steve

Musical Bums

A thread devoted to sharing and discussion of music. Whatever you like, play, compose, listen to, whatever...

In honor of coming Autumn, I made this recording of Qiu (Autumn). It’s a guitar piece from Si Ji (Four Seasons) by French composer Thierry Rougier. It’s written in shang mode, one of the classic Chinese folk music modes.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

Music is central to my life.

I love acoustic guitar... (12 string especially), it's probably my most loved.  Also the Guqin and Guzheng are instantly capivating.  Wood Flutes (Plains Indian in particular) and the Cello... by the gods... the vibrations of a Cello can be like swimming in liquid light.  

Drums of any kind... always.  So primal.  I played a bit today and sang an old song from the Lakota Tradition that I haven't sung in years.  I used to sing professionally in my stage days back in the 80's and 90's.  I sang with several groups (an Elizabethan Sweet Sixteen Madrigal group, several Barber Shop Quartets, a Jazz Octet, umpteen musicals... and a few Choirs)  Lately I sing in the shower, or about he house, only occasionally.  I played saxaphone for years, as well as drums (grew up with Ethiopian animal skin drums that were gifted to my uncle by tribes he treated as a Doctor while traveling through Africa in the 1960's).  Also studied some piano and last couple years have plunked about with a guitar.  Nothing for anyone else to listen to, just something to engage and express myself. 

This piece leapt out at me and has become something of an obsession lately...  fitting it's a piece oriented about Autumn too...

Raflum, a solo project from Sichuan, which means "melancholic autumn enchained by rain",was founded in late autumn in the year of 98th,ROC(autumn in 2009 A.D.) by Han. The music of Raflum conveys the yearning of solitude seclusion, highly influenced by these Neo-folk bands, like Vàli.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Music is central to my life.

I love acoustic guitar... (12 string especially), it's probably my most loved.  Also the Guqin and Guzheng are instantly capivating.  Wood Flutes (Plains Indian in particular) and the Cello... by the gods... the vibrations of a Cello can be like swimming in liquid light.  

I played Autumn on a flamenco guitar. I like the percussive sounds and the buzzing for that song. I’m also a big fan of the cello, closest instrument to the human voice.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

You can actually play that piece?!

*deep bow sir*  Wow.  You are officially invited to our next, and any subsequent camping trip... ever.

😆

Yeah man, that’s me!

And I love camping!!

I noticed  some leaves falling, felt a nice cool breeze, and recorded it on my deck with my phone... 2nd take, 1st was a touch too slow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, steve said:

😆

Yeah man, that’s me!

And I love camping!!

I noticed  some leaves falling, felt a nice cool breeze, and recorded it on my deck with my phone... 2nd take, 1st was a touch too slow.

18 hours ago, steve said:

I made this recording of Qiu (Autumn).

wow... I was distracted and this bit slipped passed my goalie...

That's amazing good sir.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/13/2020 at 8:32 PM, steve said:

I played Autumn on a flamenco guitar. I like the percussive sounds and the buzzing for that song. I’m also a big fan of the cello, closest instrument to the human voice.

I've been playing classical guitar for about 30 years and I'm nowhere near your level @steve. That was absolutely terrific, such a beautiful piece. 

On 9/13/2020 at 7:44 PM, dwai said:

Here’s my soundcloud stream — 

https://m.soundcloud.com/implicate-order/let-go-be-here-now

This is awesome! Pretty close to what I listen to on Spotify, very Mogwai.

I'm not going to embarrass myself by sharing my music, but these are two of my absolute favourite guitar pieces at the moment. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1