Wayist

Asteroid To Impact Earth On November the 2nd, 2020

NASA saw an asteroid that barely missed Australia 2 days ago. In a report from NASA, via The Palomar Observatory, an asteroid came very close to the continent of Australia two days ago. It was not seen until it was right on top of Australia because of the brightness of the sun's light. Another asteroid is supposed to *impact* the earth on November the 2nd, 2020. For those who care, that's one day before the American Presidential Election!  lol  I did not see the size of this asteroid in the report that I read, nor where on the earth that it might impact.  One would think that this would be all over the news, but the only place that I've seen it reported on, is here on the internet. NASA has a website that follows space objects (or at least most of them!) coming near the earth, and it's mentioned there. I'm sorry that I did not get the URL for that website. This sounds like a movie, but I assure you, that's it's real!     Peace,  Wayist

Edited by Wayist
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

:rolleyes:

An asteroid roughly the size of an SUV has whizzed past Earth at a distance of about 2945km.

The event at the weekend was the closest-ever known encounter with such a space object, NASA and Pasadena-based Jet Propulsion Laboratory announced on Tuesday.

“It’s really cool to see a small asteroid come by this close, because we can see the Earth’s gravity dramatically bend its trajectory,’‘ Paul Chodas, director of the Center for Near-Earth Object Studies at JPL, said in a statement.

“Our calculations show that this asteroid got turned by 45 degrees or so as it swung by our planet.”

The Near Earth Asteroid, or NEA, flew past the Earth roughly over the southern Indian Ocean just after 9 pm California time Saturday, according to JPL.

The space rock known as asteroid 2020 QG was about to three to six metres long.

Although it passed safely by Earth, if it had flown directly at the planet, it likely would have broken up in the atmosphere, officials said.

In space terms, the asteroid was considered to be very small.

JPL and NASA official said there are “hundreds of millions’‘ of such small asteroids, and they are hard to detect until they get “extremely close” to Earth.

- 7news.com.au 

AND

The celestial object known as 2018VP1 is projected to come close to Earth on November 2, according to the Center for Near Earth Objects Studies at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory. It was first identified at Palomar Observatory in California in 2018.

"Asteroid 2018VP1 is very small, approximately 6.5 feet (1.9 metres), and poses no threat to Earth. If it were to enter our planet's atmosphere, it would disintegrate due to its extremely small size," NASA said in a statement.

"NASA has been directed by Congress to discover 90 per cent of the near-Earth asteroids larger than 140 meters (459 feet) in size and reports on asteroids of any size."

NASA says that, "based on 21 observations spanning 12.968 days," the agency has determined the asteroid probably won't have a deep impact, let alone bring Armageddon.

The chance of it hitting us is just 0.41 percent, data show

- 7news.com.au 

NEXT !

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Nungali said:

NEXT !

What's next?  Devil dinosaurs may know.  Perhaps eternal peace, prosperity, an unimpeded pursuit of happiness successful in eight billion cases, the lion shall lie with the lamb (by the way, anybody remember it used to be the lion? -- in the current version it's the wolf and it's maintained it's always been the wolf, the lion is a glitch in the false memory of accidental amnesiacs -- which some of them, in their denial, call the Mandela effect), the meek shall inherit the earth, the trumpets shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible?

Or...  Universal basic income in exchange for total control by global government, digital/medical concentration camp for all, the culling of the herd, mandatory everything or else, humans GM humanoids under AI guidance, the boot stamping on a human face forever? (©Orwell) 

Which scenario do you see as more plausible?

I for one welcome our insect overlords. (©The Simpsons) 

• Haha 1

the "dark soul" will or is having his day but will still fall...

for in the end the sacred Singer and Her song remains unbroken...

Edited by old3bob

11 hours ago, Taomeow said:

What's next?  Devil dinosaurs may know.  Perhaps eternal peace, prosperity, an unimpeded pursuit of happiness successful in eight billion cases, the lion shall lie with the lamb (by the way, anybody remember it used to be the lion? -- in the current version it's the wolf and it's maintained it's always been the wolf, the lion is a glitch in the false memory of accidental amnesiacs -- which some of them, in their denial, call the Mandela effect), the meek shall inherit the earth, the trumpets shall sound and the dead shall be raised incorruptible?

Or...  Universal basic income in exchange for total control by global government, digital/medical concentration camp for all, the culling of the herd, mandatory everything or else, humans GM humanoids under AI guidance, the boot stamping on a human face forever? (©Orwell) 

Which scenario do you see as more plausible?

I for one welcome our insect overlords. (©The Simpsons) 

I suppose the scenario depends on what and where you are .

next for me is a warm wet spring, which will defray next bushfire season.  I hope to have my plush new bathhouse finished by then. So I shall be relaxing in a hot tub looking out through ceiling to floor glass at the  tree ferns. palms and view down the valley . Occasional I might take the motorcycle or Rover out for a spin . Maybe float down the river on an air mat and watch the rainforest drift by , I dont plan on laying down with any wolves or lions  ... the current vixen  is enough for the moment.   I will do a revamp of the veggie garden and make new organic compost  heaps and probably spend some time at the ,  beach. Also I plan to  spend some time at the little  local city on the coast and visit the nearby small islands and partake in the new trial programme  where they are allowing people to interact with whales ( in other places except here and Coral Bay WA, one must keep a big distance from them and retreat if approached by them .

The rest if the time I will be hanging out here , in our safe from covid bubble  area  / state .

- sorry f I disappointed any panic merchants with my anti ' death asteroid ' info   :) 

- Wait !  Maybe it WAS a death asteroid ... and we are all in 'Mandela denial ' ?   

34 minutes ago, Nungali said:

I suppose the scenario depends on what and where you are .

next for me is a warm wet spring, which will defray next bushfire season.  I hope to have my plush new bathhouse finished by then. So I shall be relaxing in a hot tub looking out through ceiling to floor glass at the  tree ferns. palms and view down the valley . Occasional I might take the motorcycle or Rover out for a spin . Maybe float down the river on an air mat and watch the rainforest drift by , I dont plan on laying down with any wolves or lions  ... the current vixen  is enough for the moment.   I will do a revamp of the veggie garden and make new organic compost  heaps and probably spend some time at the ,  beach. Also I plan to  spend some time at the little  local city on the coast and visit the nearby small islands and partake in the new trial programme  where they are allowing people to interact with whales ( in other places except here and Coral Bay WA, one must keep a big distance from them and retreat if approached by them .

The rest if the time I will be hanging out here , in our safe from covid bubble  area  / state .

- sorry f I disappointed any panic merchants with my anti ' death asteroid ' info   :) 

- Wait !  Maybe it WAS a death asteroid ... and we are all in 'Mandela denial ' ?   

Sounds nice, but I'm not sure it's got anything to do with my question.  I meant the rest of humanity, not you personally.  You described the joy of being you, and I am sincerely happy for you.  Hope you realize though that your personal circumstances anticipated for the duration of spring down under is not what I was questioning.  I was questioning some people's (let's not name any names) delusional and/or toxic positivity, with its cultish following and with many of its followers embracing this mentality as a socially acceptable, nay encouraged, form of narcissism.

I know very little about asteroids and have never counted on one to solve any of humanity's problems.  I know a bit more about some other dangers.  But since you're exempt from those, I can only reiterate that I'm happy for you.  Oh, and about those animals in the bible -- I just wanted to find out if you remember the lion.  If you don't, you don't.  If you do, I wonder if a sense of wonder ever visited you in conjunction with that animal.  Is all.  

• Like 1

I remember Lion.  KJ version at least in the 70's and 80's when I was deep in the 'preacher in training' school, it was lion.  Haven't looked at a bible in a long while.  Not since Cern anyway... another Mandela Effect I guess, I'll add it to the pile.

I used that to question my sunday school teachers...

"So in the ark... did the lions lay with the lambs or eat them?  What did they eat?  Did they bring extra lambs for the lions... cuz two wouldn't last 40 days..."  I usually got the non-answer 'God provided'... heh... Fun times. 

Speaking of fun times... 2020 seems to wholly embody that old chinese curse.

"May you live in interesting times."

edit to add: and as for elections... since age 10, I've never been a Democrap or a Repulican't.  This year, I'll cast a vote for Biden, while vomiting into my mouth a bit, then go take a shower on the inside.

There isn't much of a political party for the likes of me, as I have yet to see a "Strange Women Lying In Ponds Distributing Swords 2020" option.  Though ironically some time ago while driving home from work, (back in mid January (that long already, sheesh!) I did see a bumper sticker that said 'Giant Meteor Strike 2020'.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 2

An asteroid or a giant meteor would be too simple.  I don't think we've earned any simplicity.  We've earned interesting times and we're gonna get that.

Thanks for corroborating the memory of the lion.  "God provided," huh?  What an asteroid of a cop-out! :D 

Please check your bible, it would be even cooler if you still had the same one you had in your sunday school days.  It's wolf now.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Taomeow said:

An asteroid or a giant meteor would be too simple.  I don't think we've earned any simplicity.  We've earned interesting times and we're gonna get that.

To misquote Cavafy, "Now what's going to happen to us without an asteroid? That asteroid was a kind of solution."

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, SirPalomides said:

To misquote Cavafy, "Now what's going to happen to us without an asteroid? That asteroid was a kind of solution."

My thought exactly.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Thanks for corroborating the memory of the lion.  "God provided," huh?  What an asteroid of a cop-out! :D 

Yea, it was always that way in Sunday School, no wonder politicians are usually professing religion... both system's leaders tend to share similar evasiveness in regards to direct answers to direct questions... 

and I agree, we have earned our interesting times and here they are...

3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

Please check your bible, it would be even cooler if you still had the same one you had in your sunday school days.  It's wolf now.

I no longer own a bible.  My Father never owned one, but my Sister probably still has my Mother's from back then... I'll ask her next time we talk.

• Like 1

On 25/08/2020 at 9:07 AM, Taomeow said:

Sounds nice, but I'm not sure it's got anything to do with my question. 

You asked me which scenario is more plausible . For  me , the one I outlined is the most plausible .

I meant the rest of humanity, not you personally.

Ohhh .... right . I suppose I will be selfishly ignoring the rest of humanity,  as usual . Thats why I established myself and situation the way I did in the past ... to avoid all this present nonsense .

You described the joy of being you, and I am sincerely happy for you.  Hope you realize though that your personal circumstances anticipated for the duration of spring down under is not what I was questioning.  I was questioning some people's (let's not name any names) delusional and/or toxic positivity, with its cultish following and with many of its followers embracing this mentality as a socially acceptable, nay encouraged, form of narcissism.

Well, that IS questionable .  Also questionable  is the  toxic negativity  of the  undercurrent death wish  that seems to want  to make any passing mote of cosmic debris  a  potential world shattering event .

I know very little about asteroids and have never counted on one to solve any of humanity's problems.  I know a bit more about some other dangers.  But since you're exempt from those, I can only reiterate that I'm happy for you. 

I am glad that my chosen life style gives happiness to others !       :) 

Oh, and about those animals in the bible -- I just wanted to find out if you remember the lion.  If you don't, you don't.  If you do, I wonder if a sense of wonder ever visited you in conjunction with that animal.  Is all.  

I remember the lion from the Bible . I also remember the wolf and the lamb from the Bible . . However I DO NOT remember  'the lamb shall lie down with the lion'  BEING SUBSTITUTED WITH 'the lion shall lie down with the lamb ' in some type of revisionary process or even as ' a glitch in the false memory of accidental amnesiacs -- which some of them, in their denial, call the Mandela effect" .

Isiah 65 - 25

But then again, perhaps what I remember has been effected by 'Mandela ' , as apparently it  'got changed '  ?

Let's see ......

" there are no biblical passages that refer to the lamb and the lion lying down together. That is a very common misunderstanding. "

Isaiah 11:6 Has Not Changed

Every historical document that refers to Isaiah 11:6 does not say, “the lion will lie down with the lamb.” They do not refer to the lion and the lamb. They say that the “wolf and the lamb shall graze together.” What follows are six historical examples of information that demonstrate Isaiah 11:6 has never read “the lion will lie down with the lamb.” They always refer to the wolf and the lamb.

The Hebrew Bible — The Tanakh

The first example of Isaiah 11:6 comes from the Hebrew Bible. It is identical to our English Bibles.

And the wolf will dwell with the lamb, And the leopard will lie down with the young goat, And the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; And a little boy will lead them. Isaiah 11:6 (The Tanakh)[1]

The Hebrew word that is translated as “wolf” is zeeb. It occurs seven times in the Hebrew Bible or the Old Testament (Genesis 49:27; Isaiah 11:6; 65:25; Jeremiah 5:6; Ezekiel 22:27; Habakkuk 1:8; Zephaniah 3:3). Every time it is translated as wolf because that is the meaning of the Hebrew word. It is never translated as lion. Therefore, Isaiah 11:6 does not refer to the lion and the lamb.

1611 King James Bible

The second important example is the 1611 King James Bible. It should be noted that Isaiah 11:6 in the 1611 King James Version Bible reads the same as it does in modern Bibles. Here is Isaiah 11:6 in the 1611 KJV:

The wolfe also shall dwell with the lambe, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid and the calfe and the yong lion, and the fatling together, and a little child shall lead them. 1611 King James Bible[2]

This reveals that Isaiah 11:6 has not changed since the 1611 King James Version Bible was printed.

Early Church Fathers (A.D. 349-407)

A review of the writings of the early church reveals that John Chrysostom paraphrases Isaiah 11:6 in his commentary on the “The Gospel of Matthew.” It is important to note that Chrysostom lived about A.D. 349 – 407. Here is his paraphrase of a portion of Isaiah 11:6,

Then wolves and lambs shall feed together . . .[3]

Saint Ambrose (A.D. 340 – 397) also refers to the wolves and lambs feeding together.[4] The article Did Isaiah 11:6 once say the lion shall lie down with the lamb? contains a more complete listing of the writings of the early church fathers that quote Isaiah 11:6. Each of the quotes contain the phrase “wolf and lamb.”

The Pseudepigrapha (A.D. 2nd – 7th Century)

The Sibylline Oracles (A.D. 2nd-7th century), which is part of the Pseudepigrapha, rewords and plagiarizes the verse without giving credit to the original source of Isaiah 11:6.

Wolves and lambs will eat grass together in the mountain. Leopards will feed together with the kids.[5]

Dead Sea Scrolls (circa 125 B.C.)

The scroll 1QIsa (~ 125 B.C.) in the Dead Scrolls also contains the book of Isaiah and Isaiah 11:6 states that the wolf and lamb will be together and not a lion and lamb.[6]

The Septuagint (3rd to 2nd Century B.C.)

The Septuagint (third to second century B.C.), which is the Greek version of the Hebrew Bible contains Isaiah 11:6. The following is a translation of the Greek text,

And the wolf shall feed with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid . . .[7]

Therefore, this means that Isaiah 11:6 has not changed since at least 270 B.C.  The reader is also encouraged to visit, “Did Isaiah 11:6 once say the lion shall lie down with the lamb?”

There are those who think there is a Bible verse that says, “God helps those who help themselves.” But it does not exist in the Bible and there is no verse that says the lamb and lion will lie down together. Yet, since peace will exist throughout the millennial kingdom it will be true that all the animals will be at peace with one another. What is truly amazing about this passage is that a little boy will lead them. Now that is amazing. "

https://www.neverthirsty.org/bible-qa/qa-archives/question/where-in-the-bible-does-it-say-that-the-lion-will-lie-down-with-the-lamb/

yes I do get a sense that a lion is wonderful creature .

Edited by Nungali

20 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I remember Lion.  KJ version at least in the 70's and 80's when I was deep in the 'preacher in training' school, it was lion.  Haven't looked at a bible in a long while.  Not since Cern anyway... another Mandela Effect I guess, I'll add it to the pile.

You remember lion  ?

But what do you remember lion doing  ?   Is the Mandela effect within your own memory , is it wrongly remembering something and then when its shown to be not correct, one assumes that reality changed while one's memory is infallible ?   ;)

I used that to question my sunday school teachers...

"So in the ark... did the lions lay with the lambs or eat them?  What did they eat?  Did they bring extra lambs for the lions... cuz two wouldn't last 40 days..."  I usually got the non-answer 'God provided'... heh... Fun times. 

I think the question of , if you can lay with and eat someone at the same time  is NOT suitable to pose to a Sunday School teacher .

Speaking of fun times... 2020 seems to wholly embody that old chinese curse.

"May you live in interesting times."

.  Though ironically some time ago while driving home from work, (back in mid January (that long already, sheesh!) I did see a bumper sticker that said 'Giant Meteor Strike 2020'.

That's correct , giant  meteors will be going on strike in 20 20 ... we won't be seeing one of them , until they get better conditions .

Edited by Nungali

5 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Yea, it was always that way in Sunday School, no wonder politicians are usually professing religion... both system's leaders tend to share similar evasiveness in regards to direct answers to direct questions... 

and I agree, we have earned our interesting times and here they are...

I no longer own a bible.  My Father never owned one, but my Sister probably still has my Mother's from back then... I'll ask her next time we talk.

What will you ask her ?

1.  ST:  " Do you remember the Bible used to say 'the lion laid down with the lamb ?   " and if she says yes , "Well, look at it now ! "

Sister : <opens Bible >  " MY Goodness it says  wolf and lamb , when did that get changed ? "

ST ; " During the Mandela Conspiracy ."

OR

2. ST ;  "  Look in that old Bible and tell me what  it says about lions, lambs and wolves ."

OR 

3. ST;   " Do you remember the Bible used to say 'the lion laid down with the lamb ? "

Sister ; ' No ,   I always thought it was wolf . "

ST; "Aha!    No, it used to be  lamb lying down with wolf , "

Sister ; " Well, I am checking Mum's  old Bible  and it doesnt say that , where did you get this from ?"

ST; " Errrmmmm .... someone in the internet ."

Sister ;    "     :D     " 

@Nungali

"Toxic negativity" is not controversial, but I will resist the temptation to address this observation to Captain Obvious.

My first acquaintance with the bible took place in a country into which, at the time, it had to be smuggled.  So there's two reasons I was reasonably sure that I was paying attention to what I was reading.  One: it was the forbidden fruit, and trust me, you savor every bite when you're gobbling up one of those.  (I pity folks who grew up without forbidden books in their life -- no not the fucking Playboy --- books you only got if someone trusted you with a lot more than not to get them in trouble with mom and dad.  Trusted you with their everything. Folks who didn't have that in their life just don't know what kind of human experience they've missed out on.)  Two: I was still young enough to retain my eidetic memory, a curse in disguise since I still remember by heart miles of printed material I'd rather forget.  By the time the wolf appeared, that indelible "the lion shall lie with the lamb" was quite irrelevant yet there's no way I could mix up that paragraph.   Besides, I read it in Russian, so all your references are sort of beside the point.

You never got around to finding out what it is people (just people, not self-appointed sentinels at the gates of plausibility) are talking about when they mention "the Mandela effect," did you?  If you did, you would know that it is impossible to disprove with references.  That's one of the things that set it apart from any other cognitive glitch, such as an honest or dishonest mistake.  Falsifiability, the golden standard of our "scientific method," does not apply in this case, anymore than you can apply it to the Big Bang.  If you want to prove it's nonsense, you would have to find some other method.  Me, I'm still looking.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Nungali said:

What will you ask her ?

1.  ST:  " Do you remember the Bible used to say 'the lion laid down with the lamb ?   " and if she says yes , "Well, look at it now ! "

Sister : <opens Bible >  " MY Goodness it says  wolf and lamb , when did that get changed ? "

ST ; " During the Mandela Conspiracy ."

OR

2. ST ;  "  Look in that old Bible and tell me what  it says about lions, lambs and wolves ."

OR 

3. ST;   " Do you remember the Bible used to say 'the lion laid down with the lamb ? "

Sister ; ' No ,   I always thought it was wolf . "

ST; "Aha!    No, it used to be  lamb lying down with wolf , "

Sister ; " Well, I am checking Mum's  old Bible  and it doesnt say that , where did you get this from ?"

ST; " Errrmmmm .... someone in the internet ."

Sister ;    "     :D     " 

Hey bud.

Nope.

I'll ask her to get Mom's bible and read me the verse from it.

17 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Hey bud.

Nope.

I'll ask her to get Mom's bible and read me the verse from it.

Nope .

Apparently it has to come from her or your memory . or it doesnt count .   :D

And it has to be in Russian  ;)

AND ... apparently ,  her  memory has to be SOOOOO infallible   that any lapse  or mistake in memory is not seen as that, but rather , more probably , that someone switched universes on her , or there is some huge conspiracy underfoot  to change every Bible in existence ( to substitute  lion with wolf  )   for reasons , I am sure , must have  great global significance .

:rolleyes:

Edited by Nungali
  • Confused 1

It's not about any one person's memory, whether idiosyncratically poor, failing, or just inaccurate due to inattention. It's about a social pattern of large, in some cases international groups of people "misremembering" exactly the same thing while remembering an exactly the same different thing.   Normally, different people misremember different things, I'm sure your memory lapses don't overlap with mine. 

But when native English speakers in large groups stumble across the same wolf which, in the context of its encounter with the lamb, lives in every single Russian's memory as a protagonist of, not the bible but the single most famous fable everybody learned by heart in school, "The Wolf and the Lamb," by Ivan Krylov, the most celebrated 19th century fabulist whose lines are the single most famous source of proverbial sayings, this particular fable having been turned into idioms every single Russian will recognize, 

things start to appear a bit interesting.  

Your chronic mocking tone as though talking to your intellectual inferiors is duly noted once more, by the way.  I hope you will reconsider your delivery style or I'll have to bail out on reading any of your comments, and not just in this thread.  Up to you of course.

• Thanks 1

If you can show me proof other than your say so or memory that  the line was  a lamb laying down with a lion and NOT a wolf  then I shall gladly eat my hat .

Looking at the info I supplied above , its rather obvious that   the lion is mentioned later .  And also when asking someone if they remember it being a lion and not a wolf , they are likely to remember , if they ever read it , that 'yeah, I remember something about a lion' .

Aside from that, I think I AM in agreement with you as, you mentioned (if I am not mistaken )  with some amount of disdain , the meek shall inherit the earth .  Well, to me, that has been the hugest amount of BS the system ever put out , akin to the 'just accept hardship unfairness and oppression now as in the afterlife you will get justice and reward '.   To me these things are more worth focusing on and exposing than  whether someone removed a lion and put in a wolf and then changed the Bible back through history . I dont see how that would accomplishes anything , or shore up the systems propaganda ? 

I resubmit that you still don't know what people are talking about when they are talking about the Mandela effect.  It is not a conspiracy.  It is a mystery.  It has to do with how Time works, and with the possibility of the existence of phenomena, whether wild (not likely in this case) or technologically engendered, that can interfere with its workings.  No one makes any claims as to this hypothetical technology having been used on purpose toward editing a "timeline" nor can assert that changes occurred as a side effect of using it for an entirely different purpose.  

No one replaced any bibles manually.  No one sneaked into my cupboard to replace my bottle of Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar (a preferred brand bought for 25 years and looked for, and then at, at least once a week, to a total of at least 1300 occasions to see it) with Bragg (no 's) it is today.  The company changed the name?  Thousands in my shoes went to the company to ask.  The company said, nope.  Never.  Has always been Bragg.  You want proof?  People find what has become known as "residue,"  "pre-effect" artifacts that somehow survived -- e.g. biblically inspired artwork of the lion lying with the lamb, or an apple cider aficionado's Bragg's T shirt from her hippie years, or a Ford loyalist's tattoo of the Ford logo that Mandela-affected folks remember and that does not exist in this-here reality.  None of which will be accepted as proof by the unaffected -- nor even by the critically inclined among the affected.  I for one wouldn't accept it.  Like I said before, it's nothing you can prove by any methods available, and how it can be proved by methods not available to me or you or anyone who's not in the loop, or even to anyone in the loop, I don't know.

Unless it happens to you, there can be no proof.  You're stuck with either respecting the possibility that it happened to some because they say so, or not.  I suspect I know what you will choose, and I can't blame you.  I would too, given a choice.  But that damn vinegar!  And the rest of it!  Not someone else's -- mine.  Mystery which I would file under "mistake" if it wasn't replicated for so many and in such an uncanny, improbable way.

As for the meek, yes, we're in agreement.  The meek won't inherit the earth.  At least not for a while.

My first 'out of timeline' memory encounter was Mandela's death, reported on the radio, years before him being released from prison.

It stood out because of the emotion it brought out.  I clearly recall his death in prison being announced by George Noory during the news segment while he was substituting as host for Art Bell on Coast to Coast AM one night.  It stuck out because it was surprisingly emotional for me, as I'd always had a bit of hero worship of him since studying him years earlier.  I was shocked and sad and pissed off that this man, after everything he'd faced, died in prison.

It impacted me deeply.  I carried the sadness for a while.

It passed and I let it go, but years later, the memory came back in shock and confusion when the news announced and celebrated that Nelson Mandela was finally being released from prison! 

Me... :huh: "Um released from prison... the fuck?  He's been dead for yeeeears

Not in this life it seems... just in my vivid memory.  I was elated when it was confirmed.  This really drove it into vivid memory.

I chocked up the first story to bad reporting and that someone didn't vet the story properly.  But then, on open lines, hundreds of folks started mentioning the same thing, each of them recalled George, or some other news outlet, announcing Mandela's death years prior.

My second seeming 'memory of another timeline' experience was much more personal and utterly undeniable and this one really opened the Rabbit Hole as it involved a vivid memory of a sweet moment with my Mom.

Berenstein Bears.  It's stein.  or it was stein... Vividly.  No doubt (which says a lot for me these daze).  I have no interest in proving this to anyone *cough* @Nungali  I'm simply sharing what for me is a clear strange experience.

This one could not be chocked up to bad sourcing of some news segment... this is a deep and very intimate personal vivid memory of  Me and my Mom... at story time.   It stood out in two ways as time with Mom was a real rarity back then, as she was working two jobs and i was a wee lad, who was often put to bed by my older sister before Mom got home... 

So it stood out for that, but also because it involved a new strange word.   And from as far back as I can remember, I've been obsessed with words... the stranger the better...  I've been a word whore since I was walking... obsessing over learning new words, what they meant and especially if they could mean two things at once.  Before kindergarten I was reading all the road signs on the Freeway and some news over Mom's shoulder.  By sixth grade I was reading at a collegiate level, (everyone expected me to follow the three other geniuses in our family to greatness, ha!).  I've always had a photographic memory for words in particular and so it came very easy.  I could always spell like a mofo because after seeing a word, I could simply envision a word, and then spell it. 

I also had a penchant for over-pronouncing words to extremes, particularly as a kid, but also later as a professional actor.  It was signature move for my characters to have a few phrases or words that are intentionally over pronounced or slightly mispronounced to great effect.  Both of these come into play with my memory of another timeline in this instance...

I looked at Berenstein and the 'ein' stood out. 

I pounced on the word and asked Mom how to pronounce Berenstein... and she said "it's like Frankenstein" and that was it, it had stuck... I don't have any recall of the stories themselves, but that moment is ingrained because of the 'oddity and the closeness of it'.  It was one of the first Germanic words/names I encountered and I got off on it, it stands out further because I then started marching and stomping around the house chanting  "Berenstein Frankenstein! Berenstein Frankenstein!..." and my Mother and Sister were eventually howling with laughter at my antics over this simple word with a new ending...

As for proof... no one owes you proof Nunners.  You clearly haven't had this experience.  Bully for you.

We're just having a conversation here... no one is up for a Nobel Prize... if it's so repugnant to you, why are you conversing about it?

Does it bother you that we have these odd experiences?

• Thanks 1

Thank you, @silent thunder .  What a heartwarming childhood memory.

Like you, I was a spelling savant -- I am capable of misspelling a word in English but not in Russian, which I taught myself to read at the age of 3, having spent about 10 minutes on figuring out how, just because something was not right with the rhythm of a children's poem about a horse my dad was reading to me.  I expressed doubt that he's reading the correct line.  He got annoyed, put down the book and said, if you don't think I'm reading it right, read it yourself.  And left.  Ten minutes later, I got it figured out, no big deal.  (Wish I could do crazy shit like that now...  but now I'm a mortal again.  For now.)  This early acquisition breeds kinesthetic spellers.  For a kinesthetic speller, how a word is written is a muscle memory, not a memory in the head -- and misspelling a word in my native tongue is as impossible for me as, e.g., taking the kitchen knife to cut some tomatoes for the salad and stabbing myself in the stomach instead just because I can't tell the difference. 

So of course I trust your Berenstein memory.  For me it's not one of "my" ME, I never read it.  And Mandela himself is not a prominent enough memory for me either.  But I have enough of the shared ones and a few personal ones...  e.g. a friend of mine had a memory of something that happened to me (something major and not just a one time event but a whole series of events, with many details, that would take months or even years to unfold) which actually never happened.  At first I thought she was joking, then I thought she got me mixed up with someone else to whom all those things happened.  She was adamant it did happen to me -- not a doubt in her mind, there was no convincing her otherwise!  She insisted, moreover, that she remembered in great detail many discussions she had with me about it -- which of course never happened either because that thing she asserted we discussed never happened.  It was long before any ME talk, so I started suspecting that it was something along those lines only much later, only in hindsight.  And my friend was not only far from nuts, she's actually a psychiatrist and a professor of psychiatry.  At the time she was telling me that incredible fable about MY life, she scared me into thinking psychiatric disorders might be contagious and she contracted amnestic confabulatory disorder from one of her patients.  But now I think the explanation can only be way farther out than that.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Memory is a fascinating study  -  thanks for the stories .

I suppose we will just have to wait and see if, in the future,  people remember an asteroid hitting the earth on election day .