dantheman12345

Hello and seeking advice for another case of Kundalini Syndrome

Hi Bums,

I have been a lurker here for many years. But never taken the time to post.

I recently developed what is called Kundalini Syndrome from meditating zazen style in an IKEA chair sitting on an earthing matt. I have no formal training and no experience of being under a teacher. I had been experiencing the ecstatic/bliss/sexual energy during the meditation and thought this to be a good thing. It was going away after the practice and was not much of a problem. One session the bliss remained 24x7 and has not gone away 2.5 months later. Initially I was not sleeping well but after a while became used to the sensation and learned to relax into it.

In the last 1.5 weeks it has intensified to searing whole body pain. It's really nasty and is having other impacts like really tight muscles and feeling like I need to vomit. I have been to hospital but they were unable to find anything except electrolytes slightly on the low side but not out of range. I have made efforts to increase these.

Note that I stopped all meditation 2 months ago, as soon as this energy appeared to get out of control.

I have tried many non energy generating practices over the past 2 months like long walks in nature, exercise, shaking, stretching, dancing but to be honest the energy seems to have slowly increased not subsided.

I have been working with a well regarded teacher who instructed me that my muscles and fascia were too tight and that I needed to move around more which I have been doing. More recently he has given me some extraordinary vessel movements which I have just started also. Because of the serious impact on my health and well being I am seeking second opinions.

I was hoping to hear from those who had been through the same thing or people who work with those who get themselves into this mess.

Best Wishes

Daniel

• Like 1

Welcome to the Tao Bums.  A wonderful forum to learn, discuss and cultivate.  Below are 3 important sections: Our Rules, The Insult Policy and our 3 Foundations.  Before you join click on [Reveal hidden contents] give them a read. 

Most of it boils down to being respectful.  No name calling or trolling.  Post as if your mom's looking over your shoulder.  Discussion and arguments are what the board is about.  Keep it civil, don't get personal.  Don't be a troll or one issue zealot. 

We're here for good conversation and make some friends along the way, to be a community.  Jump right in, start threads, ask questions, look for interesting threads and post your (relevant) thoughts. 

For the first week you will be restricted to ten posts per day but after that you can post as much as you like. Also, until you’ve posted fifteen times in the forums, you’ll be a “Junior Bum” with somewhat restricted access and will be allowed only two private messages per day.

Welcome, seems to me you're doing everything right.  Stopping the program, seeing a qualified live teacher.  I'm sorry you've been experiencing so much crap.  See what advice you get here, but sometimes when you're through hell, the only option is keep going, and it eventually ends.

TDB team

Read and review Our Rules:

Our Insult Policy- Read it, Live it

I think youre going to have to learn to live with it.  My experience with Kundahlini started two decades ago and it hasnt gone away.  Its taken on different shapes but Ive never been free of it.  

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dantheman12345 said:

In the last 1.5 weeks it has intensified to searing whole body pain. It's really nasty and is having other impacts like really tight muscles and feeling like I need to vomit.

Sorry to hear you’re going through that. Sounds rough.

Can I ask more about your symptoms? You mentioned the whole body pain, muscle tightness and nausea. Anything else? Are you experiencing strong emotions or emotional swings? Heat or random sweating? Do you have any anxiety? Etc.

21 hours ago, dantheman12345 said:

I have tried many non energy generating practices over the past 2 months like long walks in nature, exercise, shaking, stretching, dancing but to be honest the energy seems to have slowly increased not subsided.

That’s a great start. 

What must happen is to in effect move your energy out to the surface for some time so that things calm down a little.

Taking long walks and putting your awareness out into the world is great. It needs to be regular - daily, maybe even twice daily if possible. Same with daily exercise which is most effective when it’s reasonably high intensity (within reason - build up slowly). Spending time with people also seems to help a lot.

At the same time all internal stuff must be stopped - any extended introspection, meditation or qigong etc.

Then it’s the normal stuff - getting good rest. This means 8hrs (not more or less) and regular hours (preferably to bed by 10pm). How’s your diet? Are you able to eat meat? If you do, then go for heavyish wintery dishes like stews, bone broths, root veg etc.

Finally - the tricky bit - find a decent Chinese Medicine practitioner that has some experience with Qi deviation and meditation sickness.

Recovery takes some time - sometimes years, sometimes sooner. As long as you avoid any internal practice it will be quicker.

Be mindful of taking advice from internal teachers who have never dealt with these issues. When you’re a hammer everything looks like a nail and often meditation teachers think that it’s what’s needed (it’s not in this case)

• Like 1