zerostao

Voices from 'Murica

Posted (edited)

Simpson's cameo appearance, unscheduled surprise with Stapleton was significant for several reasons. For their second song Will Ferrell had caught on and included simpson's name. On the first song, the spotlight opened on stapleton, when the full stage was lit, whoa, there was the mischievous sturgill standing right by Chris. He even sang a verse and played a guitar solo.

He'd been on that stage before. Loose, relaxed, smiling, an unknown.

Its a traditional hillbilly way. Never see em coming until they right on top of you.

Spoiler

So the above was pretty much an unknown stepping onto a large stage, at the end, not knowing what to expect his eyes scanned the snl audience. They were whispering fiery, explosive, energetic, how he fed off his fellow players was downright frenetic. Ha,

When he came back for round two, he wasn't there to ingratiate himself to a national audience. He left the acoustic backstage and brought a worn telecaster out with him. He wasn't there to perform for the audience. An opportunity is only what one makes of it. Simpson was there to slap the faces of those programmed by mass media corporate bullshit. Watch for yourself. A call to arms.

He was there to unleash a display of focused anger, like its taught back in breathit. Bloody breathit. Unleashed anger and frustration wasnt just for himself. It was for legions of hillbillies. Forgotten, underappreciated, with abilities and capabilities to reveal to whomever pays attention.

Simpson wasn't asking for attention, he was in the audiences faces warning them of their apathy and ignorance, their folly. He slipped in on them. He blistered them. 

There is an alternative to the corporate establishment life sucking mockery that puppets pay attention to. Yeah, it's ugly sometimes, served straight without mixer or chaser, but it's not fake. It's vibrant, potent as pit viper venom. 

When he finished, and slammed the telecaster to the stage. After he knocked over a drum cymbal and kicked the keyboards, he scowled at the audience, dared them, challenged them. No doubt he'd had fought them all right then and there. 

The audience was like, hey dude, we're cool.

Edited by zerostao

On 8/22/2020 at 10:32 PM, zerostao said:

Simpson's cameo appearance, unscheduled surprise with Stapleton was significant for several reasons. For their second song Will Ferrell had caught on and included simpson's name. On the first song, the spotlight opened on stapleton, when the full stage was lit, whoa, there was the mischievous sturgill standing right by Chris. He even sang a verse and played a guitar solo.

He'd been on that stage before. Loose, relaxed, smiling, an unknown.

Its a traditional hillbilly way. Never see em coming until they right on top of you.

Reveal hidden contents

So the above was pretty much an unknown stepping onto a large stage, at the end, not knowing what to expect his eyes scanned the snl audience. They were whispering fiery, explosive, energetic, how he fed off his fellow players was downright frenetic. Ha,

When he came back for round two, he wasn't there to ingratiate himself to a national audience. He left the acoustic backstage and brought a worn telecaster out with him. He wasn't there to perform for the audience. An opportunity is only what one makes of it. Simpson was there to slap the faces of those programmed by mass media corporate bullshit. Watch for yourself. A call to arms.

He was there to unleash a display of focused anger, like its taught back in breathit. Bloody breathit. Unleashed anger and frustration wasnt just for himself. It was for legions of hillbillies. Forgotten, underappreciated, with abilities and capabilities to reveal to whomever pays attention.

Simpson wasn't asking for attention, he was in the audiences faces warning them of their apathy and ignorance, their folly. He slipped in on them. He blistered them. 

There is an alternative to the corporate establishment life sucking mockery that puppets pay attention to. Yeah, it's ugly sometimes, served straight without mixer or chaser, but it's not fake. It's vibrant, potent as pit viper venom. 

When he finished, and slammed the telecaster to the stage. After he knocked over a drum cymbal and kicked the keyboards, he scowled at the audience, dared them, challenged them. No doubt he'd had fought them all right then and there. 

The audience was like, hey dude, we're cool.

what price does one pay (besides for broken instruments) for tapping into rage which is beyond anger?  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, old3bob said:

what price does one pay (besides for broken instruments) for tapping into rage which is beyond anger?  

That is an excellent question. 

• Thanks 1

The price is the process that one embodies when it occurs in my experience.

Like the old saying:

We are not punished for our rage(anger), we are punished by it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

I think rage would be seriously damaging. Focused anger, i think, can be used creatively. Still, anger can lead to issues. Anger issues.

Some fire ūüĒ• in the belly is different. On another thread I'm going to mention a holy man who breathed lightning.

The heat from rage though likely would consume the individual. Probably consume others as well.

Sunday night i watched Simpson's Sound & Fury on Netflix.anime set to his 4th album.

Edit> adult anime. There is a specific name for it. Im no anime expert. I dont think its suitable for children.

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, zerostao said:

I think rage would be seriously damaging. Focused anger, i think, can be used creatively. Still, anger can lead to issues. Anger issues.

Some fire ūüĒ• in the belly is different. On another thread I'm going to mention a holy man who breathed lightning.

The heat from rage though likely would consume the individual. Probably consume others as well.

Sunday night i watched Simpson's Sound & Fury on Netflix.anime set to his 4th album.

Excellent point, thank you.

My comment was over-broad and demonized the beneficial quality of shadow.

*bow*

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

i'd say that uncontrolled fear and rage can be killers...for they can take on a life of their own so to speak,  like  being possessed by their particular force.   (and that process can rapidly take over for an 'x' amount time, thus it can only be reflected upon in the aftermath when reason returns - if there is one left to reflect on the outcome...) 

Edited by old3bob
  • Like 3

On a different note another kind of often consuming process...

• Like 2

Some of us choose to be consumed by the fires of passion and desire rather than rage or fear..consumed still,, 

Johnny Cash is definitely a voice of Murica. A giant.

June wrote that song, Ring of Fire. George Jones wondered if anyone could fill the shoes of giant murican voices once they'd passed on.

Johnny & June. Yeah, their rings were forged, bonded in the fiery flames. 

A ring is a circle and the circle remains unbroken o3b.

Johnny and June are classical voices of that era, current in their time, yet remain timeless. Everlasting.

Chris and Morgane Stapleton currently share their songs, their voices, i wont even try to add an adjective, Stapleton approaches, i hesitate to use the term sublime,, im not sure he has any boundaries.

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

From the recently, lamentably departed Justin Townes Earle:

Edited by SirPalomides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for adding those SP,  lyle lovett's song Nashville comes to mind, ol Lyle keeps that one hid anymore. 

Darkness lurks below neon lights

Mississippi goddam

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spell B-L-U-E-S  

Spoiler

• Thanks 1

Sunday best Part One

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Intermezzo yo, go make a friendly post to any random bum

then, if you'd like return for Part Two of Sunday best

Part Two Sunday best

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

The above was a last second addition. I was gonna include a song, that i dont even care for. And I totally despise it during college football season. Rocky Top. Sigh, but I like Dolly, and Conway,  Conway is really from Mississippi, but he adopted Tennessee, i guess like Peyton Manning did.. conway hung around the Somerset , Ky area a lot.. it was common to find him out by the lake under a tree strumming his guitar. The Twitty birds were almost always from tennessee. We'd boo them at concerts but they always played to full house crowds. No empty seats.. the last second addition, she's from Tennessee too. And although she moved away to France, she is a  True queen of Tennessee. 

Did ya'll make a friendly post to a random Bum ? Honor system.

The Gates of Zen know if you did or didn't. 

Qualifications for returning to view Part Three of Sunday best. Hit the like button minimum five posts of any random bums (exclude me) like some bums that could use a few likes. Then, if you'd like, return here to see what's cooking part 3. 

Honor system

• Like 1

"Who's the one picking the banjo here?"

Actors, eh. Next video, more actors.

And while art and theatre do influence culture; some may or may not suit anyone's personal taste. And if a certain piece or style is aesthitically pleasing, or not, there is no reason to condemn it, or start a civil war over it.

This sword is double edged, cuts equally on both sides.

• Like 1

I never posted a Sunday's Best part 3 last week. Well mod duty called and other things, other threads. Just bc I dont advertise how many hours a day I devote to playing: kung fu, daoist arts, random playful things, doesn't mean that i don't do them.

It didn't not post because I doubted the following bums didnt do as I humbly requested, spreading little cheer around the forum, i know goodness can not be legislated from above. Not that im above, i aint, i am the common dirt abundant on the ground. A little dusty sometimes,, a bit muddy other times.. I do feel a bum or 2 may have actually gone out in the spirit of spreading little cheer on the forum, so, keeping to my word, 

Part 3 Sunday Best, it is Sunday afterall, a holiday Sunday at that!

I hope each and everyone of you bums is safe, healthy, and enjoying [as best as can be expected, during these crazy times] your Sunday.

Let's continue our banjo theme today.

Spoiler

Uncle John Scruggs. Um wasn't that guy in the first video, in the spoiler box, named Scruggs too? A great banjo player by any other name  is still a great banjo player, doesnt hurt, though, if the name happens to be Scruggs.

Spoiler

Hillbillies aint all white. Stereotypes, are propganda, dont trust stereotypes. They can be used to divide us up. And some that are masters of the politicians are playing a game to divide us all up. Dont get played. On this thread, right here, i will say it once again, fuck the Dems, & fuck the Republicans too.

Rhiannon Giddens: pure passion and focus.

And ya`ll know how I feel about Valerie June`s sweetness & tenderness, her talent, her art, her being. She has the wings of a loving kindness Angel. Valerie June shared a video with me, which may have been the most delightful thing I've seen all year. I wish I could share it you all. But I can't. It is suitable as a nursery rhyme for small children, but as of right now, i can't share.

The banjo, doesnt feel threatened or rivaled  by the guitar, mandolin, any string instrument, not even by the fiddle. The banjo is confident and content in its own being, unique, in harmony with the others. It can be the perfect team player, or take the lead, if that is needed at the time. 

Some Finnish bluegrass band of hillbillies may have included an accordion in their band, but they kept the banjo. Check it out.

Thank you o3b, that one touches me. Jerry Jeff Walker wearing the cowboy hat on the video, and Jerry Jeff penned that song. Aint Jerry jeff singing it though. That would be olive hill's Tom T Hall. 

There's alot of thoughts swirling round my head these days. I know I'm not alone in that regard.

I was going to play temple of the dog's Hunger Strike. And not merely to foreshadow the coming hunger games.

Yesterday, there was a knock at my door, and i let a broken down wanderer in for a spell. I was playing sturgill simpson, Chris stapleton, the wanderer requested garth's The Dance. It became surreal. 

The uncanny perched, cocked its head, gave me a look.

I asked the wanderer if he believed in Angels. He said he was one, then he left.

I think The Dance is what we once had. America. City folk and country folk danced together. It didnt matter, black, white, Hispanic, democrat, republican, rich, poor, it didnt matter because we were all dancing. Mr. Bojangles, wont you please dance again, Please.

• Like 1