hi everyone

I do not know how many people here practice martial arts, but for those who do - I am editor of an online (PDF) journal called Martial Cultivation Journal. Many of the articles discuss Daoist work within martial traditions.

https://lineofintent.com/product-category/martial-cultivation-journal/

For those who know Liu Hongchieh and Bai Hua from the books of BK Frantzis, we have a series of writings from a Hong Kong disciple of Bai Hua offering a quite different perspective on Liu and Bai Hua's teachings.

I am also fortunate to publish Serge Augier's books on Daoism, and run the Flying Monk Talk Show on YT which is easy to find.

Happy to discuss any aspects of martial cultivation here.

Happy Training!

Alex Kozma

Edited by Line of Intent
  • Like 5

Hi Alex,

It was your lovely 'little' book, Beyond the Mysterious Gate (2004), that introduced me to the Taoist art of Baguaquan and triggered a huge change in my life.

I was given a free copy that year by a friend of mine living in London. I decided to move to Taiwan and learn the art from He Jinghan. But life has always different plans and ended up getting a full traineeship under a Xingyi and Bagua teacher, Geoff Sweeting, here where I currently live in Australia.

In any case I always acknowledge that chapter about learning Bagua from He Jinghan (even though the book isn't structured formally in chapters) as something very special and based entirely on fully committed and deep practice, not something you'd learn entirely from books or any audiovisual materials. Also to understand what it all means one must have removed many of the *'blockages we all carry from lifetime to lifetime'; then things start to make a lot of sense. It's a journey of self-discovery and self-realisation for sure.

Do you still teach people on real life?   Xingyi and Bagua are your main areas of practice as far as I know. 

Welcome aboard.

Thanks again! :)

*Note: it's a lot more than that. We indeed are highly complex and multidimensional beings.

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 2

Hi Alex,

Hello from Cambridge! Any news on the Seasonal Neigong book?

Cheers

Rob

That is good to hear Gerard, many people read that book and went to Asia after!   How is your training going now?

Hi Rob we hope to publish it end of November 2020, please have a look on the FB Line of Intent page for updates .

• Like 1

Hi Alex,

As we have you here...:-)

Many of the Daobums may not know of your long years of researching and publishing works on cultivation and martial arts. Labours of love and the inspiration for many  - like Gerard and myself. Deep immersion in meditation practices as well as Chinese internal martial arts and much more. You mention 'martial cultivation' - potentially paradoxical.  Serge Augier has talked about martial arts being a 'Royal road' to cultivation. What does martial cultivation mean to you? How can the pursuit of martial skill contribute to the cultivation of the human being?

Cheers

Rob

Edited by RobB

Rob -

Real martial cultivation is always done with death in mind, knowing that death is inevitable.

if you understand this you will cultivate as if your life depends on it.

Everything else is superfluous.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Line of Intent said:

That is good to hear Gerard, many people read that book and went to Asia after!   How is your training going now?

It makes sense. A very inspiring book based on all your travel experiences learning from

so many accomplished people & teachers. :)

Training/living a life fully committed to this path never ends. Thanks for asking.

Guess this question has been asked hundreds of times on this forum, but what is the best way you know to cultivate qi?   Now that I have the time, I'm going back to basics  to focus on that.  To begin with I've started standing in a horse stance for about an hour a day doing deep breathing.  This is effective, (boring and slow) and I also remember feeling a nice current after practicing kung fu and following up the workout with tai chi.  I'm older now and don't have the joints for hard core kung fu so instead I'm doing qigong that I've found particularly effective.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions on this matter.  I was just curious about what other people are doing and have found effective.  Have you read any books or visited any websites that have been particularly helpful or know of any teachers and systems that you can recommend?  Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Tai Chi, doing the forms slowly, circulates chi in the body and has helped many people raise there level of ability. In the system of Silat i was practicing....horse stance had a great effect of stimulating the pressure points on the feet and causing a good chi flow. 

In Glenn Morris's book on esoteric martial arts he recommends emptiness mediation, breath work, microcosmic orbit and special secret smile meditations to stimulate the kundalini and open up that power to be a more badass martial wizard. 

Silk Reeling is another exercise i've heard about in Internal Martial Arts that has great benefits. Circle Walking is also quite beneficial. Holding postures as taught in the way of energy by Lam Kam Chuen is great (Wu Chi and Holding Ball). 

Some systems of martial arts don't have an internal component. There are subtle differences in all systems....got to sift through to find what resonates. 

• Like 2

On 11/2/2020 at 6:38 PM, Dragonfish808 said:

Guess this question has been asked hundreds of times on this forum, but what is the best way you know to cultivate qi?  

Reduce everything strenuous, whether it is physical/mental/emotional/sexual/spiritual.....   All kinds of moving and standing exercises could only offer limited value if the outlay is not controlled.   Sitting is better but most people cannot sit for 10 hours or more a day.  Conserve the Jing/Chi/Shen is essential to progress.

On 11/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, RiverSnake said:

In Tai Chi, doing the forms slowly, circulates chi in the body and has helped many people raise there level of ability. In the system of Silat i was practicing....horse stance had a great effect of stimulating the pressure points on the feet and causing a good chi flow. 

In Glenn Morris's book on esoteric martial arts he recommends emptiness mediation, breath work, microcosmic orbit and special secret smile meditations to stimulate the kundalini and open up that power to be a more badass martial wizard. 

Silk Reeling is another exercise i've heard about in Internal Martial Arts that has great benefits. Circle Walking is also quite beneficial. Holding postures as taught in the way of energy by Lam Kam Chuen is great (Wu Chi and Holding Ball). 

Some systems of martial arts don't have an internal component. There are subtle differences in all systems....got to sift through to find what resonates. 

Yes, I like standing meditation because you can use the kwa to push energy through the ground and apply pressure to different parts of your feet to stimulate shen, jing or qi. Although I find it easier to focus when I'm sitting  and as Master Longray mentioned, you conserve physical energy in that position, I worry about poor circulation in my legs holding a lotus position for too long.  I keep thinking about the story a Zen master told us about a priest who was so devoted to his zazen practice that he willingly had his atrophied legs amputated so that the could continue to sit. LOL!  That was not a great story to tell us as beginners as it continued to haunt me whenever I had to sit zazen for long periods of time.  I am using zen (emptiness) meditation and breathwork, but breathing through certain chakras and points instead.  I will try the small circle breathing again sometime to see if I get better results. 

As a matter of fact, I do know a good silk reeling and circle walking exercises that I have not been using in this "back to basics" energy work.  Thanks for your suggestions!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dragonfish808 said:

Yes, I like standing meditation because you can use the kwa to push energy through the ground and apply pressure to different parts of your feet to stimulate shen, jing or qi. Although I find it easier to focus when I'm sitting  and as Master Longray mentioned, you conserve physical energy in that position, I worry about poor circulation in my legs holding a lotus position for too long.  I keep thinking about the story a Zen master told us about a priest who was so devoted to his zazen practice that he willingly had his atrophied legs amputated so that the could continue to sit. LOL!  That was not a great story to tell us as beginners as it continued to haunt me whenever I had to sit zazen for long periods of time.  I am using zen (emptiness) meditation and breathwork, but breathing through certain chakras and points instead.  I will try the small circle breathing again sometime to see if I get better results. 

As a matter of fact, I do know a good silk reeling and circle walking exercises that I have not been using in this "back to basics" energy work.  Thanks for your suggestions!  

Just beware of mixing methods from different systems. 

On 11/6/2020 at 5:26 AM, Master Logray said:

Just beware of mixing methods from different systems. 

Uh oh!  Is there a problem with doing this?  I've learned different styles, searching for things that let me feel the heat and pressure of energy coursing through my body.  The problem is that I never had sufficient time to devote to practice.  Now that I do, I'm experimenting, combining and observing, trying to find a way to cultivate it as quickly as possible -- since I'm not young and because I want to devote time to learn to use it to benefit myself and others.  I found it difficult to learn much on cultivation because most teachers love the technical and combative aspects of martial arts and cultivation takes a back seat. I've joined this forum to hopefully find others willing to share what has worked for them and also to get ideas, resources or connections to refer to on my journey.  Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas you have regarding mixing different techniques towards this end.

1 hour ago, Dragonfish808 said:

Uh oh!  Is there a problem with doing this?  I've learned different styles, searching for things that let me feel the heat and pressure of energy coursing through my body. 

Many well known teachers practice/d multiple methods. If you practice each method well, it should work out fine. 

The problem is that I never had sufficient time to devote to practice.  Now that I do, I'm experimenting, combining and observing, trying to find a way to cultivate it as quickly as possible

Speed is not relevant, laying a proper foundation should be prioritized. 

-- since I'm not young and because I want to devote time to learn to use it to benefit myself and others.  I found it difficult to learn much on cultivation because most teachers love the technical and combative aspects of martial arts and cultivation takes a back seat.

Why then walk the martial road? 

There are more direct cultivation roads if you do not have the martial side as an important goal (which is how I interpret you in your post). 

I've joined this forum to hopefully find others willing to share what has worked for them and also to get ideas, resources or connections to refer to on my journey.  Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas you have regarding mixing different techniques towards this end.

It is much easier to choose a system where practitioner have developed things you find valuable. 

Butterflying between methods and instructors might keep you forever doing beginner practices (the level under laying the foundations, if you are unlucky). 

Some people develop problems when spending time mixing instead of doing a few things well. 

Others do just fine.... 

On 6/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, Dragonfish808 said:

I am using zen (emptiness) meditation and breathwork, but breathing through certain chakras and points instead.  I will try the small circle breathing again sometime to see if I get better results. 

2 hours ago, Dragonfish808 said:

Uh oh!  Is there a problem with doing this?  I've learned different styles, searching for things that let me feel 

Mixing is a complicated thing.  For your case, Zen is passive and emptiness, while breathing through points and chakras is micro breathing management.   They could offset each other or confuse the subconscious.  

In general all cultivation works are the slower the better.   

On 11/10/2020 at 2:07 AM, Master Logray said:

Mixing is a complicated thing.  For your case, Zen is passive and emptiness, while breathing through points and chakras is micro breathing management.   They could offset each other or confuse the subconscious.  

In general all cultivation works are the slower the better.   

Sad to say, but I think you're right that cultivation takes time.  

I count breaths as in Zen Meditation because it's a good way to quiet the mind.  I breathe through the heart chakra because I can feel a lot of energy coming from there.  Another reason I don't sit as in Zazen is because if you stand, you can open the kwa and push energy through your legs.  I've heard that if you breathe in through your crown chakra and out through your third eye you can open your third eye and stimulate the pituitary and pineal glands to increase intuition.  I haven't felt anything to that effect, and my goal right now is still to cultivate energy rather than open my third eye.  LOL!  I'm always looking for short cuts, but with all this experimentation it'll probably take me way more time!

On 11/10/2020 at 1:21 AM, Cleansox said:

Why then walk the martial road? 

There are more direct cultivation roads if you do not have the martial side as an important goal (which is how I interpret you in your post). 

It's in practicing kung fu that I found my body healing from things that couldn't be remedied with medication.  I could also feel energy projecting from my hands after practice.  I wanted to focus on cultivating and eventually utilizing it in different ways, but it was so difficult to find a good teacher.  I love martial arts, but it seems like martial arts, healing, intuition, etc. are tools and the energy you fill it with is the real substance -- the substance that can help you develop into the best person you can be.  That's what I hope to accomplish before I pass on -- sort of tops on my bucket list. 

And yes, I plan to incorporate martial arts back into my practice, but I don't want to be distracted right now.

2 hours ago, Dragonfish808 said:

I love martial arts, but it seems like martial arts, healing, intuition, etc. are tools and the energy you fill it with is the real substance -- the substance that can help you develop into the best person you can be.  

The tools are paramount. 

The more efficient the tools are, and the degree of which you master the tools, the likelier it is that you will accomplish your goal. 

Of the three main internal martial arts, it is said that Xing Yi is easiest to build the foundation in, and if you focus on the five fists, the least amount of material to learn. 

The internal work you learn there will form a foundation no matter what you decide to do after that. 

All methods have pro's and con's. 

And all practitioners have preferences. 

In the end, you might find that picking one and go all in is the simplest and most direct route. 

I dumped taiji years ago, because I found the ratio between amount of material to learn and the result to not be in my favour, compared to what I do now. 

That doesn’t imply less practice time though. 😁 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dragonfish808 said:

Sad to say, but I think you're right that cultivation takes time.  

I count breaths as in Zen Meditation because it's a good way to quiet the mind.  I breathe through the heart chakra because I can feel a lot of energy coming from there.  Another reason I don't sit as in Zazen is because if you stand, you can open the kwa and push energy through your legs.  I've heard that if you breathe in through your crown chakra and out through your third eye you can open your third eye and stimulate the pituitary and pineal glands to increase intuition.  I haven't felt anything to that effect, and my goal right now is still to cultivate energy rather than open my third eye.  LOL!  I'm always looking for short cuts, but with all this experimentation it'll probably take me way more time!

I think standing poses are the fastest, or those simple repetitive exercises.  They are shortcuts for the initial stage.  The choice of martial arts is very personal.

• Like 1