Hi all,

some do some practices with music...:

I sometimes do ZifaGong / spontaneous Qigong / stillnessmovement / wujigong / seiki / - whatever you call it...see tags (funny nearly everone of those states they are the only ones who do it ;-)  with music.

Is there any music you could recommend to help "get the ball rolling"?

Cheers. MoS

• Like 1

It’s best to practice with no music.

Ive had teachers that say it’s ok to have music, some said it’s even ok to practice in front of the tv. But the more highly achieved teachers I met say that music makes practice less effective.

Think of zifagong as a means of ‘de-programming’ yourself... but with music you’re re-programming yourself (with the words, the emotions, the stimulation of mind etc)

If you must use music, go for relaxing, unemotional music that either has no words or words in a language you don’t understand. This will still affect your practice negatively - but less so.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Master Logray said:

The attention should be drawn inward during training.

That is true if your practice is about reaching a proper trance state, i.e. Dhyana.

Those who practice Buddhist wisdom methods like Zen and Dzogchen would aspire to rest in natural open awareness where in and out lose their meaning and deep meditative absorption is often viewed as an undesirable side path.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, freeform said:

Ive had teachers that say it’s ok to have music,

My teacher created a musical peace based on the five elements, and had a professional cello player record it. 

When standing in sung it was ok, when we went ont the next phase and did more active work, it felt like crap (the music did one thing, and the mudra did another). 

We never played it again in class. 

He also taught beginners that we could watch TV. 

That was for a specific reason, to give the visualizers something to do until they could feel what was happening. 

After that, awareness became more of an issue. 

Edited by Cleansox
Added stuff
  • Like 3

Thanks to you all!

Just to clarify, of course I never do Meditation Practices (like Samata Vipassana etc.) with Music -

- to concentrate, de-program, becoming empty, whatever you call it, Music would simply be counterproductive.

I WAS JUST REFERING TO SPONTANEOUS BODY MOVEMENT (ZI-FA-GONG)!

For THIS kind of practice I know of a few Teachers who occasionally use Music to help beginners or people with more or less bodily Rigidity (aren't we all???)

-to "shake it off",

-to "let loose",

-to "get lost",

-to help "distract their holding on to >stability>"

(but I always forgot to ask them about the musical pieces they used)

Any suggestions now JUST FOR THIS PURPOSE?

Thanks

I talked to Gabrielle, and she said that for you she recommend the entire Twisted Sister album Stay hungry. 

It will fulfill all your needs. 

5 hours ago, Master of no significance said:

Thanks to you all!

Just to clarify, of course I never do Meditation Practices (like Samata Vipassana etc.) with Music -

- to concentrate, de-program, becoming empty, whatever you call it, Music would simply be counterproductive.

For THIS kind of practice I know of a few Teachers who occasionally use Music to help beginners or people with more or less bodily Rigidity (aren't we all???)

-to "shake it off",

-to "let loose",

-to "get lost",

Thanks

To me it sounds more like dancing, and finding the music you resonate with for expressive purpose. And as such, this may better be answered in the general discussion area.

4 hours ago, Cleansox said:

What you are after is Gabrielle Roth's 5rythms movement system. 

Not related to Zi Fa Gong. 

Sadly she passed away, but her 5 Rhythm, Sweat Your Prayers system is wonderful.  It's not gi gong, but in music and motion there is trance and release.. things missing in our modern life. 

Plus it'll make you a better dancer.   

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 4:39 AM, Master of no significance said:

Thanks to you all!

-to "shake it off",

-to "let loose",

-to "get lost",

Thanks

Like Freeform said, no music is better.

My teacher in zifagong never played music as it wasn't needed and was a distraction. The internal and external movement was dynamic enough.

Similarly to what Freefom says, my master doesn't recommend music as the intent and vibration of the creator can impact you especially if you are in an energetically expanded state. If they were anxious or the like, it is tied to the vibration of the music, and can impact you and your practice negatively.

John

• Like 1