松永道

Tongue Postion

When I started doing qigong, I was told to place the tip of my tongue behind the two front teeth where the gums and teeth meet.

Later, I was told to place the tongue further up, moving back from the front teeth and up the ridge of the upper palate to the concave area right where the roof of the mouth flattens out again.

The second method seems to complete the circuit better than the first, but I wonder, why sometimes one way and sometimes the other? Is it possible the first method is just ill-informed or a deliberate mis-teaching? Or does it have it's own benefits? Maybe both ways are right.

Any ideas?

• Like 1

I've been taught that there are 7 tongue seals. I only know the two you have mentioned. The one just behind the front teeth is called the "fire seal".

• Like 1

I was also taught wind is behind the teeth, fire in the middle of the hard palate, and water at the junction of the hard and soft palates and our lineage has nothing to do with Mantak Chia.

Thanks for the response and for the clarification that your lineage is completely different then Mantak Chia's.

Wow, I find that interesting.

I would assume that there is some sort of misunderstanding upon the definition my teacher meant when he taught me such a thing.

Whom else learned tongue positions and was it like mine or like Xuesheng was taught along with what Mantak Chia's teachings?

Damn, the ancient Chinese were f'n geniuses!!! :o
App-20-Completing.gif
Listen to what some physical therapists have now been discovering about the critical importance of resting your tongue up on your palate!

Joy Moeller (9:45): And there's some doctors that feel if the tongue is not going UP to the roof of the mouth, the hormones are not being released from the pituitary gland. And that the whole pumping action of your tongue going up to the roof of your mouth will expand the nasal cavity and also stimulate the sphenoid bone to rotate and secrete enzymes from your pituitary gland.
sklatsb.jpgpituitary_brain2a.jpg
Joseph Mercola: And the pituitary gland's so important because it's the master hormone gland so it secretes so many different hormones. And a big part of what your work and with these exercises is to actually train that tongue to spontaneously rest on the roof of your mouth. I mean, you have hundreds, if not thousands, of exercises. And a good percentage of them, that's the central core is to get that tongue up there.

Joy Moeller: Getting the tongue up is so important. The tongue is actually an organ, it's not a muscle.
The hyoid bone, which is in your neck, is also connected to your tongue, and so that starts your whole posturing too. If your tongue is resting down and forward, it's just enough to pull your head...which weighs as much as a bowling ball, and your tongue weighs about 3 ounces...if it's resting down and forward, it's just enough to pull your head forward.

hyoid_bone.jpg

image005.jpg

articles-002.jpgmb5.png

During a normal swallow the tip of the tongue is placed on the alveolar ridge (gum ridge behind the upper teeth), the jaw closes with occlusion of the rear molars, and the tongue moves up in a wave-like motion to propel food back and downward. The most common swallowing disorder is a tongue thrust. In an anterior tongue thrust the tip of the tongue typically presses on or between the upper and/or lower front teeth.

goals of oral myology are

Edited by vortex
  • Like 4

IMMHO Its purpose is to keep the mouth from drying. It makes no difference as long as the tongue is up there somewhere.

what are the drawbacks of dry mouth other than discomfort?

As far as I know, there is no drawbacks other than discomfort.

Edited by ChiDragon

It seems that speaking in tongue help invoking kundalini energy. The tongue stimulates the palate.

The whole mystery of universe is inside human body.

• Like 2

There are little holes in the bones where blood vessles, nerves water, even air pass thru. Physical contact from the tip of the tip of the tongue is like making an electrical circuit. The nerves that pass thru those holes run upwards thru the floor of the skull to places in the mid-brain (organs and such). The tip of the tongue is linked to a point near the tail bone. Palatalization in modern languages make only occasional use of the first point behind the front teeth. Many languagès rooted in sanskrit and tonal languages still palatalize in ways that bridge the gap ..snakes tend to coil-up. Some mantras tend after sometimes more-or-less repetition to make constant contact with that first point behind .."all I want for christ-o-mass in my two front..." they reprogrammed us via our production of sound (thymus-larynix-thalumus) to constantly forget ourtrue nature, oops, now i'm introuble.. oh, did 'i' leave outtheheart again ..? Ah-well,or 'Ha as youtake it.. anyway, 'i' am thru sounding-off

We tend to stop the Seer-pent from rising in many if not 9 ways and twice about it. ..ha-ha.

• Like 2

what happens to a car battery that gets low on water? ;)

• Like 1

From a physical POV, saliva is also protecting your teeth.

For my qigong we keep it where we can feel the best energy connection. For me i feel it's on a small bump about a centimeter behind the two front teeth.

There is a definite energy flow/circuit, the tongue vibrates and shakes by itself.

• Like 1

When the tongue is resting behind the lower teeth and you smile the tip of the tongue comes to rest in a relaxed way behind the sinus at the upper teeth. Smiling with the chin tucked increases this and stretch muscles that open the back of the head, crown and even forehead. Blood flow to those areas has to increase as muscles develope? If so, then blood carrying enzymes can disolve adhesions in the places where water is moving? If the ideal is to open the skull and unenlightenment means that light is not getting in then the places where blood, air or water travel might be blocked. If light is channeled thru the movement of water, then maybe articulation of the skull by muscles is important? I read the constituants of spinal water and see that one of them is phosphorus that absorbs black light? The tongue articulates the tail bone.. I mean if smiling bridges the gap and developes muscles that are under used, then the skull would articluate properly with the tailbone and set free the serpent energy. I wonder how much of the musculature of the skull is active in a full smile? Maybe enlightenment is somthing so very simple it is easy to overlook ..like forgetting to :-)

• Like 1

It seems like smiling is always derived from happenstance. I wonder the differences between intending to holding a specific face posture or mudra till serpent/ heart rises, or letting life decide when smiling happens. I think it's kinda like throwing a monkey wrench into the sea of lower emotion called humanity ..stirs things up then alchemy begins on a greater scale. Maybe the begining of enlightenmeng is willingness to absolve everyone elses anger/fire. Is there a synergistic effect when more than one person intends enlightenment, or even a smile? I mean if the 'light' of enlightenment is literal and light is very fast, then maybe all of humanity is currently involved in this alchemy -one fueling the other in synergy. O.k. now we have to vote who intends first? Any one want to be president? I would but I don't have time with all this posting.. sorry:-)

• Like 2

When the tongue is resting behind the lower teeth and you smile the tip of the tongue comes to rest in a relaxed way behind the sinus at the upper teeth. Smiling with the chin tucked increases this and stretch muscles that open the back of the head, crown and even forehead. Blood flow to those areas has to increase as muscles develope? If so, then blood carrying enzymes can disolve adhesions in the places where water is moving? If the ideal is to open the skull and unenlightenment means that light is not getting in then the places where blood, air or water travel might be blocked. If light is channeled thru the movement of water, then maybe articulation of the skull by muscles is important? I read the constituants of spinal water and see that one of them is phosphorus that absorbs black light? The tongue articulates the tail bone.. I mean if smiling bridges the gap and developes muscles that are under used, then the skull would articluate properly with the tailbone and set free the serpent energy. I wonder how much of the musculature of the skull is active in a full smile? Maybe enlightenment is somthing so very simple it is easy to overlook ..like forgetting to :-)

Yep. The mystery of mona lisa smile. Mabye it's really a alchemy secret. Just keep smiling, eventually you're be enlighted.

• Like 2

Mona lisa and some buddha and images of saints, well even laughing buddhas.. maybe sublime state of enlightenment is above blissful enlightenment where smiles and laughter are expressed outwardly. Enlightenment is commonly considered a process thru time with mile markers along the way. Maybe there are gaps or way station where refined "energy" (mind) at a next level can become expressed either outward or inward and a choice between the two lead to either progression or repetition. Progression being oposite from what is commonly chosen en mass.