Vajra Fist

New Bagua Course From Damo Mitchell

This is a thread for discussing the new Baguazhang course released yesterday by Damo Mitchell/Lotus Neigong.

This is a trailer:

The first year is focused on neigong. There's also a general overview here.

http://lotusneigong.com/baguazhang/

I started this morning (hat tip to @Creation) and the first week is two standing exercises.

Do chime in if you're taking the course too or are just curious.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I recently started the Baguazhang and Tai Chi programs at Lotus Nei Gong. I'm still in my first week. I started the others as well, but Bagua and Tai Chi are the priority or me. 

I've trained Cheng style Bagua and Tai Chi, but I've never actually learned anything in regards to nei gong. It wasn't until this past year when I befriended another person who had been training nei gong that I came to realize "internal martial arts" doesn't necessarily mean "nei gong training," at least that's how I understood it. 

Even with just the material for the first week, I feel like these courses are already improving my Kung Fu. I'm excited to see what I'll be feeling over the course of time. 

How are you liking the program(s)?

• Like 3

On 1/9/2021 at 7:52 PM, Nam Sao said:

I recently started the Baguazhang and Tai Chi programs at Lotus Nei Gong. I'm still in my first week. I started the others as well, but Bagua and Tai Chi are the priority or me. 

I've trained Cheng style Bagua and Tai Chi, but I've never actually learned anything in regards to nei gong. It wasn't until this past year when I befriended another person who had been training nei gong that I came to realize "internal martial arts" doesn't necessarily mean "nei gong training," at least that's how I understood it. 

Even with just the material for the first week, I feel like these courses are already improving my Kung Fu. I'm excited to see what I'll be feeling over the course of time. 

How are you liking the program(s)?

Loving the Taiji!

From what I understand - Neigong in IMAs relates to the skills you develop from the practice, where Neigong in relation to energy work relates to a totally separate process.  Kind of like how Qi means too many damned things, and we need context to define it.  So it makes sense that you were confused before!

• Like 1

I've been working with this course, and really enjoying it.  I feel like my body wants this work as a complement to Damo's neigong. 

A few points of comparison with Damo's Taiji material, which I started but didn't stick with.  The Bagua material is more active than the Taiji material, with it's stepping work.  In Taiji jin comes from releasing the point of contact with the ground to send jin up from the feet, in Bagua you also release down from the crown.  Year one of Taiji primarily teaches 37 form, with an emphasis on how to develop jin in each movement from the beginning, with another module on partner exercises for jin.  Bagua year one teaches the neigong for circle walking and 8 palms, no martial/partner material whatsoever - there is discussion of jin but not applications. 

@Vajra Fist are you still in the  Bagua program?  How are you liking it?

@Nam Sao Damo has advised to to the neigong module alongside Taiji, or even do neigong for a while before Taiji, not sure if you had seen that though. 

• Like 3

@Creation

I actually just mostly do the taiji now, as I only really have 60-90 minutes practice time a day with work and family. That goes by pretty quickly as well, after I've run through the form a few times, done a bit of standing and sitting meditation, I'm lucky if I even have time for stretching.

I did enjoy the bagua zoom class a while ago though. How are you finding the circle walking?

Edited by Vajra Fist

On 1/14/2021 at 4:36 PM, Vajra Fist said:

@Creation

I actually just mostly do the taiji now, as I only really have 60-90 minutes practice time a day with work and family. That goes by pretty quickly as well, after I've run through the form a few times, done a bit of standing and sitting meditation, I'm lucky if I even have time for stretching.

I did enjoy the bagua zoom class a while ago though. How are you finding the circle walking?

Really just started it and getting the hang of how to put the stepping qualities from the straight line drills into the circle.  But I'm enjoying it.

• Like 1