cmpunk50

Knee pop at bjj - advice

Hello bums,

I started my first bjj class tonight, and embarrassingly, I popped my knee. Right when I did it, I was able to walk around. But now, after stiffening up and hour or two later, it’s swelling a bit. I think it may be an ldl sprain, grade undetermined. 

with that said, I plan on going to the hospital in two days if it gets worse. Until then, does anyone have any advice? I’m doing RICE for the first 48 hours. Also thinking about doing a dit dat Jow (iron palm), but confused if I should wait. Also have a comfrey cream which I will be using today.

im sure there are people on this board that may have had a simile injury. Any advice on what people have done with a similar knee injury for the initial 48 hours?

Edited by cmpunk50

4 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

Turmeric is great for inflammation.

I make Kefir from raw cows milk. I’m actually ready to drink some now with turmeric. They call it golden milk I believe. Thank you for the advice!

• Like 2

You can make a paste of slaked lime and turmeric and apply it on your knee. 

Spoiler

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

Hope its feeling better.  I was about to give bad advice, then googled popped knee.  It can be serious and take some time (6 weeks?) to heal, depending.  Good luck with it.

In my experience this is a very common injury. Without proper basic training, strengthen of the knees and whole body flexible strength  warm up exercises will result in injuries. 

It definitely sucks and will take many weeks to fully recover. Your body has amazing healing abilities so listen to your body. If you stay away from training until you recover is best. In the mean time try some energy arts like chi gung that does not stress out your knees and build the strength back. Good luck, time will heal. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the advice everyone. I figured I give an update...

it’s been 10 days, it has improved but still have some tenderness and mobility issues. I went to an orthopedic tonight. X-rays came back negative, and the manual tests he tried moving my knee various ways, he believes I don’t have any tendon tears. With that said, it’s possible there may be a miniscus tear, but I will need to get an mri. Waiting on authorization. I have been taking turmeric with raw milk kefir, and also using comfrey poultices along with a comfrey cream I bought at the health food store. Also have some dit da jow ive been using, but not sure how effective this is.

ive stayed away from the bjj class. Looking to maybe strengthen the knee with Energy Arts as Wu Ming Jen suggested. Again, thanks everyone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1