zerostao

Domestic cats

Felis catus 

Curious little creatures, did a bit of checking to find they're also a little mysterious. 

Finally space created on TDB to share and explore all things concerning cats.

Post pics, share stories, perhaps even apech will make an appearance. 

• Thanks 1

My cat, who for 11 years was almost entirely an indoor cat by choice (he was always allowed to go outside but preferred not to, and if he did, he stayed within reach of "come kitty kitty" and ran home the moment he was called), left us a month ago toward a fate unknown, also by choice.  It all started with his finding a girlfriend.  He was never fixed, and other female cats tried something with him on prior occasions but none succeeded, he was also celibate by choice.  But this time it was different.  A female cat summoned him, he went to explore, and she stole his heart.  He lost virginity right before his 11th birthday, which was July 4th, and started staying out overnight on occasion.  Then he disappeared for five days.  We posted his pictures everywhere, a neighbor called and said that her security camera filmed him, just walking by.  That neighbor lives very close, so if Haomao wanted to go home, he would, he wasn't lost.  He was just exploring a different lifestyle, apparently.  After five days, he came back and, as has always been his way, knocked on the door as though nothing happened -- he never meowed to be let in, he knocked, very politely, with a front paw.  He came back in the morning, hungry and all purry and lovey-dovey.  Then he left for the night again.  And in a couple of days, again.  He started meowing on the threshold before leaving, asking me something or informing me of something, not going, not coming in, just standing in front of the open door and meowing, then finally turning around and going away.  Always reluctantly, looking back many times, as though something pulled him against his will.

But that last time he left, it was a decisive move.  He rushed out as though a decision has been made.  I haven't seen him since. 

image.thumb.png.d27ada3c0c61b663586694ddc92e8b24.png

Image may contain: people sitting, cat and indoor

No photo description available.

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 6

My indoor cat went missing for a month and it was a nightmarish experience for me (and I'm pretty sure for her as well). It was in March with lots of snow. She was an elderly cat, a rescue, missing most of her teeth and half-deaf, so I was not confident in her hunting skills. I bought about 10 humane traps and set them up all around the woods. I checked them at least twice a day, which made for a fairly arduous hike. I caught  (and released) more raccoons, possums, and other people's cats than I've ever seen in my life. When I finally caught her she was very thin but otherwise alright, considering. Not an experience I would wish on anyone.

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, SirPalomides said:

My indoor cat went missing for a month and it was a nightmarish experience for me (and I'm pretty sure for her as well). It was in March with lots of snow. She was an elderly cat, a rescue, missing most of her teeth and half-deaf, so I was not confident in her hunting skills. I bought about 10 humane traps and set them up all around the woods. I checked them at least twice a day, which made for a fairly arduous hike. I caught  (and released) more raccoons, possums, and other people's cats than I've ever seen in my life. When I finally caught her she was very thin but otherwise alright, considering. Not an experience I would wish on anyone.

I can imagine.  Good thing you were able to retrieve her.  

It's Southern California in summer, Haomao is healthy and strong and has all his teeth in pristine condition -- no experience hunting at all though...  but there's neighborhoods where groups of feral cats live together, and people who leave food and water for them outside their homes...   Frankly  I don't know what to do, because Haomao is not going to put up with being caught if he doesn't want to put up with it.  He's not one of those cats who obey or else don't care to resist whatever humans decide for them.  All his life (he was born under my bed and the mother dumped him into my bed the next morning -- "this one is yours, I can handle all the others but you take on this one") I trusted him to use his own mind and his own reason to stay out of trouble, but I could never enforce anything. 

And what happens with a cat of this disposition if his will is overruled by humans I had a chance to find out because it happened to his brother from the same litter.  For the first three years they used to get along, but only because Haomao allowed the smaller brother, Melky, to dominate him. (Melky is the Russian for "smallish" or "puny," that cat was the runt with a Napoleon complex.  Haomao is the Chinese for "good cat," as you probably know better than me.)  After three years of this arrangement, Haomao suddenly changed his mind and decided to disallow it.  Melky responded by immediately attacking him, Haomao counterattacked without holding back (and he's bigger and stronger), and so it began.  Neither one would back down.  After a nonstop series of the most brutal cat fights in my living-room the likes of which I hadn't seen either in real life or on youtube (they wouldn't stop even if you poured a bucket of cold water on top of them, and trying to pull them apart could cost you an arm), I separated them for two weeks, and the moment I let Melky out of his exile, the fighting resumed exactly where they left off two weeks before.  So I had to give Melky to a friend.  It's been years, the friend spoils him rotten (that cat has a better diet than most Americans, the friend is a devout foodie and wealthy and extends this approach to the cat), but Melky is now just a feral cat living indoors, resenting everyone and barely allowing anyone to even be in the same room with him.  My friend can maybe touch him with one finger under the chin once a month, and if he tries anything more the claws come out and he gets swiped at.  And when I come to visit, Melky hisses, runs and hides -- even though for three years he pretty much lived on my lap.  And he's unhappy...  My friend doesn't let him go out because he's convinced that the cat will run away immediately and all kinds of horrible things will happen to him.  Cats are so not easy to deal with sometimes...

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 2

Yeah, my elderly, toothless cat was never grumpy- never in the years I had her did she ever hiss or swipe at me. She swatted the puppy exactly once when they first met and that was it. She was the friendliest cat I had ever met- anyone who visited would get rubs and she might jump on their lap. She always slept with us, all night- most cats I've had might occasionally jump into the bed but never so reliably. I miss her.

As for hunting instincts, I used to think experience and teaching was important but when I was raising two kittens I was very surprised when a mouse got in the house. They caught the thing in a manner of seconds- maybe five seconds tops- as soon as they saw it. They had never been outside before or seen a mouse in their life, but they moved with such speed and precision. The mouse was moving between bookshelves and other furniture too, so there was lots of space for hiding. As I pitied the mouse, I took it from them to bring it outside- it jumped out of my hands and ran back behind the bookshelves. Again they caught it quickly. Eventually I was able to bring it outside unharmed but now I have immense respect for cats' mousing instincts.

• Like 2

Wow.  Haomao... absolutely stunning!

His eyes! and that subtle gray striation of his coloring and paint... so striking.

He's 'going mountain' in his elder years... and fathering a clan too... how delightful for him!

I imagine he'll always have your connection centering his territory and explorations... and that he'll be keeping tabs on you and checking in regularly.

I've always inquired of my feline teachers and companions, "who painted you?". 

And I've always held and fostered a small boy's desire to become a 'cat painter' in some future incarnation... the one who assists cats in choosing their patterning, and then getting to paint them.

I envision in my mind, a village a bit off one of the roads that runs among The Celestials.  This village houses the artists whom are being trained to assist cats in choosing their designs and then painting them for their next incarnation.  It is my intent to be deemed worthy of admission one day and then become one of the resident artists there...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Taomeow said:

No photo description available.

I absolutely love the white patch on his nose...

it looks to me like a tiny white cat, sitting comfortably on his nose.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Wow.  Haomao... absolutely stunning!

His eyes! and that subtle gray striation of his coloring and paint... so striking.

He's 'going mountain' in his elder years... and fathering a clan too... how delightful for him!

I imagine he'll always have your connection centering his territory and explorations... and that he'll be keeping tabs on you and checking in regularly.

I've always inquired of my feline teachers and companions, "who painted you?". 

And I've always held and fostered a small boy's desire to become a 'cat painter' in some future incarnation... the one who assists cats in choosing their patterning, and then getting to paint them.

I envision in my mind, a village a bit off one of the roads that runs among The Celestials.  This village houses the artists whom are being trained to assist cats in choosing their designs and then painting them for their next incarnation.  It is my intent to be deemed worthy of admission one day and then become one of the resident artists there...

Painting on the stripes.. | Cat art, Cat tattoo, Japanese cat

My first American cat who was with us for 18 years was painted five colors, and I was always fascinated by all the patterns, or rather lack thereof -- there wasn't a single spot on her that had a symmetrical counterpart anywhere else, it was complete chaos and randomness.  I used to study her colors and see landscapes, faces, but mostly cats.  She had many cats painted on her, talk about fractals. :)

2 hours ago, silent thunder said:

I absolutely love the white patch on his nose...

it looks to me like a tiny white cat, sitting comfortably on his nose.

Yes, that's exactly how I've always seen it too.  

• Like 1

sorry to hear about your cat leaving, taomeow, 11 years worth of joy is something. I miss molly Macha, I took his departure as a sign for me to move on as well. And I did. Cats do approach me from time to time, hang out, share adventures. One has not approached my current location, I do expect a feral cat to wander to me my next stop along the way. I look forward to that.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, zerostao said:

Finally space created on TDB to share and explore all things concerning cats.

Post pics, share stories, perhaps even apech will make an appearance. 

I am more of a dog person  and  think cats are for the chasin' .

However. there IS one cat I am rather fond of  .... must be his  personality rather than the species that appeals to me     ; 

Spoiler

I visited my ex  the other week , now in another part of the state ,  she has  a boy  13, twin boys 11 and a girl 4 .  When we  where together just the 3 boys , and that was hectic enough .  Plus the trauma they suffered before I entered the picture. Apparently it became more intense after the girl arrived . 

She said first they got rabbits and their behaviour started  changing after that . Next a huge snake was on the rabbit cage and this big  black male cat  turned up out of the blue,  went ballistic at the snake (from nearby ) , hissing and spitting at it  and drove it off. It was the kids hero so they dumped affection and  reward on the cat. It stuck around and is now part of the household.  

But now she tells me , since they got a cat  they kids are getting on a lot better and considering each other more and looking after each other more - since they have pets to look after . 

• Like 6

@Nungali Since a dog person found it in him to acknowledge a cat, a cat person is reciprocating by acknowledging a dog.

A friend had a very hard time having a child due to her Rh- immune conflict with her Rh+ husband.  She was hell-bent on doing whatever it takes though, and after several tragic attempts managed to give birth to a live boy who was, however, not expected to survive.  The baby underwent several complete blood volume replacement procedures and what-not.  A couple of months in an incubator.  He survived, and turned out to be very intelligent, but it was as though he was charged with a fear of death from the start.  He was afraid of everything.  I don't think he tolerated not having his mom in sight up to the age of 6, he froze in terror if he couldn't see her from the next room, all doors had to be open, he couldn't be alone in the room.  Then -- mom had to work, he had to go to school, and by age 12 his lifestyle was like every other kid's -- home alone after school until parents come home from work.  Except what he did when he had to be home alone for a few hours was -- nothing, he was just sitting on the sofa, being afraid.  Then they took a dog.  A Boxer named Maggie, after the then Prime Minister of England.  A beast of power.  

That dog somehow took the boy's fear away completely.  Within days he began to transform.  Within years he's special forces. :) 

Edited by Taomeow
  • Like 5

Meet 'Fluffy' 

2263436089_e65d18e60d_z.jpg

Thats one big cat ! 

What does your cat look like when you are tripping  ? 

Stage 1

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT6LYXaGdP1SGcqVi5zaGW

Stage  2

flat,750x1000,075,f.u2.jpg

stage  3

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQz7b095aOu6Sz9cdcNDOA

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Nungali said:

Meet 'Fluffy'

2263436089_e65d18e60d_z.jpg

Thats one big cat !

That's a Maine Coon cat.  Derivative of the Norwegian Forest Cat.

We have one of each in our home.

• Like 2

I had a roomie named Huey.

He liked to run up my side and perch on my shoulder. He’d hang out there while I went about my day.

Looked a lot like this...

2554FD46-FEBA-40F8-BCED-C4342E118FCF.jpeg

• Like 4

6 hours ago, silent thunder said:

That's a Maine Coon cat.  Derivative of the Norwegian Forest Cat.

We have one of each in our home.

Beautiful plumage !

Bodha was one of my closest friends and one of my most adroit zen teachers in this lifetime.

I've experienced love at first sight twice in my life... with my now wife when she walked on stage in the midst of my audition 32 years ago.

And when I walked into the pet store where she was working after we were living together, where Bodha and i locked eyes and that was it.

silent lightning, silent thunder...

piercing, saturating awareness.  That's my cat!  I exclaimed, then looked around kind of surprised by it.

He lived to 23.  He understood dozens of phrases and umpteen words in english, spanish and german.

We shared a psychic link to a depth I did not know possible until this developed.

He would walk along beside us while out camping and hiking, then he'd yowl when he was tired (city feet) and then I'd hoist him onto my backback or in my hoody and he'd ride contentedly. 

We climbed trees together. 

He would ride my shoulder up the fire escape ladder on our Brownstone and we'd hang out on the rooftops of Brooklyn for hours at a time, bird watching and just being together, taking in the view.  When it was time to climb back down, he'd come, but he'd often  bitch a bit and let me know 'it's just getting good now, why leave?'.

I still think of him daily... a decade after his death.

What a gift, his friendship.

He had the most awesome tiger stripe 'goggles' pattern on his head.

"Pilot to CoPilot!" I'd call out, that was code for 'going out do do some shit' and he'd always come running...

Edited by silent thunder
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There is something about cats and cardboard boxes

Spoiler

Edited by zerostao
cats not cars lol
  • Like 2