A cat in Istanbul, named Tombili, used to spend a lot of time watching the goings-on while sitting in this relaxed pose in this particular spot.  A sculpture of him erected in that spot honors his life.  

May be an image of outdoors  

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

I don't know what she just ate.  I hope it was a poacher.

May be an image of big cat and outdoors

One thing that strikes me as a taoist about wild felines (who've been around for 35 million years -- something we as a brand new and, in evolutionary terms, un-established, experimental species, can only dream of accomplishing) is the ultimate yin-yang interplay.  Most of their daily lives are spent in a relaxed, soft, gentle wuwei state, interfering with nothing, being cats, just being.  No aimless activity, just aimless inactivity -- like that of the ocean, lazy, sleepy, free of desires, open to play, open to no play...  an open, receptive state of mind and no-mind.  And then, when necessary and only then -- a powerful burst of sharply focused energy, short and decisive, a kill for food, a quest for procreation -- and again enjoying total contentment, embracing life and play, life as play and pleasure.  True yin and true yang.      

And despite being obligatory carnivores, cats have never driven a single species of animals they hunt for to extinction.  They don't take more than they need, and they don't need to take it all. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The people of Turkey have a deep love of their feral felines...

Kedi-film-poster.jpg

I enjoyed this documentary on the relationship of Turkish street cats and their human coinhabitants.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, silent thunder said:

The people of Turkey have a deep love of their feral felines...

Kedi-film-poster.jpg

I enjoyed this documentary on the relationship of Turkish street cats and their human coinhabitants.

It's a great documentary.  It patched up some of my faith in humanity...  just a little.  

• Like 2

74 cats currently live in the Hermitage, a museum of art and culture in Saint Petersburg, Russia, the second-largest art museum in the world.  Cats have always lived there since the museum's founding date of 1764, to protect the art work from mice and to interact with visitors.  Currently most of them come from the streets.  After veterinary treatment they are installed in the museum and made available for adoption.  Many get adopted (whereupon new ones are brought in to take their place), others call the huge and magnificent palace their forever home.   

0qcst96iblr61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=ade225d875ae7b37007ccf8afeb31d59e19c7b5c

6dz3o26iblr61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=b86fc0a958330c0bf17dacfc525f577f8e1cd6ad

tdlidv5iblr61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=1d238bfa73cde7dfa3d8db8ec6d0017146ef7f28

54ixud6iblr61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=e90b173ed3ebe45600a7a53371c35bb71c875f79

zp02mi6iblr61.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&auto=webp&s=c485c20a2dfab3b74c728072aa9441002208dd29

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Hm seems the cats have largely left Egypt. Two tomcats arrived last month, from where, no one knows. Tim ended up with a white long haired blue eyed cat and Jess got the yellow/orange tiger stripped one. Both seem mellow.

there have been recent sightings of a black bobcat. I’ve never heard of such a thing.

• Like 1

Turns out that after all these years, I still don't know the whole story of the 4th of July and what exactly this holiday is about.  Someone ought to explain to me this 1907 postcard issued in celebration:

4g9x1mmz5bw61.jpg?width=379&auto=webp&s=b54964535449958caa29ef24408da1998012be37

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Turns out that after all these years, I still don't know the whole story of the 4th of July and what exactly this holiday is about.  Someone ought to explain to me this 1907 postcard issued in celebration:

4g9x1mmz5bw61.jpg?width=379&auto=webp&s=b54964535449958caa29ef24408da1998012be37

Tormenting cats is good fun and something good boys do? Presumably because it prepares them to become soldiers so they can be good tools for the state when a smaller country needs som good whopping. 

• Sad 1

Poppa cat reminds me of an old Star Trek episode  ( that impressed me as a child )  ;

They went to a planet where everyone had one side of their body black and the other white ... just like Puss's head up there . (Okay , its actually  grey, with white in the middle )

The crew was amazed and impressed with them 'How amazing that you have avoided the issue of racial prejudice in this natural way ! 

The 'aliens' ; " What is racial prejudice ? "  It is explained and they are rather horrified and unimpressed at the lack of human evolution in this regard . The crew is a little embarrassed .

Later it is announced that the aliens have found a criminal, he is bought in and they are disgusted by him " Look at him , the dirty criminal  - disgusting , he should not be allowed to live  . "  The crew asks what he did ?   " Did ?   ... Did ?  Why just look at the dirty criminal, cant you tell from just one look ? "

" But he looks just like you . "

What ?   How  dare you suggest such a thing   ....  it is plain for everyone to see  - we are black on the left and white on the right , but this  ..... thing ..... is  black on the right and white on the left  "

Ho - hum . ...  at least cats dont seem to mind  which half is black or white or if you are all black or  white or   grey and black with some white in the middle

cat-heart_1849648b.jpg

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Poppa cat reminds me of n old Star Trek episode  ( that impressed me as a child )  ;

They went to a planet where everyone had one side of their body black and the other white ... just like Puss's head up there .

The crew was amazed and impressed with them 'How amazing that you have voided the issue of racial prejudice in this natural way ! 

The 'aliens' ; " What is racial prejudice ? "  It is explained and they are rather horrified and unimpressed at the lack of human evolution in this regard . The crew is a little embarrassed .

Later it is announced that the aliens have found a criminal, he is bought in and they are disquieted by him " Loom aat him , the dirty criminal  - disgusting , he should not be allowed to live  . "  The crew asks what he did ?   " Did ?   ... Did ?  Why just look aaat the dirty criminal, cant you tell from just one look ? "

" But he looks just like you . "

What ?   How  dare you suggest such a thing   ....  it is plain for everyone to see  - we are black on the left and white on the right , but this  ..... thing ..... is  black on the right and white on the left  "

Ho - hum . ...  at least cats dont seem to mind  which half is black or white or if you are all black or  white .

cat-heart_1849648b.jpg

My first cat teacher, who was five years older than me, was black and white.  Year after year she brought litter after litter of kittens, and no two litters were the same colors.  Some kittens were smoky grey, some, calico, some, striped, and so on.  She treated them all with impartiality.  

This is an approximation of what she looked like:

ЧеÑно-белÑе коÑки: ÑолÑко ÑакÑÑ | Ilike.pet | Ð¯Ð½Ð´ÐµÐºÑ Ðзен