Sign in to follow this  
RiverSnake

Kobra Kai

My housemate was watching Kobra Kai the tv show and I watched a couple episodes. I am a martial artist so if found it particularly interesting. One thing it exemplified most intensely was the potential traps you'll find on the path. If you practice the Martial Way, then the roadblocks you face  (especially at the beginning)can be the most obvious and are shown in the show. Being too "Hard" or "Soft", oppressing the weak and letting the power of being able to physically break another person, go to your head.....etc.  

All paths have there own "traps", that will cause you to stagnant at a certain level of ability. I've encountered many and they are not always obvious....sometimes there very subtle, like ignoring a stagnant area of your life, going on power trips or easily falling into despair when you lose your way. 

Anyways, it's a decent show...though a tad dramatic...i don't have the temperament for too much of that anymore. Cheers....and remember "It doesn't matter if your a loser, a nerd or a freak. All that matters, is that you become badass." Cobra Kai 

• Like 3

If you like cheesy 1980's inspired action comedies that are shamelessly over the top, then it's a great piece of pop culture. It also appears to be aware of its own ridiculousness, and does criticize some of its own tropes. My family and I DO happen to like cheesy 1980's inspired action comedies that are shamelessly over the top, so we've thoroughly enjoyed it. 

However, the best piece of cheesy, over-the-top martial arts movie about the (spiritual) path is Circle of Iron. Unfortunately, it stars David Carradine instead of Bruce Lee (who of course had died by then), which is a kind of sore spot given how the tv show "Kung Fu" panned out (i.e. Bruce pitching the Warrior about a martial artist in the old West, but then passed over the role for DC). 

Spoiler

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQciIwJGkRW0RUYn5T2TbT

Sign in to follow this