Sign in to follow this  
sunshine

Sonnon's Be Breathed: Butterfly question

This question goes out to the ones who know the Be Breathed program by Scott Sonnon.

Already with the first exercise (the Butterfly) I have difficulties getting how to do it correctly.

Let's say he lies there straight and then comes up with the body into the sitting position. He does an inhale. Now going back to the straight lying down position he does a sudden exhale (between straight sitting & starting to lie down)... now: does one continue to the exhale while slowly lying down vertebra by vertebra or does one keep a completely exhalated position (so no breathing part at all) while doing this?

Same problem with coming from the butterfly position into the straight lying position. He does a quick exhale (abdominal wall contraction) short before getting into the lying down position... but the descritpion again does not tell you if you have already reached full exhalation before moving on to the straight lying down position or if one continues to exhale after the first exahaltion contraction...

I know: that all is probably not easy to understand, but I lack the ability to describe it better...

thankx for any help

Harry

the first exercise (the Butterfly)

3597[/snapback]

I'm not familiar with Sonnon's "Be Breathed" program, nor "the Butterfly" in particular.

But, in qigong in general, the movement of the body is in sync, in tempo, with the breath. Its a foundation principle.

Could be that Sonnon is doing something very specific & other than that.

yeah, its weird.

i havent practiced it or looked at it in a while, but i remember that the slow version and the fast version are different.

i remember just practicing it slowly at first and as i sped up chenging the breathing pattern, which seemed to conflict with the idea of the exercize, which is to "be breathed" and not to force air in or out. eventually, i got to where i could let go and just to the exercize and let it breathe me with the volume of air increasing each session.

when i start it again, in a couple of weeks i'll let you know, and we can discuss

{There is so much stuff on TTB if you can find it :lol:}

So anyone still doing Be Breathed?

I was looking at this vid last night http://www.thetaobums.com/Z-health-t2194.html and floor routine sort of stuck in my head. Looks interesting. The seated one is easy to do when stuck at a desk all day too.

{There is so much stuff on TTB if you can find it :lol:}

So anyone still doing Be Breathed?

No, but I've been doing Intu-flow for the past two weeks or so. :)

Yes intuflow, flowfit, they all look pretty good. Never seem to hear much about this Slavic Natural Health System - Zdorovye but the 2 things that seem to be grabbing me with be breathed as opposeed to the "X-Fit" series.

Perpetual Exercise - basically contracting the abdomen as you exhale, tilting the pelvis up and rolling the shoulders over and down as the spine contracts forward. Then relaxing to inhale, pelvis tilts back , shoulders roll back spine extends and flexes back. All easy to remember to do throughout the day and subtle enough to do while seated in an office environment. Focusing on breathing is a KAP thing (as it is in all good systems) so nothing revolutionary just a good solid idea.

Floor routine - I don't like lying down routines that need a mat, but I've been doing back bridges recently and this could be a good balancing complement to that.

Found a youtube, it's the faster respiration frequency "exercise" routine. There is a slower version that your start off with and the final bit is what it evolves into.

V6SVmMotBQw

I had not seen the hands to ankle bridge in the video I had been watching so perhaps that is from CST.

How is Into-flow going Pero. I'm enjoying the be breathed floor routine although I think it's going to take a while before I can flow, I"m still rather ballistic and momentum based. But I'm having fun learning

p.s. youtube seems not to embed anymore.

Hi Mal.

I was listening to Sonnon on "Secrets of Qigong Masters" and he said something interesting. He said that Indian and Chinese breathing methods spread to Russia, and evolved into folk methods for health called zdroye (apparently that is Russian for heath). Then the Soviets took this knowledge and applied scientific methods to it all to systematize it, and that is what Sonnon says he learned in Russia, which he now teaches in his materials.

A little late in replying but you know why haha...

How is Into-flow going Pero.

Pretty good, although I'm not practicing regularly. About 4-5 times a week. It's going more smoothly than in the begining, less painful in some parts haha. I've also noticed that it's a good idea for me to do it before basketball. I don't seem to have as much muscle pain later and I feel better while playing too.

I'm enjoying the be breathed floor routine although I think it's going to take a while before I can flow, I"m still rather ballistic and momentum based. But I'm having fun learning.

What benefits did you get from it?

I was listening to Sonnon on "Secrets of Qigong Masters" and he said something interesting. He said that Indian and Chinese breathing methods spread to Russia, and evolved into folk methods for health called zdroye (apparently that is Russian for heath). Then the Soviets took this knowledge and applied scientific methods to it all to systematize it, and that is what Sonnon says he learned in Russia, which he now teaches in his materials.

I went looking for Slavic Natural Health System Zdorovye (a different spelling I guess) and all I hit was a thread here

http://www.thetaobums.com/index.php?/topic/2194-z-health/page__p__167084__hl__sonnon__fromsearch__1entry167084

and this one

http://www.naturalhealthweb.com/articles/brackbill1.html

so I don't really know much about it.

Sign in to follow this