forestofemptiness

Rupert Spira and Swami Savrapriyananda

I found Rupert to be a little slow speaking plus his mic wasnt the best.  I find it interesting that these two believe that our essential state is love, peace and happiness.  I dont agree with that, even infants arent pure love peace and happiness.  I think this is just their philosophy on what is good about existence.  In order to be happy, Im assuming, one must know, feel and be love, be at peace with their environment and selves.  Rupert said the rest is ego.  I wonder how these men figured to factor out all the activities of the world, and the conjoined emotional and intellectual states that go along with it?  We certainly are capable of more than love and peace, and there are certainly other things that quantify happiness.  I agree that if we do things in love and with love that we will be content, however, but there is so much more to suffering than the absence of love.

It is not just these two, but probably 85% of spiritual teachers from meditative traditions teach the same thing. I don't think it is based on a philosophy, but rather experience. 

From a Buddhist POV, it makes sense. Anything that begins must end. Anything that arises is based on conditions, and when the conditions cease, the appearance also ceases. Accordingly, basing one's peace and happiness on temporary arisings leads to one's peace and happiness also being temporary. Per the teachers, we must find a firmer foundation. 

I've found this to be true. I find that I am far more happy when I have a more spiritual orientation and focus on self-enquiry types of practices. I think a large part of the struggle is having enough confidence in the teaching. 

On 12/17/2020 at 10:27 AM, helpfuldemon said:

I found Rupert to be a little slow speaking plus his mic wasnt the best.  I find it interesting that these two believe that our essential state is love, peace and happiness.  I dont agree with that, even infants arent pure love peace and happiness.  I think this is just their philosophy on what is good about existence.  In order to be happy, Im assuming, one must know, feel and be love, be at peace with their environment and selves.  Rupert said the rest is ego.  I wonder how these men figured to factor out all the activities of the world, and the conjoined emotional and intellectual states that go along with it?  We certainly are capable of more than love and peace, and there are certainly other things that quantify happiness.  I agree that if we do things in love and with love that we will be content, however, but there is so much more to suffering than the absence of love.

• Like 1

I no longer enquire about the self.  I have reached the emptiness that your quote suggests, and I am prepared for what comes.  I found my moral ground and this was all I needed for stability and understanding.  I know that my moral ground is not static for all people, but because I found it, I understand my actions and reactions.