Toni

Qigong for good posture?

After many years trying to internally (and externally) cultivate myself, I have come to the conclusion that good posture is essential for health and well being. The problem is that today we tend to develop bad posture as we spend a lot of time sitting in a desk playing with technological dives or driving.

What are some good qigong styles to cultivate proper bodily posture? In my opinion ba duan jin is pretty good for this, especially the first exercise, lifting the sky, but I would like to know other good styles. Also zhan zhuang is good but too difficult for me unfortunately.

• Like 1

See it as different aspects. 

Qigong, taiji and so on teaches proper alignments. 

Some of the above teaches optimal movement patterns, and most of the above can aid if there is an emotional basis for poor posture (and it can be helpful for some physiological reasons as well). 

But yes, we also have to incorporate this change in everyday living. 

I got frustrated years ago because I'd pactice for an hour or two a day, but continued to get lots of back pain due to hunching at a computer or driving for long periods at a time. The low energy would transfer into my daily standing but also when simply sitting on the couch in the evening.

If you have no choice but to live a lifestyle of desk work, have a policy where you get up every hour and do a quick set of something.

It doesn't have to be qigong. Often something a bit faster will warm the muscles up better...but remember not to do anything to strenuous. I usually do a quick kung fu form, but it can also be leg and hip stretching, stretching up to the sky etc.

Either way, as long as you're moving more often, it is good. I wouldn't worry about ZZ because trading one static posture for another won't hugely benefit you.

Edited by Rara
  • Like 2

Best thing I know for good posture and keeping back pain at bay is Eric Goodman's Foundation Training. He's a chiropractor that had to solve his own serious posture problems, under threat of surgery. The method reengages the posterior chain, the muscle/fascial chain that maintains our erect posture, and antidotes our modern life of hunching over computers, cell phones, and steering wheels.  It's very simple, you can learn enough of it off Goodman's  YouTube vids to correct your posture. His original formulation had 8 postures. You do them 3 times a day or so, hold them for 15 seconds each. Hard to believe it can be that simple, but it was for me.

And I only did the first posture!  There are two positions for that one, and still do it when I need to for back pain. What I noticed is that it retrained my muscles to hold good posture effortlessly, without thought. I would be driving and notice my shoulders were happily pinned back against the car seat all by themselves. Astonishing!

For an intro to the method, look for Goodman's 15 minute TedX on YouTube. He has two books, and lots of free info online.

• Like 1

The best posture specific QiGong I know if is called Xing Shen Zhuang. It is a QiGong that goes through and works on specific sections of the spine. That combined with fundamental TaiJi poses is going to be the ultimate posture training. Seriously pick up a book or video on the fundamentals of TaiJiQuan (I would suggest Chen's style) and practice the standing poses for a good amount of time. 

Cheers,
E. S. A.
The Wanderer

43 minutes ago, E. S. A. said:

The best posture specific QiGong I know if is called Xing Shen Zhuang. It is a QiGong that goes through and works on specific sections of the spine. That combined with fundamental TaiJi poses is going to be the ultimate posture training. Seriously pick up a book or video on the fundamentals of TaiJiQuan (I would suggest Chen's style) and practice the standing poses for a good amount of time. 

Cheers,
E. S. A.
The Wanderer

Xing Shen Zhuang is the same that zhi neng level 2? Thks

23 minutes ago, Toni said:

Xing Shen Zhuang is the same that zhi neng level 2? Thks

Not exactly the same but achieve the same function and have many shared similarities. Even Xing Shen Zhuang itself is a little varied from lineage to lineage. If you have access to Zhi Neng Second method then that would work great for posture purposes. The trick with these exercises though is to relax into it and know where your rotation axis is. Each movement has a different rotational axis in your body the movements are centered on. It is not simply a movement. You need to feel things rotating from that axis and learn to guide the mind to those points.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, E. S. A. said:

Not exactly the same but achieve the same function and have many shared similarities. Even Xing Shen Zhuang itself is a little varied from lineage to lineage. If you have access to Zhi Neng Second method then that would work great for posture purposes. The trick with these exercises though is to relax into it and know where your rotation axis is. Each movement has a different rotational axis in your body the movements are centered on. It is not simply a movement. You need to feel things rotating from that axis and learn to guide the mind to those points.

Thanks i am interested in that form as i read it works the spine too. Do u know where could i learn it? Dvds, seminars, youtube? Thanks again

On 10/25/2020 at 8:55 AM, Cleansox said:

All of them? 

Most of them? 

I agree with this and would add in Yoga & tai chi, even dance but for it to really work, you need a live teacher.  Sometimes perfect posture is subtle.

On 11/11/2020 at 12:26 PM, E. S. A. said:

I appreciate this description.

It is resonant with and reminiscent of an awareness that arose for me during practice some time ago and has remained with me.

All motion seemingly arises from, pivots about then returns to, a point of stillness.