Toni

What is the core?

After years of studying and practicing different movement systems I came to the conclusion that the core was mainly the muscles of the abdomen (rectus, transverse, obliques), and maybe also de glutes. Now after some considerations I doubt this is so. People like those of Foundation Training claim that the muscles of the back are more important.

So what do you think? is it more important to train the back or the abdomen?

48 minutes ago, Toni said:

After years of studying and practicing different movement systems I came to the conclusion that the core was mainly the muscles of the abdomen (rectus, transverse, obliques), and maybe also de glutes. Now after some considerations I doubt this is so. People like those of Foundation Training claim that the muscles of the back are more important.

Sure, muscle and counter muscles.  To me its the whole chain of muscles that keeps you erect; vertical when you plank.  Allow for strong full body movement and control. 

1 hour ago, Toni said:

The whole body should be trained. Core affects the back and vice versa. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ralis said:

The whole body should be trained. Core affects the back and vice versa. 

Correct. I ask this bc people talk a lot about the core today, and by this they mean the abs. Now i think the back is more important than the abs

14 hours ago, Toni said:

Those systems are from the past.  Nowadays most people incline forward to read, watch or talk.  So the abdomen muscles are more important.

3 hours ago, Master Logray said:

Those systems are from the past.  Nowadays most people incline forward to read, watch or talk.  So the abdomen muscles are more important.

I would say that bc people today incline forward, now it is more necessary to train the back, as the abdomen is always contracted (and the back stretched)

Edited by Toni
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Toni said:

I would say that bc people today incline forward, now it is more necessary to train the back, as the abdomen is always contracted (and the back stretched)

Correct posture originates from the pelvis and has very little to do with strong back. Any book on body mechanics will teach you that. Read Moshe Feldenkaris where he discusses it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ralis said:

Correct posture originates from the pelvis and has very little to do with strong back. Any book on body mechanics will teach you that. Read Moshe Feldenkaris where he discusses it.

Where does he discuss that?

2 minutes ago, Toni said:

Where does he discuss that?

In his books. 

Try rolling your sit bones forward and see what happens to your posture. There should be a slight natural curve in the lower back when the pelvis is rolled forward. That movement will affect the entire spine.

I took the Feldenkrais training years ago where I learned this. It is very simple.

A lot of people who practice Zhan Zhuang if they focus on relaxing their perineum, pelvic floor or tailbone will feel the area "unclutch" & a very gentle opening/expansive extension or floating of the spine from around the S curve area.  It gives the "head suspended from above feeling" or "being floated from below." 

Gentle pelvic floor contraction, then relaxing it & "allow"/intending a 2nd release/relaxation helps to "unclutch" as there is a lot of unconscious tension in the area related to the root chakra & primal fight/flight response.  The excessive chronic contractive tension weakens the area (limits elastic connective tissue development), psoas connection through the legs, kua and spine.  "Unclutching" the area actually makes the support stronger since the connection can drop through the legs to the feet & gently open/extend upwards to the crown so the whole body feels like it is a stable core (but fluidly grounded).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1