Ajay0

Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions

Hi all,

I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light in the major world religions....

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures considers the Shivalingam as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be an incorporeal point of light.

The Upanishads and enlightened masters have also described Spirit or Brahman to be self-luminous.

Teachings of the Dharmic religion Sikhism also reveal God to be self-luminous. (Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light. (13-5, DnwsrI, m 1 ) )

Similarly, the Abrahamic religions also associate God with light.

In Islam, Allah has 100 name's, and one of them is Alnoor ( the Light).

“God is light,” says 1 John 1:5, in the Bible in Christianity.

In Judaism, Psalm 76:4 says of God, “You are radiant with light.”

In the Bahai religion, it is stated thus, "This is the Day whereon naught can be seen except the splendors of the Light that shineth from the face of Thy Lord, the Gracious, the Most Bountiful."(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 29)

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these Dharmic and Abrahamic major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well, light being emitted by the fire.

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict. If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here.

Thanking in advance.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Wouldn't it be nice if all followers of the worlds religions realized what you have discovered. 

All worshiping the same, just in a different way.

The light of being will be and always has been that which cannot be described or put into words. 

• Like 4

Like spokes on a wheel...

each spoke may be called by a different name,

may be a different color, or material even.

Yet they all meet at the emptiness in the center,

around which the wheels turns.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

I have come across some observations which depict an interesting correlation between God and light in the major world religions....

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict.

Hi Ajay0,

We get enlightened through religions, philosophies, practices, friends...

To me light pertains to life and living...

Some Bums at TDB have light up my life...

They have rekindled the light within me as my seven chakras come alive...

b644fcc84a1e553b0526a81be49b9e82.gif

Such is light to me.

- Anand

• Like 3

6 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

The light of being will be and always has been that which cannot be described or put into words. 

The light of being

23dda-sicrodestinocmovimiento.gif?w=384&h=484

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ajay0 said:

Hi all,

In Hinduism, the Vedas and Hindu scriptures considers the Shivalingam as representing a cosmic pillar of light. The Dharmic monotheistic sect the Prajapita Brahmakumaris consider God to be an incorporeal point of light.

The Upanishads and enlightened masters have also described Spirit or Brahman to be self-luminous.

Teachings of the Dharmic religion Sikhism also reveal God to be self-luminous. (Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light. (13-5, DnwsrI, m 1 ) )

In the Bahai religion, it is stated thus, "This is the Day whereon naught can be seen except the splendors of the Light that shineth from the face of Thy Lord, the Gracious, the Most Bountiful."(Baha'u'llah, Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 29)

So this correlation between God and light, is a common denominator in these Dharmic and Abrahamic major world religions.

Imo, the fire worship in Zoroastrianism may be illustrating this correlation between God (Ahura Mazda ) and light as well, light being emitted by the fire.

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict. If you find any further proofs or evidences in this regard, please do share it here.

Thanking in advance.

Judaism > kabbalah > the supernal triad > the top point or origin / point of first spiritual manifestation .

'behind' that  are the three veils of negative existence  Ain, ( nothing, no, emptiness,  etc )    Ain Soph, (limitless)    Ain Soph Aur (limitless eternal light ) .

All religions have an inner core that is similar because all people have characteristics that are similar .   I did Baha'i studies for a time (as well as , earlier and as a background , Comparative Religion    studies .  The Baha's are big on this theme  and have continued the idea of Progressive Revelation ( like in the stream of prophets Christianity accepts , up to Christ ) through history. That is, they see all major prophets and religions as manifestations of one religion that is  bought with modifications for specific periods of evolution by an eras relevant prophet  who teaches the essential religion with temporal and regional modifications.  ( They see that now we have a global society forming so now those temporal and regional modifications have 'morphed' into a MUCH wider perspective . )

Regarding light ,  its fairly obvious ;  probably the oldest form of religion and worship in the world . Light rules everything and s the source of life for everything  (ultimately ), what better symbol for 'God' ?

atenNcontxt.jpg

By studying the Baha'i writings on this you will find a wealth of the examples abut the essential similar core of religions  .

https://bahaiteachings.org/bahai-concept-progressive-revelation/

What these essentials of all religions actually are is probably best studied in the Bahai' context , other than than much narrower views of  Christianity or Islam , for example .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Wouldn't it be nice if all followers of the worlds religions realized what you have discovered. 

All worshiping the same, just in a different way.

Ummm . well  Ajayo didnt really discover this  - he may have 'discovered it for himself '.  regarding the leaders of the world , they have already been informed  ;

https://www.bahaullah.org/adrianople/bahaullah-writes-rulers

and every so often the religious leaders of the world  the get a reminder

https://www.bahai.org/documents/the-universal-house-of-justice/letter-worlds-religious-leaders

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 11/19/2020 at 9:03 PM, Edward M said:

amazing topic, very inspiring, thanks for original post and replies to it :) 

peace

Hi Edward M,

Has peace been lighted up for you?

tumblr_og90yz0zAz1vkoyxto1_500.gif

- Anand

On 11/16/2020 at 6:42 PM, Ajay0 said:

I would say this may provide more proof that the major world religions are identical in their core, with only superficial differences on the outside creating cause for extremism and conflict.

Hi Ajay0,

th?id=OIP.AjKadvrvjNA4WQ023ZB7OAHaFc&pid=Api&P=0&w=235&h=174

All apples are the same at their cores?

th?id=OIP.9sOxp0rZML3UKEIzLiBCigHaD9&pid=Api&P=0&w=290&h=156

- Anand

On 11/16/2020 at 2:42 AM, Ajay0 said:

Hi all,

In Hinduism, ...

Wow!  Nice research & quotes!

For a very long time, I only did meditation on stillness: just followed the breath & quieted the mind.

No visualizations.  In fact: let all images go.  Allows subconscious material to arise and dissolve.  Practices a kind of humility ... naturally diminishes “the mind of man” and increases “the mind of Tao” / emptiness.

Tremendously helpful, important foundation.

I was categorically against visualization.

However, for a while now, I’ve been including minimal visualization, usually some variation of the pearl, and it includes light.  Super helpful.  More recently I’ve been a little more exploratory about visualizing light (not only a pearl in the central channel) and I continue to find it helpful.  I feel that visualizing a little light assists in refining~healing my humanness, also helps me gradually connect to a deeper light.

Nice topic! :)

- Trunk

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Trunk said:

However, for a while now, I’ve been including minimal visualization, usually some variation of the pearl, and it includes light.  Super helpful.

Hi Trunk,

A little light...

Arcturus_0005b.gif

- Anand

• Like 1

"According to sutra the root of cyclic existence is our misconception that things have true existence.  According to tantra this [mis]conception and the energy wind on which it rides are responsible.  Since mind and energy are always together, tantric practice concentrates on halting the activity of the energy winds which serve as mounts for such [mis]conceptions.  By gathering these coarser energies into the central channel of the subtle body and by causing them to remain and dissolve there, their activity ceases as does that of the coarser mental states allied to them.  This allows subtle awareness to become active.  One of the main purposes of tantric practice is to make manifest the actual clear light, namely subtle awareness in a blissful state experiencing reality."

- The Three Principal Aspects of the Path, pg 42

This is in the intro of the above book (not the body of the book) and summarizes a key part of the vajrayana process.

• Thanks 1

On 11/23/2020 at 9:31 AM, Trunk said:

"One of the main purposes of tantric practice is to make manifest the actual clear light, namely subtle awareness in a blissful state experiencing reality."

I like the practice of Dzogchen although I cannot speak on its behalf. It is so direct in pointing to the above mentioned subtle awareness in a blissful state experiencing reality.

The Wedding of the Sun and Moon says:

Whoever has become familiar with this,
By having let things rest without all seeking
Will thus attain the meaning of these teachings.
By non-meditation great bliss will increase.
The nature of all things will manifest.
Whatever persons have encountered this,
Including those with inexpiable faults,
Will then be liberated without a doubt
By means of having become familiar with this.
I swear upon the pain of hell itself
There is no doubt that they will be liberated.

Edited by idiot_stimpy
  • Like 1

On 16.11.2020 at 11:42 AM, Ajay0 said:

Hi all,

Thanking in advance.

Interestingly, the view presented here seems in accordance also with modern physics!

Roger Penrose's Conformal Cyclic Cosmology rests on the assumption that after a very long time (the number of years equals something like 10 to the 100th power), all matter in the universe will have turned into light. Both spatial and temporal measurement become impossible. Paradoxically, such a universe extends to infinity and contracts to a singularity at once (that's where the 'conformal' part comes into play). You may want to call this state a moment of pure divine consciousness.

From that singularity, another Big Bang ensues, and the story repeats itself - ad infinitum (and yes,you guessed it - that's what the 'cyclic' bit refers to).

I informed Mr Penrose and some of his colleagues about the parallels I saw between CCC and certain metaphysical traditions (for instance, the manifest universe is born from en soph aur or 'infinite light' according to the Kabbalah) on a physics congress, but earned little more than blank looks and an admission that such considerations were "outside the scope of science".

Showing once again what a long way we have come since the days of scientist-philosophers like Plato und Aristotle... :rolleyes:

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

'Outside the scope of science '      ? 

em-hf3300_main.png          asz400b-microscope_grande.jpg?v=15818194  KAMTS02PAKA-telescope-hires.jpg?auto=webfast-629503542.jpg

But not outside the scope of   ' Neo-hermetics ' .

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Nungali said:

'Outside the scope of science '      ? 

em-hf3300_main.png          asz400b-microscope_grande.jpg?v=15818194  KAMTS02PAKA-telescope-hires.jpg?auto=webfast-629503542.jpg

But not outside the scope of   ' Neo-hermetics ' .

My way of thinking exactly.

Ancient Hermetics already provided a union of natural science and metaphysics. Neo-Hermetics is meant to be a revival of that. It promises to integrate modern knowledge (as gained by the kind of instruments shown in your post) with ancient wisdom.

And this will be akin to a (re)union of the analytical and the intuitive mind.

• Like 2

To me it seems like most of the major religions started with more or less the same basic idea but over time their major texts were meddled with by men more interested in their own personal power than spirituality. I think this is why all of the major religious texts have really good parts and some other parts that don't seem that great at all. A mix of genuine spirituality and man made ego added either later on, or at the time they were written. 

• Like 3

On 11/25/2020 at 2:14 PM, Michael Sternbach said:

Ancient Hermetics already provided a union of natural science and metaphysics. Neo-Hermetics is meant to be a revival of that. It promises to integrate modern knowledge (as gained by the kind of instruments shown in your post) with ancient wisdom.

And quantum physics seems to be the connector, IMO.

It has occurred to me often that the best physical manifestation of 'god' is the sun.  Something exploded.  The Intelligence exploded, wanting to be made manifest.  The templates for form must rest in the intelligence of the sun.  Our planet is an extension of the sun, molten at the core.  And WE are the form that has been borne of the earth, of the sun - the form that is most suitable to enjoying the blessings of the earth.  We Are the Intelligence.

• Like 5

On 11/16/2020 at 5:42 AM, Ajay0 said:

Hi all,

Thanking in advance.

In the Bön dzogchen traditions, light is used as a metaphor or example in many different ways and in many different teachings. Once of the most revered texts is called, in fact, the Six Lamps. In terms of metaphors, we often refer to the light of a butter lamp as an example of our "self-illuminating" nature. Another metaphor is the light of the sun, whose light is ever present and unending, even when obscured as by clouds or at night. What all of the metaphors are pointing to is the illuminating quality of our fundamental awareness.

On 11/24/2020 at 8:45 AM, idiot_stimpy said:

I like the practice of Dzogchen although I cannot speak on its behalf. It is so direct in pointing to the above mentioned subtle awareness in a blissful state experiencing reality.

In Bön dzogchen teachings, the words most often used are clear light, not simply light.

Dzogchen texts often refer to light in terms of what appears to our senses as vision and is often described as sound, light, and rays, to be more comprehensive.

Clear light is a bit more specific in referring to our fundamental essence, the Nature of Mind.

Clear refers to the complete absence of obscurations or distortion, the spacious aspect, like the open sky.

Light refers to the ability to illuminate, the sense of lively presence and connection, the awareness aspect, like the sun light illuminating the sky.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, manitou said:

And quantum physics seems to be the connector, IMO.

Overall, quantum physics is indeed on the cutting edge where science (in the modern sense) meets spirituality. It is to be hoped that other natural sciences will catch up in due course.

It has occurred to me often that the best physical manifestation of 'god' is the sun.  Something exploded.  The Intelligence exploded, wanting to be made manifest.  The templates for form must rest in the intelligence of the sun.  Our planet is an extension of the sun, molten at the core.  And WE are the form that has been borne of the earth, of the sun - the form that is most suitable to enjoying the blessings of the earth.  We Are the Intelligence.

I am right there with you.

The galaxy with its central "star"; the solar system with the sun at its centre; the earth with its central core; the human being with its heart; the cell with its nucleus; and also the atom with its nucleus - all these are indeed  manifestations of a divine archetype, each representing the latter in their own way specific to their respective level.

Edited by Michael Sternbach
  • Thanks 1

THE Divine Archetype ;   shiny ball thing with stuff in the middle . 

That comes from 'nothing' and to 'nothing'  it shall return .   

image.png.46f3b118fb2245834d0851965d05828e.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Nungali said:

THE Divine Archetype ;   shiny ball thing with stuff in the middle . 

That comes from 'nothing' and to 'nothing'  it shall return .   

image.png.46f3b118fb2245834d0851965d05828e.png

It's actually better represented by spheres within spheres.

Here is a neat example as regards planet Earth...

https://earthhow.com/spheres-of-earth/

• Thanks 1