rex

Welcome to the Charnel Ground

I've enjoyed this practice.  I find Chod to be kind of a strange sort of metta meditation.  Learning and making peace with ones 'demons'.  I've made the youtube below into an mp3, cut out some of the preamble and its a great and unusual guided meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQcFfniDvY

Thanks for the reminder about Chod.  I'll use this meditation tonight. 

• Like 2

A very powerful meditation. I can't say that I enjoyed my first taste, it got a little close for comfort. However, the large healing potential quickly becomes apparent.  Very impressive. Thanks both for the article and the video.

• Thanks 1

I have just read in the video comments that one person notes similarities between Chod and "working the Qliphoth". Is anyone here able to elaborate on this.

Lojong and Chod are deeply powerful practices, but it really is worth meeting someone who knows them can work on them with you. I can deeply recommend Norman Fischer's very relatable "Training in Compassion" for beginners interested in the Lojong part.  Tonglen alone, or (in my experience) in concert with Metta practice, are great for developing relative bodhicitta and transforming self-cherishing. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/11/2020 at 10:57 PM, thelerner said:

I've enjoyed this practice.  I find Chod to be kind of a strange sort of metta meditation.  Learning and making peace with ones 'demons'.  I've made the youtube below into an mp3, cut out some of the preamble and its a great and unusual guided meditation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQcFfniDvY

Thanks for the reminder about Chod.  I'll use this meditation tonight. 

Great video! 'Feeding Your Demons' is not Chod proper, but an accessible adaption of the principles for modern secular use in personal integration and healing.

On 18/11/2020 at 12:41 PM, rocala said:

I have just read in the video comments that one person notes similarities between Chod and "working the Qliphoth". Is anyone here able to elaborate on this.

Depends what exactly "working the Qliphoth" entails. It could cover a range of motivations with very different goals, from the sinister, to the misguided, to the redemptive. Chod is altruistic and redemptive. When the bone trumpet is blown it is an invitation for actual unseen guests to arrive, some of whom will be dangerous with a penchant for blood and trouble.  As the article concludes, Chod is about restoring the relationship with oneself and others, both seen and unseen: 

"In that light, Machik’s emphasis on altruism toward nonhuman spirits, especially hostile beings and meek spirits, is powerful. The practice of Chöd unveils and strengthens our immense capacity to be present with whatever arises, no matter how difficult it may be, without shutting down. We become increasingly courageous and caring for all things, human and nonhuman, while waking up to what is. Our hearts are cracked wide open and we become fearless bodhisattvas to the world."

I don't imagine that "working the Qliphoth" is for the naive and unprepared. Similarly to be safe Chod needs transmission and preliminary training. As it happens the article's author has a book on the Chod foundations:

The Heart of Chö: Volume One - Chö Foundations

Edited by rex
Tpyos
  • Like 2