Geof Nanto

A message to the moderators

20 minutes ago, dwai said:

Because he knows which side is on the correct side of dharma. He has known this since 1950s. 

In any conflict, the side to choose is that of dharma.

Er, no. HHDL does that for basically any Indian leader, regardless of party (and many global leaders too). Tibetan refugees see themselves as guests, and fear angering any Indian leaders - they'll never speak out.

47 minutes ago, zerostao said:

Thanks for the link, it's been an ongoing thing my entire life. And since way before my lifetime. Militaries clashing with each other, sons lost. And for what? I am vocally anti war, anti agression. Yet, it seems the entire world is on the brink. When I was younger, I thought we train martial arts so we won't have to fight. It was a path to development, had the Spiritual aspect with it, it helped maintain peace.  Now, I wonder if avoiding the fight is possible for any of us. I owe my good health in large part due to Chinese medicine theory, my time spent in meditation, chi kung, taiji, bagua, other arts. My philosophy and spirituality are heavily influenced by Daoism. It is a fascinating journey of body, mind, spirit. These times are tricky, it is stressful, i think this site is useful in many ways, including occasional vents, even rants, among fellow bums, who some of may have an inkling about what we`re going on about, aside from basic humanity. There is always someone here to listen, maybe even jaw back a little. Usually, it sharpens us. 

Yes, since before my birth, Kashmir, the India/China border. The long standing Greece/Turkish tensions, South China sea, even here inside the US, seems someone's spoiling for a fight. Sons, daughters, everyone's precious lives are under some dark cloud. It’s madness, but it is there staring us all in the face. Our little squabbles here on TDB, maybe someone loses an argument now and then, most always a way to save face is provided, thoughtfully, we are all vulnerable, i am unaware of any long-term bum who hasn't come up on the short side of the stick sometime or other. 

Up in the Himalayas, two nuclear powers have had hand to hand skirmishes, sticks, stones, fists, basic weapons. It is interesting, and it is sad that bloodshed and lives lost. We can lament over it and scream for it to stop, i don't think its going to stop. The Dalai Lama has taken his position, using his influence. That's part of the reason i wonder if any of us can escape the big thing. 

I wish you the best, as I wish all bums the best, all humanity the best. 

The clouds are dark, i am concerned. Let's use our time wisely here and be of service to each other. I see you trying to do that. Thanks for helping keeping Discussions On The Way going.

I will say something more substantive later when I am not on my 2-5 minute limit to make posts since this requires more thought.

18 minutes ago, zerostao said:

I am not second guessing the Dalai Lama :D

My melancholy is making itself known to me. For me there are no Victor's. It is what it is and it is upon us. Is there a way out ?

Who’s victor? ;) 

Yes. Arjuna had a similar predicament during the Mahabharata war. Lord Krishna taught him through the Gita about what dharma is, and why he should not hesitate to perform his dharma as a warrior, and resist those who act against dharma. 

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 8:09 AM, Earl Grey said:

So I realize my short answers were already more or less adequate, but I think I'll say a few more things starting with the above: that quote is not complaining about the forum, it was a "too bad for you" response to the user who got suspended, who, by the way, was the same one who was defending Ausar. He wanted a democratic vote and felt people would rally to his cause, and didn't realize it's not the way things are here, it's more like Cheers where Ted Danson could theoretically throw Norm out if he's had too much to drink (but they're buddies, so he won't!). In other words, I was telling him to deal with it because he was causing issues for our Flying Phoenix and Doo Wai matters and some posts that have disappeared included him inciting threats of violence. 

Anyway: moving along, the visa system is already gone, I just haven't edited it or looked at my PPJ the past week. I made my point and the threads are open for all...but if someone starts posting like Everything did on Taomeow's Sumeria thread, then I'll see about employing mafia hitmen to hang them by their toes and torture them by forcing them to listen to Gilbert Gottfried, Fran Drescher, and Bobcat Goldthwait sing covers of Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Some Day My Prince Will Come"...from the tinny quality of a mobile phone's speakers instead of a surround sound stereo. 

Political correctness, overreporting, the whole "Teacher, teacher! Someone's being a meanie to me!" and "ahem! Young man, I don't like your tone...Why, when I was a lad, I had far more respect for my headmaster, blah blah...." kind of thing going on now, I hope will become a thing of the past. 

Lastly, freeform summarized his criteria that are also my reasons for saying what I say to help out, but as I just said to someone in a PM, at this point, I'm too exhausted to say much more in the future discussions, unless someone comes knocking or if someone looks like they're about to drink Clorox to cure Covid and are sure it will work because they chanted "Om" into the bottle before they attempt to chug it. 

"forcing them to listen to Gilbert Gottfried, Fran Drescher, and Bobcat Goldthwait sing covers of Bette Midler's "Wind Beneath My Wings" and "Some Day My Prince Will Come"...from the tinny quality of a mobile phone's speakers instead of a surround sound stereo." ---- I never realized, how vicious you can be!

• Like 1

On 9/11/2020 at 8:32 AM, dwai said:

A lot of nonsense has/will be spouted about Hinduism’s “evils”. The truth lies in between the multiple narratives in the social context. That would be a massive thread of its own. 

That said, everyone is entitled to their own views. ;) 

And that does nothing to support or prove that akashic record reading is a Hindu practice :D 

There is no Hinduism/Taoism/Christian/Islam/etc evil! Only evil human manipulators!

As an aside, I have no judgements about akashic records and frankly in my opinion; it is just a relabeling of an ancient concept.  You can find, in virtually any religion throughout history, references to being able to see histories of people, when you reach a certain level or when you die, etc, etc. The bible makes many references on how certain holy men, angels, God, Jesus were going to read your history back to you from "records."

I personally think it is a vibrational thing, that can sometimes be tapped into, though interpretation can certainly be a problem.

Most of us have experienced how a dog instantly hates one particular someone.  Ex: When I was very young I got a job as a veterinarian assistant.  It was a live-in job taking care of all of the animals.  The first day on the job another assistant (whom I had never met before) came around the corner of a building, about 100 feet away. In less than a second I had to restrain my dog from trying to kill him ( totally out of character for my dog, and he never again did it with anyone else.).  It turned out that animals all over Edmonds, Wa had been tortured and mutilated for several years, by that assistant.

There wasn't time for my dog to pick up a scent or the assistant's actions; my dog just knew. So, there is some kind of extra-sensory records/stimulation/vibration of some sort.  I personally don't ascribe to "records" because interpretation is far too subjective.  But, I believe that in some way they probably do exist.

Edited by moment
  • Like 4

22 hours ago, thelerner said:

However you define it, I get the feeling 'New Age' is dying.  Once upon a time there were a couple new age book stores in Chicago.  They're gone.  Normal book stores used to have huge sections of New Age stuff, some good, some woo woo.  They're much smaller these days and books stores themselves, sadly, are dying off. 

The New Age used to spawn a new Thing every season.  I don't think it does anymore.  No bright trend to sell soft covers.  For all its bubble gum, it was usually optimistic and had the opportunity to lead proponents into deeper more constructive subjects. 

'Conspiracy theories', like New Age, is a nebulous term.  Its dark cousin, has taken over, supplanting it.  It's got the books and the crazies now.  Which is too bad

Conspiracy theories were rampant in the mid-Sixties, Richard J. Hofstadter created the meme of "The Paranoid Style in American Politics" in 1964 and the John Birch Society actively promoted anti Soviet right wing conspiracies and on the left the CIA was suspected of having assassinated President Kennedy.

The Shadows which have eclipsed the New Age were already gathering when Anton Levey declared the beginning of the Age of Satan on April 30, 1966, Walpurgisnactht, but also the day of the retrograde conjunction of Pluto and Uranus in Virgo.  These outer planet conjunctions are very important, and if you actually follow them over time you can see some remarkable patterns that form.

An amusing aside related to bookstores is that the most successful "New Age" bookstore where I live was started when a few friends bought out a right wing conspiracy bookstore in the mid Seventies and turned into a "new age" one.

I could write more, but this is not the place for reviewing the history of the New Age and its place in the Occult Revival.

ZYD

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Zhongyongdaoist said:

I could write more, but this is not the place for reviewing the history of the New Age and its place in the Occult Revival.

There are many tangents in this thread, and this one I find particularly interesting.  I suspect thelerner's observation about book stores closing is a part of a larger trend of small local bookstores struggling against online behemoths, rather than a decrease in interest in "New Age" thinking. 

As far as I can figure it, every culture has their own folk religion, that gives people with no interest in difficult vows or practices geared toward otherworldly "enlightenment" a way to feel a connection to the spiritual world, both as a way to feel one has special knowledge, and to make this connection practical for their daily life.  What typically gets lumped together as New Age is a major folk tradition of the Western world.  It is the descendent of 19th century New Thought, Theosophy, and Spiritualism, and the use of Eastern motifs outside of their original context and meaning.  

Edited by Creation
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, moment said:

There is no Hinduism/Taoism/Christian/Islam/etc evil! Only evil human manipulators!

As an aside, I have no judgements about akashic records and frankly in my opinion; it is just a relabeling of an ancient concept.  You can find, in virtually any religion throughout history, references to being able to see histories of people, when you reach a certain level or when you die, etc, etc. The bible makes many references on how certain holy men, angels, God, Jesus were going to read your history back to you from "records."

I hope Jesus can  do  mine without laughing .

I personally think it is a vibrational thing, that can sometimes be tapped into, though interpretation can certainly be a problem.

Most of us have experienced how a dog instantly hates one particular someone.  Ex: When I was very young I got a job as a veterinarian assistant.  It was a live-in job taking care of all of the animals.  The first day on the job another assistant (whom I had never met before) came around the corner of a building, about 100 feet away. In less than a second I had to restrain my dog from trying to kill him ( totally out of character for my dog, and he never again did it with anyone else.).  It turned out that animals all over Edmonds, Wa had been tortured and mutilated for several years, by that assistant.

One time, I went a bit 'crazy' at this club .  This guy was dancing on the dance floor and I took an immediate dislike to him for no real reason and even had ideas in my head about a pre emptive strike and taking him out before he could do anything . I had a strange feeling about him suddenly pulling a gun out and shooting everyone .  The guy kept dancing over near women and trying to dance 'with them' and they kept moving away .  Nothing THAT serious . So I then chastised myself for allowing weird thoughts .

later I was downstairs in the mens room and the bouncer came in freaking out and went to the sink to wash blood off all over his face to get a look at the cut on it. I went over to help him  - it wasnt too bad . I asked what happened and ... yep . The weird guy had slashed him across the face with a knife and run off .

There wasn't time for my dog to pick up a scent or the assistant's actions; my dog just knew. So, there is some kind of extra-sensory records/stimulation/vibration of some sort.  I personally don't ascribe to "records" because interpretation is far too subjective.  But, I believe that in some way they probably do exist.

More like  'imprints'  ? 

• Like 4