silent thunder

Any experience with Shadow People, or The Hat Man?

I'm curious if anyone here has had experiences with Shadow People, the Hat Man, or The Hag?

I had two fully conscious experiences, one with The Hag and one with Hat Man.  Perhaps I'll dig up my old files on them or write them again if there's any traction to this...

Sometime during 2019, me and twichi were either out in the yard in the darkness or in the house, also in darkness. There had been quite a bit of talk on the street about shadows, and we were being vigilant, being watchful, the topic came up. She said its when you see the shadow move you need to pay attention. The night the first house on the street burnt, we had seen a shadow move a few hours prior.

Posted (edited)

The Hat Man is a pretty quick tell. 

The encounter was very brief, only a few seconds from encounter to confrontation to standing by myself in my empty apartment; but the image and memory is as vivid as when it occured, some 24 years ago.

I had just returned home to our second floor Brownstone apartment in Brooklyn.  It was mid-day.  Our apartment occupied the entire second floor of the building, so when standing in our bedroom, one can see through the entire apartment... three other rooms all in a line to the living room and out the bay windows on the street side of the building some 50 feet away.  This time of day the sun is streaming in those bay windows.

Our sofa was positioned with its back to those windows, facing toward the bedroom.  So his profile was outlined vividly for me. 

The moment I cleared the corner into our bedroom I sensed someone in the living room.  A micro-moment later I registered his outline in peripheral vision.  The clear outline of a man (big) wearing a large brimmed hat, sitting on the left side of our sofa.  Pefectly back lit by the windows...

As was more common back then, subjective time ensued and time slowed to a crawl for a few microseconds.

There's a guy (big) sitting on my sofa?

There's a guy(big) sitting on my sofa!

Some poor fool is about to get broken...

What's with the hat?

As I processed... there was never any fear, or emotion apart from startled acknowledgement.

When the threat processed and time snapped back to full speed, there was no thinking, just reacting.

I instantly shifted into 'You're done' Mode... and turned to charge and dismantle him.

By the time I turned fully and took a step to charge... as he had come to full standing height, it was gone.  simply gone.  

I stopped... and stood there at a loss for several long moments.  Processing... then, as was my wont in those heady, power soaked Druidic Astral traveling, Shao Lin/Jeet Kun Do Spirit Encountering Days... I shrugged it off as another in the long line of multiple entity experiences my wife and I had both logged in and around that location and promplty let it go. 

Couple things really stand out though.

He was still until the moment I became aware of him.  That is when he moved, and while I processed that concept of 'stranger in my home' and 'get him!' he was standing up, very calmly, and unhurriedly, to full height.  It seems in hindsight that he'd been sitting there waiting a few minutes for me to get home.  Simply waiting for me to register his presence.  I got the clear signal that he wanted me to know and acknowledge he was there.

And for a micromoment, before it vanished... I had that moment of clear view that it seems he wanted me to have...    

A pefectly crisp outline of a 6'6"(ish) man made of shadow, wearing a long cut, below the knee length coat, sporting a wide brimmed 40's style Fedora hat.  Utterly Jet Pitch, Void BlackNo reflective properties at all... this is and was the most alien aspect of the whole encounter for me... not the vanishing, or the being there in the first place.  The perfect Pure Lightlessness in the shape of a rather corny seeming cut out of a film noir detective like some comic book image.

Aside from the crisp outline, there were no features or distinguishable details about it in any way.  Nothing reflected light within the boundaries of the outline.

It was not whispy, cloudy or foggy in the least.  It was a pristine edged, crisp utterly non-reflective, pitch-black shadow figure and occured in a brightly lit room, mid-day.  I was 27 at the time... in peak shao lin/jeet kun do condition, no drugs, no sleepiness.  Just adrenaline and 'the fuck?' and then... <shrug...> <ghosts...>.  I recall saying something glib, like "well that was anti-climactic.  But then, there was lots of high strangeness that was occuring back in those days, for my wife, myself and some close friends upstairs... so this got chocked up to an 'inquisitive astral entity' who'd probably followed me home from a bodiless venture and I promptly disregarded it within a few minutes and didn't think of it again for well over a decade until after moving to California, I heard someone on a late night radio show talking about their experience with Shadow People and one person called in to describe their encounter with a being they called The Hat Man. 

It was pure awesome to have my memory of Hat Man come flooding back!

It arose in vivid recall as this person described almost an identical figure in an experience they had.  Before the show was over I'd begun searching the interwebs and there was a veritable shit ton of folks sharing nigh on identical descriptions to mine. 

So that's my Hat Man experience. 

Anyone else?

Edited by silent thunder
fixed wording in one sentence for clarity.
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Hey ST,

Have you read any of my posts on Daemonic Reality, or do you know of it anyway , or read any Patrick Harpur ?

• Thanks 1

No, Patrick is not familiar and I would remember that thread, if I'd seen it in my feed.  I'll do a search for it.

Aside from a very little bit of digging years ago when I heard the radio program, I haven't thought about it in the years since then either.  Other than a strange experience, it's never held much weight in my awareness.  Shadow people got mentioned on another 'Strange Phenomenon' focused forum that I sometimes contribute to yesterday... so that brought it to mind and since this forum has a much healthier relationship to 'the strange' I thought I'd see what folks here have experienced out of curiosity.

I never pursued studying it in any depth, and have only cursorily ever studied Occult topics.  Most of what I happened across was collections of anecdotal sharing by folks, though many it seems, have the visitations over years.  Hat Man, never seems to do anything, just stares at people.  The Hag was a long encounter, it spanned a lucid dream, a hypnogogic vision and sleep paralysis.  That was a direct encounter and an assault, but the Hat Man seemed innocuous in all aspects, presence and subtle energy signature (to me).

And both of my experiences were 'one offs'.  Hat Man and The Hag (if that's what she was, still unsure about that one) were both just one time 'visitations', or at least, for me they were... I've never had a whiff of either again, consciously anyway.  Interesting though, after posting this yesterday, a friend (who lived upstairs in that Brownstone) called and we spoke for several hours last night.  I mentioned my experience and he recalled me sharing it with him back then... and then he reminded me of the encounter he had with what he assumed was his personified shadow that nearly broke him mentally... it occured during the same period as my Hat Man and Hag encounters, only his was terrifying in the extreme and nearly caused him to lose his grip on sanity. 

We were both in very dark places mentally and spiritually back then and part of me, after he shared his experience wondered if this was a tulpa like manifestation of my own shadow.  But that never gained any inertia.

Many folks experience terror in their sightings/meetings.

My encounters were intense, but never induced high emotions of any kind, just the startled effect of extreme oddness.

My buddy's encounter was as freaky as I've heard.  His was with a cloud-shadow, which I've not heard many people describe. 

It would coalesce and try permeate or saturate him... he wrestled with it on a possession like scale for some months.  He must have been pinged by my posting this, as called me last night and we spoke for hours and finally rolled around to what was going on for us when we had these encounters.  There was lots of turmoil and dark energies coming to the fore in both our lives.  He's convinced his encounter was with an aspect of his own psyche.  I mulled that over in my case, but it never gained inertia and like I said... I seem to think of this only once every 10 years or so, then it recedes again.

Intriguing though...

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In my experience: the average shadow man can be just a low-level avatar created by a mage or sorcerer to travel around vicariously in (frequently made as a copy of the sheut, body), the shadowy appierence is because the mage or sorcerer is not putting enough energy into the avatar to light it up. A hat man is an avatar that has been created with a spirit disk installed in its headhatman1.jpg.a472d72b6116b9edb88db9c2982f53a6.jpg, the spirit disk holds the drippings of a human personality giving the hat man a personality and independent thinking, and the mage or sorcerer can still gain the vicarious experience of its activities, if the hat man avatar has enough energy projected into it to light it up, then when people see it they frequently say that they have been visited by it a saint or angele.

I have experienced a lit up hatman projected by a world-class sorcerer, and I have viewed my own sheut as it was lit up with power, by some israeli mages in a viewing ceremony.:)

The five parts of the Egyptian soul were the Ren, the Ba, the Ka, the Sheut, and the Ib.
Edited by mrpasserby
clarity
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Interesting stuff @mrpasserby

Never considered the possibility it could be a vehicle for a mage's awareness; my assumption was always that it was an entity in its native form, or rather, how its native form appeared through my perceptual process.  The vehicle concept is intriguing.  Thanks for sharing.

Hat Man definitively seemed to just be observing and perhaps curious.  There was no malice in the presence, (just my conditioned threat from a stranger in my home)  but i sensed no agenda aside from the overriding sensation that he wanted me to notice him.

Edited by silent thunder
removed some content, decided to share less
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Hat Man definitively seemed to just be observing and perhaps curious.  There was no malice in the presence, (just my conditioned threat from a stranger in my home)  but i sensed no agenda aside from the overriding sensation that he wanted me to notice him, and just my projection.

In my experience: a wispy shadow man can be a natural phenomena (produced by a dreamer), a shadow man more solidly appearing is the next level, and someone with a intention is behind it (a asterial projector). If you are desiring unseen world experience, a shadow man could have been attracted. In my experience: One way of seeing who is projecting a shadow man is to meditate and increase the energy to the third eye.  :)

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mrpasserby said:

If you are desiring unseen world experience, a shadow man could have been attracted.

At the time, I was working extensively in the subtle and astral and with some internally directed and arising shamanic practices (Sami/Druidic and Lakota influences in my recent and direct past) during that period.  Also, due to said work, there was a definitive 'rising to the surface' of previously unacknowledged shadow tendencies within my own awareness patterns.

This fueled my assumption that it was an entity, grown curious of, or was drawn to observe, or perhaps feed on energy signatures that were a byproduct from the work I was engaging in (devotedly and quite intensely) at the time.  But I've nothing remotely conclusive regarding any of it. It's a mild curiosity and I've so much time on my hands lately.

It could be so many things, or non-things, or even no things at all.  Even now, it's not like it happened to me.  it's more like an episode of Twilight Zone that I got to be part of... like a highly lucid dream.  It's never garnered much importance or long term relevance aside from an intriguing experience that asks more questions than it answers... (which lately, i really appreciate).

• Like 1

I have only seen this once.

I was a teenager at home, listening to music. My family were all out, I was alone. The only light was coming from the kitchen. I had stood up and was changing the record when there was a clattering noise from the kitchen. I spun round and clearly saw the shadow of the top part of a person move across the doors of a cabinet.

Checking the kitchen I found a brush which had been on the table was now on the floor. I decided at that point to go out for the evening.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, rocala said:

I have only seen this once.

I was a teenager at home, listening to music. My family were all out, I was alone. The only light was coming from the kitchen. I had stood up and was changing the record when there was a clattering noise from the kitchen. I spun round and clearly saw the shadow of the top part of a person move across the doors of a cabinet.

Checking the kitchen I found a brush which had been on the table was now on the floor. I decided at that point to go out for the evening.

Wow, cool encounter mate.  Thank you for sharing.

Most, or rather all of the encounters I've read, (according to my memory of it now anyway) all seem to be spontaneous and unsought.  I've yet to encounter someone telling the story of wilfully summoning an experience of shadows... (that just popped into mind and seems significant somehow...)

The bolded bit has me curious... was the bottom half of the shadow obscured by something?  Or was it in full view, unobscured and there was only a top half was manifested?

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 1

Hi @silent thunder The cabinet is a wall cupboard above a work surface. The shadow may well have been full length but I did not see that.

This was one of quite a few strange happenings in our house as well as for some of our neighbours. The whole street was newly built but weird things started happening very soon after we moved in.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rocala said:

The cabinet is a wall cupboard above a work surface. The shadow may well have been full length but I did not see that.

Ok, that's what I pictured but wanted to be sure.  Thank you.

I've not heard of anyone seeing half bodies of shadows, they all seem fully formed, so I was curious. 

Tangentially, I've also read of and heard many accounts of folks seeing shadows shaped like animals as well... cats, dogs and birds mostly, but one common feature is they all seem to be whole body manifestations.  These experiences often cluster up with multiple types of shadows being encountered during a period of months and for some folks, even years.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Similar to how you mentioned the time dilating when you experienced "hat man" for me.  It's like "real" time slows and "awareness time" moves ahead and in between.  

I was having a memory of some rather crass music friends and I used to enjoy as teenagers.  So I thought to put it on and re-experience it.  The manifestation happened the second the music started to play.  

I saw a being very very closely resembling this.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 3.49.08 PM.png

This is a picture of a mirrored painting by Da Vinci.   

There was definitely a military garb/quality about it.  

I won't share the song or lyrics here directly, but the song was "Kill you" by eminem.  

I promptly turned it off and made an important connection about the qualities inherent in different types of media.  

Definitely makes me wonder if there are forces causing trouble at large scale in the world. 

Edited by qofq
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Whoa... That's a potent image.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm curious.  Was this vision in your mind's eye, or a physical manifestation?

I've experienced some of both is why I'm asking.

Posted (edited)

It was in between so to speak.  

Like sometimes with eyes closed I will see spaces between reality and dream worlds and they have unique associated mental and feeling qualities for the different "layers" or "frequencies" or however you might define them.  

And sometimes I have to do a double take and it's like I'm seeing on the physical, yet in multiple planes and at  different speeds at once.

where in the case above I thought I saw that thing standing in my doorway when I put the music on, and did a double take. 

But simultaneously (and like in way faster time)  I could perceive my awareness (maybe shen)  on a different layer having ran up close to it and for a detailed look. 

Really difficult to explain the quality.  

But I'd say semi-physical :huh:

Edited by qofq
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, qofq said:

It was in between so to speak.  

Like sometimes with eyes closed I see spaces between reality and dream worlds and they have unique associated metal and feeling qualities for the different "layers" or "frequencies" or however you might define them.  

And sometimes I have to do a double take and it's like I'm seeing on the physical, yet in multiple planes and at  different speeds at once.

where in the case above I thought I saw that thing standing in my doorway when I put the music on, and did a double take. 

But simultaneously (and like in way faster time)  I could perceive my awareness (maybe shen)  on a different layer having ran up close to it and for a detailed look. 

Really difficult to explain the quality.  

But I'd say semi-physical :huh:

Wow, what a great description of a very ethereal process.  Nicely done mate... I'm glad I asked.

Your answer reminds me of a tenet often shared by @rene.  Both, same time. 

You really put to words experiences I've had since early childhood and often defy my ability to describe them, the way you observed and could distinguish the varying speeds of time on the varying levels is spot on for me, yet often lies beyond words. 

Tangentially, my wife and I both, during this period also experienced several extremely radical shifts in time experience, and full on time bubbles.  But that's for another thread perhaps.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

The reason I mentioned Daimonic Reality and Harpur is he uses 'hat man'  as one of the motifs  ( a dominant or recurring 'strange ' event ) in Daimonic Reality theory , along with others  like Hag, Black Dog, Lake Monster, UFO, etc  .

"    'Harpur's starting-point is that vast numbers of ordinary, reliable people, with no track record of involvement in Otherworldly phenomena, who would be regarded as reliable witnesses in all other circumstances, persist in reporting vivid encounters with the denizens of the otherworld.  Those encounters in our age are likely to be with alleged aliens, large or small, but bear uncanny resemblances to the age-old encounters with faerie folk, spirits, and other manifestations of different places and other times....  The standard response to all this is to argue either that it is all in us, in the form of persistent patterns of hallucination or madness; or the projection of archetypal patterns onto reality.  Alternatively, the phenomena are taken seriously as being evidence of something really out there in the physical world, as aliens visiting the Earth, or prehistoric creatures living in deep cold lakes etc.  Harpur pursues a different, and more challenging line.  What is at stake, he suggests, is the nature of reality itself.

"    'With Jung, Harpur argues that these are phenomena of the psyche, but that psyche is of the world, not just of us as individuals.  Indeed, our much cherished individual selves and psyches may be no more than embodiments of that world-soul (rediscovered in our age as the goddess Gaia).  The phenomena in which the book rejoices may be appearances to us of its ancient inhabitants.  They appear in different forms to match changing cultural expectations and concerns.  An appearance of the Goddess becomes an appearance of the Blessed Virgin Mary, becomes a woman with golden hair emerging from her spacecraft.  The mistake, he suggests, is to deny and repress these manifestations, since the repressed returns, pathologically and dangerously, if separated from a context of meaning and belief.  Harpur suggests that a function of these daimonic forces may now be to undermine a deadening and narrow scientific orthodoxy and world-view - the 'single vision' which Blake so deplored.  This sounds very radical but Harpur is the first to point out that it is not very new.  By drawing on a philosophical tradition that flows down the centuries from the Neoplatonists, through the Romantics, and crucially in Bake, Yeats and Jung, he shows that there is an ancient history of understanding of this daimonic, Otherworld reality.  Indeed, he goes back further still by embracing the folklore and tales of the Otherworld from across the Western tradition, and acknowledges that every culture, except perhaps our own, has seen its world as interpenetrated with another, shadowy, yet powerful reality, full of wonder, beauty and terror.  The key to being alert to it lies in what Blake called the Imagination, and in not allowing the rational mind to shut out what it cannot readily comprehend or control. "

http://www.harpur.org/PJCHdaimonicreality.htm

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/28/2020 at 6:54 PM, qofq said:

Similar to how you mentioned the time dilating when you experienced "hat man" for me.  It's like "real" time slows and "awareness time" moves ahead and in between.  

I was having a memory of some rather crass music friends and I used to enjoy as teenagers.  So I thought to put it on and re-experience it.  The manifestation happened the second the music started to play.  

I saw a being very very closely resembling this.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 3.49.08 PM.png

This is a picture of a mirrored painting by Da Vinci.   

There was definitely a military garb/quality about it.  

I won't share the song or lyrics here directly, but the song was "Kill you" by eminem.  

I promptly turned it off and made an important connection about the qualities inherent in different types of media.  

Definitely makes me wonder if there are forces causing trouble at large scale in the world. 

Looks like one of the images from a da Vinci painting. Leonardo had all types of similar images embedded in his paintings. Under the surface, or if it was folded, mirrored, offset. It was referred to as spectral vision.

I was at a bar once talking with a work crew up from Alburcrazy New Mexico, they called it. They were all Navajo. We were having a great conversation, having a few drinks, laughing, until, ibrought up skinwalkers. That ended the fun. A couple of them sat there totally still and silent. One subtlety shook his head, no. One looked at me and said, you can talk those things up, best to not think about them or ever mention them.

Last year, where i was,shadow people were talked about, seen, active, all kinds of mischief. Thinking about them, talking about them, looking for them, does that feed them energy, and it's a speak of the devil type thing going on?

Well we all have our own suspicions over such encounters and manners of engaging such things. 

I don't mind if folks wish to stay away from the topic. 

My two encounters were close together, almost back to back 24 years ago and when I put the Hag and her servant in their place... in the second encounter, there's never been a whiff of anything since.

I've always suspected it was personal dark energy that attracts them.  I was deep in working through, embracing and being lost in severe anger and rage at society back then... if they feed on something, I'm suspecting that's the source... but that's just my gut talkin' instinct stuff...

• Like 1