Sign in to follow this  
Mandrake

Permanent retreat centre for Daobums and other motley crue cultivators

Hi fellow bums,

I have a friend that recently moved outcountry to an ecovillage, and that got me thinking. There are probably many of us who from time to time would benefit from either living an extended time with a heavier focus on cultivation - or even into stricter retreats - but who can't find the environment and support which would provide that. What about an ecovillage for cultivators, eclectic in styles but where the common ground is some kind of devotion to spiritual pursuit?

How would such an enterprise be set up? How would it be operated? What would the rules be?

I'd be happy for the collective input and brainstorming.

Mandrake

• Like 1

:) 

I already live on one .    Well, that was sort of the original intention when the place was set up .    It was supposed to be 'eclectic' , not specifically by definition but  due to 'newageyness'  which has eclectic sources.  Then it got a bit 'culty' and that failed. Then it went through a period of being more eclectic.  Its been through lots of periods and changes .

There are many answers to your questions.  Here it was originally set up by a group getting together from a discussion group that decided to make and live in such a 'center' . They outlined what they wanted and asked for it in a 'prayer of manifestation' , which was fulfilled .  The legal set up was done a few times and was wrong and ill informed and  a fantasy underlined by human failings and lack of knowledge , we have paid highly for that  and it had repercussions into the future .  All sorts o/f things happened, including a revolution and take over resulting in a handover to residents  IF they could form a company with similar ideals and constitution. That was done, a company limited by grantee  with the company holding land title and members of the company having the right to a house site to be able to build on.  The  land was originally bought by deposit ( donations of main part by a few people and smaller amounts by numerous ) and mortgage ( paid off by subsequent  'donations' / rental / fees of $30 a week - still the same amount  and various fundraising, events and festivals ) the mortgage was paid off years back and  funds accrued for various running costs and expenses (including tithing each week to the needy )  .

The operation has changed over time; pre revolution it was by 'trustees'  running a fake trust.  Consisting of 'original idea people' that did not actually live there who wanted the people that did live there, and the place to work and operate like some fantasy of their imagination not grounded in the practically of living there . A lot of it was a screwed up dream  and impracticable and unworkable .  Hence the revolution.  After that it operated by the company; the directors gave rights to vote to all the members and decisions where made at weekly community / company meetings , much of it was run on normal business model ; AGM, election of directors, etc .  Since the land had been paid off, no shares where sold , we made an early strong decision  NOT to be involved in land speculation  ( but that does not stop the greedy human spirit that wants to 'own' - even from some of the people that supported the idea in the first place )  so  house sites are not sold but given to members on approval.  Membership is achieved by doing a trial period and getting a 90% vote of members for a prospective 1 year trial membership, then another 90% vote for full membership which allows one to have a house site there .

The rules ?    :D    I will send a truck around with some documents     Articles of association and by-laws of the company . 

Its not about the rules as such but how you either get people to keep them or enforce them .

We get people coming here occasionally that want to start  a ' intentional community '  or 'my own community' or ideas like you propose . 95% of the time, they are on their own trip and have no REAL interest in learning from our own experience  ...but then again, most of the people that are here or have been through here have not got a clue about how to learn  things like that .

Its a nice fantasy .... but just wait until you try to implement it !  If you can get 1/20th through the initial stages , my hat would be off to you.    All I see nowadays is ideas and talks and workshops and seminars about it  ... no one actually DOING it .... getting in there and starting from scratch with a whole range of skills required and physical hard work ....  you  might get your hands dirty   :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 11/8/2020 at 6:02 AM, Nungali said:

We get people coming here occasionally that want to start  a ' intentional community '  or 'my own community' or ideas like you propose . 95% of the time, they are on their own trip and have no REAL interest in learning from our own experience  ...but then again, most of the people that are here or have been through here have not got a clue about how to learn  things like that .

Its a nice fantasy .... but just wait until you try to implement it !  If you can get 1/20th through the initial stages , my hat would be off to you.    All I see nowadays is ideas and talks and workshops and seminars about it  ... no one actually DOING it .... getting in there and starting from scratch with a whole range of skills required and physical hard work ....  you  might get your hands dirty

Hi Nun,

I have found my community here at TDB ~ knowing you and a few others (I like to believe that they know who they are).

Thank you ~ for being you... and the others ~ for being them.

I am blessed.

212702-Thanks-For-Being-You-.gif

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement

On 11/7/2020 at 5:12 PM, Mandrake said:

What about an ecovillage for cultivators, eclectic in styles but where the common ground is some kind of devotion to spiritual pursuit?

Hi Mandrake,

An 'ecovillage' need not be physical in dimension or perception when one cultivates one's mind(set) from EGO to ECO.

wpid-wp-1430574211829.jpeg

FROM TRINITY TO ETERNITY?

tumblr_nn8a02uwZB1unvfcho2_r1_400.gifv

- Anand

Edited by Limahong
Enhancement
  • Like 1

Sign in to follow this