Toni

Is speed reading possible?

Do u think speed reading is possible? You need to read without the subvocalization, as thinking with images. Some people say they can do it, like a former US president (Kennedy?). In my case I always subvocalize, I can't avoid it.

54 minutes ago, Toni said:

Do u think speed reading is possible? You need to read without the subvocalization, as thinking with images. Some people say they can do it, like a former US president (Kennedy?). In my case I always subvocalize, I can't avoid it.

I'll get back to you in a couple of hours when I've finished reading your post.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Toni said:

not sure if what you say is taken for a joke or not. Read the Tim Ferris's take and short guide on it from the 4 hour workweek. Basically you don't need to verbalize physically or in your head, because your mind's capacity is so much greater that it can interpret the words by simply looking at them, and rapidly at that. but it takes time to adapt to it. good for dismissing useless information and identifying useful information to which then you can slow down.

One guy who cultivates one of the huns (the lowest), was pretty strong at it, told me there are entities out there that speak in libraries, whole volumes at a time, as opposed to us. So the 3 huns allow you to think outside the body sort of, independent of cell speed, chi density, etc.

It's definitely possible. Besides cultivation of the hun souls there must many more ways as well. It's a great world but even on this forum some impressive cultivation in whatever frequency of the spectrum is rare. That is why close minds say that and such is not impossible.

The Mortimer Adler, Charles Van Doren book How to Read a Book  provides instructions on speed reading.

I think it depends on what youre reading, and how much contemplation you want to give what is being said.  Some authors are very dense, and each phrase is important.  Other authors (like Nietzsche) keep banging the same drum with their rhetoric over and over.  It also depends on how much you know, where if you know a lot, then youre already familiar with the subject matter.  Ive gone from speed reading to literally having to digest each vowel to understand.  It depends how seriously you are taking your learning process.  I have a friend who can quote things and spout out many theories but none of it matters to him, he isnt changing who he is for anyone.  Some things can be very moving, making you refocus your goals and knowledge.

Yep, and as any other skill it takes years of dedicated training. 

When I started training I was like 11 year old, started from around 300-400 words per minute, and got to 4000 words per minute.

You read faster as you are able to see and comprehend multiple rows of text at the same time.

It has certain drawbacks.

Speedreading is done with goal in mind, it is for browsing through books to find certain information, if you don't have a goal in mind for reading, it won't work. Much of the technique is based on filtering the non valuable information and "water" out, and capture the most critical content. You cannot speedread a physics or chemistry textbook. 

If you find a good novel or good story to read chances are you will want to extend the pleasure, not to rush it. It's like speed eating, some people can eat a huge meal in 15 seconds, but what is the point?

You would still prefer to eat it slowly and chew your food well.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:55 PM, Toni said:

as thinking with images.

For me sometimes, its hard to tell if I have read the book, or actually went to the cinema.

• Like 2

I should have asked, is it possible to dissociate thinking and speaking? Is it possible to read without the internal speaking? This is the important and difficult thing

14 minutes ago, Toni said:

I should have asked, is it possible to dissociate thinking and speaking? Is it possible to read without the internal speaking? This is the important and difficult thing

absolutely.

you tend to train something like it in IQ training with normal Image Streaming and then later on with Quantum Image Streaming

but you need higher IQ to process the higher speed otherwise you go crazy literally

Edited by EmeraldHead

1 hour ago, Toni said:

It is possible to disassociate thinking from reading and speaking.  I actually find it more of a challenge to think when I read, but not when I speak.  Internal speaking when I read...  Ive experienced that but I think that state is harder to attain.