Its not really a cat .

Its a marsupial called a  ' native cat'   as  they fulfilled the role of feleformia ' here in this environment .  He was a 'cheeky fellow '  *

( The thylacine  was called 'Tasmanian Tiger'  which related more to its  'stripes ,   but its niche was more like caniformia.  )

Spotted Quoll   ( or 'Tiger Quoll ' , just to confuse things more )

spotted-tail-quoll-caversham-wildlife-pa

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_quoll

The rainforest around here is one of their rare habitats .

image.png.8bf917caf15807c021984554fefc29dd.png

Ummm .... dont try to pick one up .

image.png.23f46e45f9a9fc644c7e47a80725f868.png

Spoiler

In the Dreamtime all  the animals where sitting  around a fire discussing philosophy .   What happens when we die , do we come back and live again ?" asked wallaby .    "Oh yes, I am sure we do ." said  Goanna  and the other animals agreed.

But Quoll, he said  no  " You die and thats it ! No coming back. "

" No, " said  Emu, " I was talking to Moon Man and I asked him and he said '  Yes, you will go away and come back again, like I do . " '

" No, "  said Quoll  " he lies ! "

So the other animals got pissed with him and they grabbed hot sticks from the fire and poked him with the burning ends  ... that's how he got all them spots .

" Cheeky" also means  'deadly'     (in the Euro sense , not in the  Aboriginal sense   :D    -  which means ' excellent, or very good, in the same way that wicked is  used by many young English speakers )  -  while "Cheeky" may be used to describe a dog or other animal that is likely to bite or attack . eg.  'cheeky snake '  - venomous , a non - venomous snake would be 'rubbish " ... a 'rubbish snake '

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Its not really a cat .

That's not the main problem with this animal.  There's many non-cats in the world who make the best of it.  This one didn't even try.  

Nice story though.  

10 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

That's not the main problem with this animal.  ...

?   :huh:

10 hours ago, Nungali said:

?   :huh:

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but this animal does look like an alcoholic making an ugly scene in response to the barmen refusing to serve him another drink.  

1 hour ago, Taomeow said:

Didn't mean to hurt your feelings, but this animal does look like an alcoholic making an ugly scene in response to the barmen refusing to serve him another drink.  

Oh, I get you now .  They do have a bad rep in the animal world  - ie  the other animals are not too keen on them . A friend was telling me she has a 'monster' in the gully at her place ;   ' I heard a  sound like I never heard before , an angry violent  snarly sound coming from the gully , then all these   little animals and birds came bolting out the undergrowth and took off  in a panic ."

The next morning I found a little potaroo with its head ripped off  on my front lawn  .... yep, that's a quoll.

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

On 05/01/2021 at 8:27 AM, Taomeow said:

Gonna get married.

Image may contain: one or more people and cat

Someone is out there making cat tuxedos  ?   (He does look very smart though  ! )

I would  not  be surprised if it was a real wedding  .... and we now have cat wedding caterers .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Someone is out there making cat tuxedos  ?   (He does look very smart though  ! )

I would  not  be surprised if it was a real wedding  .... and we now have cat wedding caterers .

Notice the wedding gifts in the pic too.  Unlike with humans it's not gifts in boxes -- it's the boxes themselves that are the gift.  

Why Do Cats Love Boxes and Bags?-Kittentoob

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

so does science happen to know what a cats vision is like compared to human vision?  (advantages or disadvantage to cats eyes compared to ours?)

On 1/12/2021 at 11:02 PM, old3bob said:

so does science happen to know what a cats vision is like compared to human vision?  (advantages or disadvantage to cats eyes compared to ours?)

Cats can see in the dark, have a wider field of vision, and in all likelihood faster saccades that let them detect motion faster.  Humans are thought to have better color vision.  I've seen assertions that cats are far-sighted.  I'm not sure it's true, based on my actual experience of catwatching.  I believe they have second sight and can see into the future, but I don't have any scientific evidence, only empirical.  I also suspect they can see auras, definitely can see ghosts, and some can see into the human heart.  

In any event, when Malevich's Black Square wakes up, the sight it chooses over that of a human is this:

Image may contain: text that says 'квадÑÐ°Ñ Ð¼Ð°Ð»ÐµÐ²Ð¸Ñа гÑÑÑÑно вздоÑнÑл и оÑкÑÑл глаза. Ñолпа в ÑжаÑе оÑпÑÑнÑла.'

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

He isn’t looking to pleased about it... 

I think he looks determined, even defiant -- I'm getting married, hell or high water.  Or maybe -- I'm wearing a tuxedo, hell or high water.  Or maybe -- I'll cut your throat in your sleep for doing this to me.    

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

I think he looks determined, even defiant -- I'm getting married, hell or high water.  Or maybe -- I'm wearing a tuxedo, hell or high water.  Or maybe -- I'll cut your throat in your sleep for doing this to me.    

Is it awful that I found the final option the funniest?

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Is it awful that I found the final option the funniest?

Me too...

It always irritates me to see people dressing up their pets for photos.

1 hour ago, steve said:

Me too...

It always irritates me to see people dressing up their pets for photos.

Me three -- unless they train them as warrior cats and dress them in samurai armor.

Read What's The Story Behind The Samurai Walking A Cat, Anyway? Online

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

or as  loyal subjects   of mice   Pharaohs  

download-1.png?w=385&h=308

10664.jpg?v=1600526704

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Nungali said:

or as  loyal subjects   of mice   Pharaohs  

download-1.png?w=385&h=308

10664.jpg?v=1600526704

Take a closer look.  It's the mouse pharaohs who are dressed up, cats aren't, and may just be playing with typical cat toys.  Whether for their own entertainment or the pharaoh's is hard to tell.  Perhaps both.