have no money, no abilities, no power, they also have no personal life, and no cultivation, they let go of themselves, and then they just die, earlier than others due to their body being weak and untrained, with no self.

Seeing the lack of these things as suffering is a very interesting point of view for someone that has no ego don't you think?