Mig

Bradford Hatcher

Just found his YiJing translation and wonder how his translation is different from other as Al Huang or other classic translations?

I took the liberty to copy and paste this news:

Bradford Hatcher

Posted on June 19, 2020 by Hilary • 14 Comments
Bradford Hatcher

I learned this morning that Bradford Hatcher has died. The Yijing world has lost a treasure, and many of us have lost a good friend.

Brad was ridiculously generous with his knowledge. His epic, two-volume Yijing is available from his site, for free. (He’s made arrangements to ensure it’ll stay that way.) It’s a superb work – including a character-by-character translation to let non-Chinese scholars get a glimpse of the original, a poetic translation, an ‘introduction’ with more meat in it than most books, and unique, original commentary. That commentary comes with an acute awareness of Yi’s internal relationships (he coined the term fan yao) and, especially, of its native humour. It’s an extraordinary gift to us all.

When visiting hermetica.info for the Yijing book, pause and look around to appreciate the breadth of its author’s intelligence, which was intimidating, and his experience, which meant he was one of the few Yijing scholars who could write his commentaries about wells, cows and goats on the basis of personal knowledge of wells, cows and goats.

On a personal level, I know Brad was also generous with his time. A regular at Clarity’s I Ching Community for many years, he also helped me a great deal with my book in 2010, both with practical feedback on translation, commentary and nuance (as I emailed him each hexagram in turn), and with steady encouragement.

We met once, thanks to LiSe, a few years ago in the Netherlands, where I discovered that he also gave very good hugs.

When I heard this morning that he’d died, I looked at the books closest to me on my desk as I work:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I am saddened to hear this news, somewhat belatedly. His work on the Yi was unique , thorough and very furthering. A central reference for me. Sorry, I have been away from the Forum. I recommend his free offerings on his site. I purchased his second volume, with full details on every gua on Chinese characters. Use it often. Grateful for his life and work.

"Please forgive the lack of updates and any dead links
on account of my having proved mortal."

from his site https://hermetica.info/

Edited by Anzhi
Adding info.
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Anzhi said:

I am saddened to hear this news, somewhat belatedly. His work on the Yi was unique , thorough and very furthering. A central reference for me. Sorry, I have been away from the Forum. I recommend his free offerings on his site. I purchased his second volume, with full details on every gua on Chinese characters. Use it often. Grateful for his life and work.

"Please forgive the lack of updates and any dead links
on account of my having proved mortal."

from his site https://hermetica.info/

I didn't know much about him until I found him on the web. What do you like about his works and how fluent was he in classical Chinese or the spoken Chinese language? Thanks

Thank you for your interest in this rather impressive man. His site is well worth a good explore. His grasp of detail is very good. His two YiJing volumes are excellent in my opinion. One his translation, the second the fully referenced script of the Chinese version. You can download both of these free. He has also presented a similar with the Lao Tzu. His writing is very articulate and temperate, while his aquaintance and intimacy with the works becomes quickly obvious. I only know his written acquaintance of the language, but I would be very surprised if he wasn't a confident speaker. A remarkable man. 
https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2020/06/19/bradford-hatcher/

Edited by Anzhi
Adding info.

On 9/26/2020 at 7:05 AM, Anzhi said:

Thank you for your interest in this rather impressive man. His site is well worth a good explore. His grasp of detail is very good. His two YiJing volumes are excellent in my opinion. One his translation, the second the fully referenced script of the Chinese version. You can download both of these free. He has also presented a similar with the Lao Tzu. His writing is very articulate and temperate, while his aquaintance and intimacy with the works becomes quickly obvious. I only know his written acquaintance of the language, but I would be very surprised if he wasn't a confident speaker. A remarkable man. 
https://www.onlineclarity.co.uk/answers/2020/06/19/bradford-hatcher/

What makes them excellent? Is there a reason why he's not been well know in the book of changes enthusiasts or scholars, just wondering

Why he may not be widely known I don't know, especially in the scholarly area. As you are likely aware, there is a plethora of Yi Jing material on the internet. 
 Online Clarity is a well known and well attended forum on the Yi. 
Second hand assessment goes only so far. It may or may not suit your needs. I have read widely on the Yi and as I say it remains my main reference. The published books were expensive.,so I only purchased the matrix copy.

Edited by Anzhi
  • Like 1