Ervin

I have joined this forum years ago and I visit now and I ask can I discuss my Christian faith anywhere on this forum

Hi, like I said in the title I have joined this forum years ago. I haven’t posted for years. And my question is are there any sections in the forum where I can talk about our Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour?

Thanks 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, idiot_stimpy said:

Do you want to discuss the Christian faith, or preach the Christian faith?

Preaching is usually the case.

I suppose you could use the search engine to look up some old Christian threads.  We're not really big on people coming in to preach and proselytize on there particular religion or practice.. Though its common for a persons practice to influence there answers on any philosophical questions.  I get the feeling that highly preachy sermons would not do well here. 

For people who's interest are kinda one dimensional, its often best they get a PPD, where they can write to their hearts desire in a private section.  Where people who are interested can correspond. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Ervin said:

......where I can talk about our Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour?

Thanks 

My Dear Ervin -

Whilst I have in fact whiled away the odd half hour engaging various individuals with a freindly scholarly Biblical discussion,

it is not something I do regularly.

With all respect, and no animosity, the above sounds awfully like what I hear from the door-to-door prosletyzers. When one says

His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour

That pretty much says it all and stops all further intellectual discussion.

If on the other hand, one were to ask if any were interested in, say,

"a discussion regarding Yeshua of Nazareth  and (fill in the blank) "

you would likely find more interested respondants.

I myself, for example am always interested in serious discussions if they involve (for example) the various translations from the original Aramaic or (secondary) Greek and (for example) how well-learned scholars differ on the "exact" or even "best-guess" meaning of the passage, especially when put in context of the complete entry, and  regarding the "common use of the language of the era".

However, if an Original Poster is interested only in one of the many modern translations as the

"cast-in-stone" direct word of יְהֹוָה  then I am not particulalry interested.

with all respect

shunka

Edited by shunka
  • Like 3

If I wanted to listen to someone talk about Jesus, I would have signed up for a Christian forum.

Or go to church. We got plenty of those in the USA. Not too many places to talk about Taoism.

• Like 2

I would even be interested in a discussion of  the "Apostolic Fathers" and their writings, or the Gnostics, or the Essenes, or the Ecumenical Councils and what was done and why, or "which books were included in the Bible" and why some (especially from the Apostolic Fathers) were left out, or a compare-and-contrast of .....

but nevermind, I see the fellow has left.

Dang and I never even got to mention the story about the very brief conversation with the Guy On The Corner

who was trying to tell us "God Told Me that you must..."

Ervin - Bless you too.

walk in beauty

shunka

Edited by shunka
  • Like 3

There are many very interesting things to learn about in esoteric Christianity. 

Would welcome to hear about any meditative practices you practice.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, shunka said:

the Ecumenical Councils and what was done and why, or "which books were included in the Bible" and why some (especially from the Apostolic Fathers) were left out,

There was no formal process of deciding the New Testament canon. Contrary to some popular accounts, the Council of Nicaea had nothing to do with the New Testament canon, which wasn't even an item on the agenda. There was no meeting where a bunch of bishops sorted through stacks of books to determine which ones they liked. Some books which were treated as scripture, such as the Didache, remained authoritative even after they were finally left out of the New Testament. Other non-canonical books like the Protoevangelium of James and the Gospel of Nicodemus continued to be read and circulated and were hugely influential in Church theology and hymnography. Of course the writings of the apostolic fathers continue to be highly regarded in Christianity today, except among those Protestants who cling to an ahistorical and self-contradictory version of sola scriptura.

• Thanks 1

Spoiler

On 05/10/2020 at 1:32 AM, Ervin said:

are there any sections in the forum where I can talk about our Heavenly Father and His Only Begotten Son Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour?

We can certainly discuss your chosen subject here.
As someone raised in the West, like most of those posting here, I was obviously indoctrinated by the Judeo-Christian ethos, with which I came to disagree because of the obvious contradiction of the doctrine of original sin.
I recently came across this video that seeks to resolve that contradiction and puts forward a rational, compassionate and loving interpretation of Christianity.

I’m curious about whether it speaks to you at all or whether you disagree with it?