Sign in to follow this  
CuriousMonkey

Curious person has some questions

I'm not a Daoist, but I'm interested in it. I don't know much about Daoism, so I have some questions regarding it and it's practises. I hope it's ok for me to ask them.

Question 1: Can anyone become a Daoist? I heard somewhere that you have to be part of a certain bloodlines to become one, is that true?

Question 2: How does one become a Daoist? Do you need to join a certain group or organization to become one? Do you need to study and practise Daoism from childhood, or can you also become one during adulthood? Do you need to make a pact/contract, pay respect or worship certain spirits and gods? Or do you need to buy a license for 50 bucks online(just a joke)?

Question 3: Regarding Daoist magic, how does it work(and is it real)? Is the magic just a little luck boost(give more positive energie in you life)? Or is it Harry Potter/Lord of the rings/Dungeon and Dragon type of magic(shooting fireballs and other "flashy" stuff)? Or is it both? Can you do it whenever you want to, or do you need to use a specific talisman, or say a specific mantra to use the magic?

Question 4: Do you HAVE to be part of an organization to become a Daoist?

Question 5(This is the one I'm most interested in): Is there anyone that made contact with a spirit/demon? Did you make contact on purpose, or was it just a coincidence? What was the experience like? Do those beings even care about us?

Question 6: What would you say what the biggest differences are between real Daoism and what is portrayed in pop culture(movies, tv show, video games, etc)?

You don't need to answer all of these questions, just the ones you can and want to. Thank you guys in advance

the answers to all of your questions are found on this forum. Look around, do a little digging; happy hunting!

As I have not seen anyone more qualified answering questions specifically, I will take a crack at what I can. Mind you, I am not trained in any lineage, nor am I specifically Daoist, so surely there are others more willing and happy to answer you better than I! 

On 8/20/2020 at 1:28 PM, CuriousMonkey said:

Question 3: Regarding Daoist magic, how does it work(and is it real)? Is the magic just a little luck boost(give more positive energie in you life)? Or is it Harry Potter/Lord of the rings/Dungeon and Dragon type of magic(shooting fireballs and other "flashy" stuff)? Or is it both? Can you do it whenever you want to, or do you need to use a specific talisman, or say a specific mantra to use the magic?

I cannot answer specifically on the Daoist aspect, but magic in general works. It can be a general luck boost, or it can be a method of filtering the fates to make things go your way. I have experience with controlling the weather with simple mental commands, but I also know people will perform whole rituals to do the same thing. I can use it basically anywhere, anytime, though I often prefer to not use it at all; it's a waste of energy, really. I know of those that *can* throw fireballs and other flashy things via magic, but generally, those folk are trading a lot of time, effort, and energy for very little returns. Such practices can even shorten lifespans. 

Question 5(This is the one I'm most interested in): Is there anyone that made contact with a spirit/demon? Did you make contact on purpose, or was it just a coincidence? What was the experience like? Do those beings even care about us?

Quite a few, really. Once you reach a certain level of ability, you'll usually come across them naturally. I've come across elves, demons, elementals, and archangels, to name only a few "types". Such beings are rather diverse. Some like us, some hate us, and some don't really care either way. Most of the ones I've come across have either been by chance or because they approached me themselves. All of the critters I've come across other than the elf were ones that could not be discerned with the naked eye; even the elf was only a mobile shadow in physical vision. I generally have to use a form of mental vision to see them, and it is usually not very clear. I know of people who can see them overlayed in their physical vision, but I am not one of them. Most of the ones that make contact with me are either curious about me, want a deal of some sort, or want to attack. The ones that attack are rather rare, and if you have any mental power, you'll be able to shoo them away with ease (in most cases). Much of these critters can be kept out with simple area barriers, which honestly, is generally a good practice to keep going. 

Question 6: What would you say what the biggest differences are between real Daoism and what is portrayed in pop culture(movies, tv show, video games, etc)?

I am not a Daoist officially, nor am I part of a specific lineage, so take my opinion here with a grain of salt. In my experience, the very idea of an "evil master" is delusional. As one progresses along any path to spiritual power, they begin to naturally gain compassion. It's not a matter of whether those who are "evil" can gain power, rather, it's a matter of those that humans view as evil will grow as beings until they are no longer something to hurt others. Likewise, certain powers will burn those without compassion. Good and evil are *entirely* delusional concepts to begin with, and something unique to human language. You will not find the kind of conflicts that are in novels in real life. 

• Like 1

On 20/08/2020 at 6:28 PM, CuriousMonkey said:

I'm not a Daoist, but I'm interested in it. I don't know much about Daoism, so I have some questions regarding it and it's practises. I hope it's ok for me to ask them.

Question 1: Can anyone become a Daoist? I heard somewhere that you have to be part of a certain bloodlines to become one, is that true?

Question 2: How does one become a Daoist? Do you need to join a certain group or organization to become one? Do you need to study and practise Daoism from childhood, or can you also become one during adulthood? Do you need to make a pact/contract, pay respect or worship certain spirits and gods? Or do you need to buy a license for 50 bucks online(just a joke)?

You don't need to answer all of these questions, just the ones you can and want to. Thank you guys in advance

Hey, good questions. I'll answer the best I can :)

1. This depends on what you mean by "Daoist". One can identify as Daoist simply by reading the Daodejing and trying to apply it to life. Just like there are levels in which people are "Christian", from those that just read some bible before bed, to priests and monks. Same same.

2. If you are looking to be initiated into something, you are looking at finding a temple that will take you but there are some that are quite open these days if you show you are capable and willing. What is it you are looking for? Because full temple life is not quite for me, but my school is a martial arts school. That doesn't make me any less "Daoist", it just has me where I need to be at my current stage of cultivation.

3. I don't know, and I personally don't believe in most of it. Until anyone show me otherwise, I see this or any sort of divination outside of ancestor worship a deviation from the Dao. You'll see a mix up with other eliments of Chinese culture these days, so rituals for wealth etc. but I don't care for all that. 95% of what you'll see will be a scam or superstition.

Blessings and exorcisms are very real, speaking from experience, but without getting to technical, that's not all supernatural haha. More on that later.

4. No. That's because the real result is what happens inside YOU. True Daoists do not care for labels, and if you do find an organisation, that just makes you a part of an organisation. However, that could well be more beneficial to you to help you cultivate.

5. Yes, and it's a pain in the arse. It was a bit of both, I was curious like you...seek and you shall find. In the end, it's they who get you and it's quite overwhelming. Although, the nice ones are great, the whole thing is pretty tiring if you don't know what you're doing (which I didn't and still don't really, although I've learned along the way so at least all is calm now) Do they care about us? Hm, long story short is yes unless you leave them alone, which is what I advise!

6. It isn't as exciting. I don't know which media you're talking about in particular, but if it's fire out of the hands or dudes with long white beards kicking the hell out of 100 men, then yeah, not that. But if you want to feel qi, be in good health, feel connected to the heavens or to be able to at least be able to kick above head height as an 80 year old, it might be a good path for you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Taoism is probably one of the most diverse and decentralized system.   People may follow one or more of the following streams.   People engage in one area may not know much about another area.

Philosophical: study Yi Jing, Dao De Jing, pursue a Tao way of life

Religious:  just like other religions, deities, gods

Magical:  rituals, ceremonies, exorcism, spells, talisman

Immortality: What this forum is mainly about, internal works

Others: Fortune telling, Chinese medicine, some martial arts like Taichi

Ordinary: visit temples, worship ancestors and so on

This forum seems mainly touch on philosophical, immortality.  So Q1/2, anyone can claim to be a Taoist. Q3 Taoist magic is more ritual magic.  Q4, many Taoist Sifu works alone and not attached to any organization.

Q5, the most interested question.  The ZhengYi Path (one of the two major Taoist Paths) deals with ghosts and demon frequently, like inviting deities into their bodies, a very close touch.  Q6 Taoist on TV/movies are mostly a much exaggerated and fantasized version of ZhengYi, simply because things like meditation or philosophy are totally boring.

• Like 1

On 8/20/2020 at 12:28 PM, CuriousMonkey said:

1. Daoism refers to the Dao...."The Way".....this is a concept that refers to something greater than anything that can be fit under a organization or clan. Alan Watts has a good 1-2 hr piece on the topic called The Taoist Way. Worth listening. 

2. Were all part of the Dao...but if your interested in particular sects within the Daoism....don't know any....i feel it's probably better to just study the Dao itself....Westerners are not always welcome. When it comes to chi kung masters who reside in the West, i know of several. 

3. Never studied Daoist magic. Each culture usually has it's own particular systems.  Dr. Jerry Alan Johnson has several texts on this and Benebell Wen also wrote a bit on this topic (both available freely). 

4. Refer to previous answers. There are various Taoist Sects.....but the concept of the Way goes beyond borders. 

5. No comment 

6. Pop culture always gets it wrong 

9 minutes ago, RiverSnake said:

6. Pop culture always gets it everything wrong 

Fixed that for you :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks for answering my questions guys. I know have a better picture of what Daoism really is about. I think I will look further in the ZhengYi Path.

Thanks for everything

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CuriousMonkey said:

On 22-8-2020 at 10:46 AM, Paradoxal said:

If I may ask, HOW does one make contact with spirits/elves/demons/ghost? Or if you think it's better for me to stay out of it, I will take the warning. (you don't have to tell me here. You can give me a link the a post on this forum or a different site).

The reason why is because I can than contact a whole different world. Doesn't have to be big. With just seeing a small little elf the size of my thumb I would be more than satisfied.

2 hours ago, CuriousMonkey said:

If I may ask, HOW does one make contact with spirits/elves/demons/ghost? Or if you think it's better for me to stay out of it, I will take the warning. (you don't have to tell me here. You can give me a link the a post on this forum or a different site).

The ones I've made contact with found me, rather than me seeking them out. I would say that the easiest way to make contact is to broadcast a massive amount of energy, though, doing so is basically screaming "HEY GUYS, COME EAT ME!". I wouldn't suggest seeking them out until you have a spiritual baseline and a strengthened intuition, at the very least. The biggest thing to keep in mind is that such entities often have self awareness and should be treated as such. 

On top of that, at least in my experience, you will not see them visually, rather, you'll be aware of a presence and will switch to mentally viewing the room. Thus, if you are not aware enough, it's likely that you'll miss anything happening. The folks I live with basically never notice the entities that roam around, as they are not aware enough to do so.

If that is the side you are looking for, you'll get faster results going through the magic side of things, but I do not recommend that route. It is far less safe and fulfilling than going a route like Buddhism or Daoism. 

This is a topic that I personally found confusing. it seems in general westerners think that Taoism one thing and Asians think it is another. In the end it was the lack of clarity that caused me to move on to Buddhism. 

In general most westerners are more interested in the internal spiritual cultivation aspects, and again being very general most Asians are more interested in the ritualistic religion side of it.

A while back I began doing Qigong and just assumed that made me a Taoist lol. When I first began to consider myself a Taoist I assumed that everything I had done previously in my charismatic Evangelical Christian cult was all poo poo but as time has gone by and I reflect on the hours spent in silent prayer and contemplative Bible study I can recognize the cultivation that took place within me back then as well even though I wouldn't recommend it due to its ironic lack of compassion in spite of what Jesus taught and relative lack of wisdom in that it doesn't consider anything outside of its paradigm legitimate, yet I can look back and still recognize that cultivation did take place. I saw some pretty amazing things happen that at the time I saw her miracles but now I just see as a result of my internal cultivation efforts.

But my general advice is if you like guidelines and structure that was a bit ambiguous but if you enjoy bracing the chaos then it's probably a good fit.

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this