meeks

question about something that I experienced...

So I'm  hoping I can get some serious responses to this...

a few weeks ago I was sitting on a cushion (cross legged) and meditating (in a dark room with other meditators). I suddenly experienced a sensation of very warm water pooling (almost hot) - I thought it was coming from my rectum - but I am experienced enough not to 'gasp' or stop what I was doing... and it felt like it pooled at my perenium. I resisted the urge to 'check my drawers' to see if I was wet (thankfully the room was dark), and sure enough, when I finished my meditation later, my pants were completely dry.

I'm not sure what the experience was - anyone ever heard of this before?

Did you pick this section all by yourself?  Can i hopefully get a serious answer to this?

For me its not my lower end, but my eyes (and nose) tear sometimes tear, when I meditate.  I'll end the session with a wet shirt. 

Probably not the same phenomena but I expect mine has to do with the deep relaxation response. 

This is my take on this experience. Meditation, after a period of time , can be very relaxing, and the body which has been voluntarily tense for a very long time,  deeply relaxes like a deflated balloon. This can result in the sort of bodily sensations which you mentioned, which are also associated with relaxation.

Or, it can also be associated with the Kundalini surge of prana in the body beginning from the Muladhara chakra which is located at the base of the spine.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 4:35 PM, Damla said:

Did you pick this section all by yourself?  Can i hopefully get a serious answer to this?

if it's in the wrong section I apologize, and I'm not sure why you seem so reactive to my question which you completely ignored. I don't spend a lot of time on this board but do check it from time to time. Not sure how it ended up in 'Hindu Textual Studies' as I would not have selected it on purpose, but I did specifically come into the Hindu discussion as I figured it was probably something that people practised in Hindu meditations would be more akin to being able to answer.

While I've not had that specific sensation, I've experienced some that are similar... and a whole slew that are not.

for what it's worth, here are some that come to mind. 

Sensations of warm oil (or a liquid more viscous than water), cascading slowly under the skin, usually downward.

The sensation of air sliding along under the skin, very cool but not quite cold.

Magnetic pulsing in various organs, started in the liver but later expanded to involve the entire abdomen.

Throbbing or pulsing in the Middle Dan Tien with a trickling sensation moving downward.

Incredible electrical crackling of the bottoms of my feet, as if 220v were plugged into the yong chuan points.

Very distracting thrumming of the entire abdomen, incredibly pleasurable and unignorable (usually makes practice impossible at the time.

Seeing vibrant, oscillating Mandalas of light when eyes are closed.

A hollowness or spaciousness in the Niwan Palace area.

These come and go during and sometimes between moving or sitting meditations, along with others that don't come to mind.  I wouldn't worry if it's not destabalizing.  Some of them are so distracting that a session will basically end when they kick in, but I don't worry much about length of sessions any longer, so I just go with it until I feel practice is done.

So far, strong sensations don't often last beyond the mat more than an hour or a few.  At times these sensations will arise between sessions of practice.  Though in recent years, meditative states and sensations arise regularly in daily life 'off the mat'. 

I've chalked that up to the body and mind settling into new arrangements and accept them as natural and let them do their thing without fretting or interfering beyond just awareness of it and acceptance.  So far, nothing has developed into anything that is distracting enough to seek treatment for, or be concerned over, so I treat them as unexpected guests and all has been well.

I hope your practice continues to bear fruit.  Be well mate.

• Like 2