zerostao

Voices from 'Murica

Posted (edited)

Here's a voice from breathit county, I know I've mentioned Harlan county, pike county, carter county, never mentioned breathit, known as "bloody breathit" 

Some things are better left unspoken, round here, if you've told anyone that someone from breathit county is here to see them, their complexion would turn pale as a ghost as if they've seen one, or about to.

Anyways, gonna let the man say it in his own way

Spoiler

Edited by zerostao
  • Like 1

Cries from the wilderness often go unheard, really just ignored/dismissed. Historically haught attitudes could care less what wlydlings out in the hinterlands have to say. Haughty attitudes were at Versailles, London,  Saint Petersburg, Rome, the american revolution is one example, where/when of all folks it was moonshiners who turned the tide. To be a patriot, an american patriot, a rebel against the crown, was to be a moonshiner.

Spoiler

Once, in Macedonia, the playwright sent the first messenger to Pentheus. Pentheus used reason, logic, law, authority trying to impose his will for what was best for his people. Pentheus had a clear hamartia. 

May be the singing up in the high mountain haunts should have been listened to a little closer rather than dismissed, and thought to be irrational. 

don't know much along these lines but sure do like Doc Watson, Willie Waylon and the boys, Johnny Cash and that old Nitty Grity Dirt Band album.  (among others)

• Like 1

@old3bob nice selection you shared there. The nitty-gritty dirt band is out of Long Beach California, they listened to the voices of 'Murica and echoed the sound back. Mutual respect when they came out with Will the Circle be Unbroken it became a serious must have for any true 'Murican. It remains so to this day hearkening back to a time when the country was united, strong, One. One nation indivisible...

( some may hold a different perspective on this, that is cool, im telling this myth though)

What made America, America ? It's a tapestry woven with diversity with common threads and bonds. Somewhere on the patchwork quilt is automobiles and the open road, cranking up the radio, that is what 'Murica still is. I bet in long Beach, its enjoyed too.

A couple of songs on my all time Playlist are the nitty-gritty dirt bands Mr. Bojangles & Fishin in the Dark. The latter sometimes is played at weddings here in 'Murica.

• Like 1

A few selected oldies to warm up the thread; then, taking it to the real.

Spoiler

Spoiler

I've probably lost the majority of viewers at this point. I do not reward short attention spans. Will return soon, other threads call out,,,,

Spoiler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's awesome o3b, :) we're moving in a desired direction. Again, another band reflecting on a different cultural part of our great nation than their own. CCR, a San Francisco Bay area band singing about bayous, catfish, mississippi river, and other icons of southern culture. 

This is how America rolled during those seriously challenging times when WE transitioned from the 60s to 70s. WE stood together, One Nation. 

CCR didn't really do romantic love songs, they had more a platonic love sharing love American style, love for all. All except for the politicians. Disdain for democrats and republicans, alike. War mongers everyone of them. Politicians ain't changed, what has changed is how WE react to them.

Once, WE stood together in the streets united in our defiance against the machine.

City folk didn't call, out country folk, pointing fingers, assigning blame.

Country folk didn't call out city folk, pointing fingers, assigning blame.

WE stood side by side and then, WE were awesome. 

CCR Pagan Baby has a similar theme to the first song on this thread. Sturgill Simpson Turtles all the Way Down.

Believe whatever you choose to believe, its all good, let's have some fun and share the love. Remember that Doobie Brothers lyric, without love where would you be now?

Well as a nation, here we are. It's time, high time. WE take back what is ours. There is no was.

• Like 1

Once, I was in a county jail in rural Kentucky, got caught with some green weed. Mostly, poor white dudes, down on their luck in there. Three unlucky black dudes up from Georgia were brought in for short changing local store clerks. They were quiet and stayed covered up until Saturday morning when perhaps they were a little surprised to find Soul Train playing on the pod TV.  Al Green was singing For the Good Times. After the show ended, they mingled with us, shared  their stories.

In the spoiler box notice the bottom right corner of the video.

Spoiler

Change arrives  by various means. It can come about sudden and  violent or more organically and peaceful. 

I'm keeping the tunes spinning up out of the south or Southern influenced for the moment. Ray Charles influenced many a country artist. And then there is this guy...

• Like 2

'd say timeless. Resilient is always key. Resilient is the key to resistance. Resistance to the machine. Resistance to the machine is essential.

It was black folk who brought the banjo to Appalachia. Where would bluegrass be without the banjo? Bluegrass would still exist but its better with banjo. Folk music is always valued too.

Valerie june is from Jackson Tennessee, i told this story once on the road less gravelled.

all of us experience the struggle.. living in poverty stricken `murica, you have to take chances, measure the risk and hope for the best, conditioned to expect the worse.. One venture, me and a friend,, and a guy who claimed to know something but didn't, headed to Georgia where we did have success for the first part of the plan, the second part didnt come easy. Somehow my debit card magnetic strip got damaged and I couldn't use it. We were trying to complete the second part of the venture in Tennessee where our clueless partner said we'd accomplish the goal. It was looking like we were going to have to head to Arkansas, with no food and very little gas in the tank.

We stopped at a Mickie d's in Jackson tennessee, me and my friend walked in, we had scraped up enough change to order 3 double cheeseburgers and 3 waters. Every worker in there was black, without comment or indication, they handed us a sack of a dozen double cheeseburgers, 3 orders of fries, 3 cups and nodded to the fountain drink station. They didn't tell us to have a nice day. We didn't thank them. The eyes said it already.

In the parking lot, with a road map, we set a course for talladega Alabama where we found our success.

Spoiler

• Like 1

Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only Light can do that.

Hate cannot drive out hate. Only Love can do that.

Spoiler

Immortal secrets.

Murica wouldve installed president Willie long ago

Spoiler

Spoiler

Chris covers Willie. Chris will not be campaigning for president. He and Sturgill are prophets 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

On my way to post some kitty cat videos, first,

This new release by Costello

Elvis C  apparently hasn't been to murica lately,, or he is attempting some reverse psychology which is unnecessary. Some mysterious forces coming after murica's daughters? Try it,

Spoiler

Spoiler

So, we're going to have to talk about weapons. Gun confiscation is a fantasy that some cling to. The 44th president held no such delusions. He was re elected. The 44th president passed fewer firearms restrictions than the 45th one already has. 

The 45th banned bump stocks, here's the thing, an ar15 does not need anything added to it or removed from it to be a fully functioning full auto per se, in that the rate of fire of full auto is easily reached. This isn't talked about much. Yet, its well known in murica how its accomplished. You dont need a coat hanger. You need about ten minutes instruction and a lot of ammo. More on ammo later.

Let's put things in context and perspective. The us army has 4.4 million guns. Nationwide law enforcement has 2.3 million. Murica holds 100s of millions. Perhaps as many as 650 million, of which 393 million are unregistered. All of them didnt go to Mexico. 

Let's talk about postal service. A rural murican that lives 30 miles from the nearest store relies heavily on the usps. Post offices in rural murica are social centers where you meet up with neighbors and catch up on local news. Sometimes a post office and a volunteer fire department are the only buildings in town.

The usps service arrested Steve Bannon, how cool is that?

Edited by zerostao

This rendition has the Merle Travis family seal of approval.

From Mesa 

"you expect my memory to go back a year ago?"

"now you give me money, and I got to pay some gobberment dude?

"stop filming this stupid shit"

"my worm farming and shit"

lol

1 hour ago, natural said:

"you expect my memory to go back a year ago?"

"now you give me money, and I got to pay some gobberment dude?

"stop filming this stupid shit"

"my worm farming and shit"

lol

the body language though :lol:

Dang o3b, that's a deep song, it's meaning often debated. Deep song, deep album, deep band, and title blind faith. The album cover,  1969, the mythical 60s were winding down... and through that tumultuous decade what had we distilled as the essence? Or did we?

Spoiler

Donovan told of the Poets from atlantis, the song Get Together, and the Supremes and the temptations recorded songs together, that year of music had a bit of everything, beatles, elvis, Jackie deshannon told everyone precisely what do do...

There was a tremendous push to set sail in the right direction, but governments sow seeds of a different type? GD 2 party system

Spoiler

&

Spoiler

Now here we are in 2020 and

Spoiler

• Like 2

Pearl and swine bereft of me

Spoiler

Born in Lexington, ky he made his way to nashville in 2001, most dont make it past the state line... i was there too, up from florida,,

16 years later he struck gold, he had taken nashville, then he took Memphis. After such a feat and big Apple command performance, makes good sense to have the guy from breathit County riding along shotgun. These two are strong. 

Spoiler