helpfuldemon

How to become conscious of your thoughts.

Hi Im posting this in the Occult section because I have done a bit of study of the two major occult philosophical schools of Thelema and the Golden Dawn, and wanted to use their methods to support my commentary on how to become conscious of your thinking.  

I like these two systems because they make use of the Rose Cross, which begins with one point and expands into a philosophical spectrum.  That is what I came here to say:  one needs to have a fundamental truth in order to organize ones thinking.  What that truth is shall be up to the individual, but once you have it, you can construct your behavior and worldview around it, cross referencing your beliefs with what is going on around you.  Everything relates back to this one truth, and in that way you become aware of your actions, your beliefs, and your reactions.  Everything starts with a simple origin, and as it is developed the complexity arises, and the magician makes the necessary adjustments as they grow in order to preserve and promote their one truth and worldview.  You can do this with multiple truths as well, and synthesis them into a collective whole, weeding out the parts or half truth that dont fit in with your worldview.  

• Like 1

Citing your 'likes' ....

Thelema has an obvious 'one truth' in 'Do what thou Wilt' , but what  is the one truth of the  G.D. ? 

I agree somewhat with your thesis , but I would add  .;   ' check the internal  reality map '

In the 4 principles of healthy psychology , one of them is checking your internal reality map , which means ; we form an internal view or central principle /s by which we manage our lives through the 'environment' / external reality / view and every so often we  should 'check outside'   against THAT reality .  Is the world REALLY operating  as we think  it is ?

Our  collective understanding  of external reality changes and develops over time . so too must our individual  understanding  of it , otherwise we are stuck in old and outmoded systems . So we are encouraged, every so often to check our internal  understanding of 'reality' with the external  (or we are still working things out with the view the Sun goes around the earth and dies each night , or those we have made peace with are our enemy, or that 'race' is a valid concept  ... or a whole range of other prejudices) .  

So I suggest some cross checking  on our 'one truths' every so often. Some of the old occult stuff talks about development of 'racial types' and runs through their philosophy and conclusions fairly deeply , if involved in those groups, it might pay to do a little research on the science and genetics in that area . . . and adjust our views accordingly .

Edited by Nungali
  • Like 1

I dont think the GD has a one truth, I see it more of a series of tools that can be used to discover and develop truth.  Thelema has it too, to some degree, but like you pointed out there is "one truth"- the truth of their prophet.  The Rosy Cross is a great tool for developing an understanding of your fundamental idea.

23 hours ago, helpfuldemon said:

I dont think the GD has a one truth, I see it more of a series of tools that can be used to discover and develop truth.  Thelema has it too, to some degree, but like you pointed out there is "one truth"- the truth of their prophet.  The Rosy Cross is a great tool for developing an understanding of your fundamental idea.

Its a great 'end ' ( ie, 'to fulfil a purpose' )  for it as well.

In that;  in Thelema  .... well, one expression of it ....  the 5th degree ,  is a Rosicrucian Degree  and is said to be the general stopping place of those that progress through the series  ( beyond that its more dedication to the order ; admin,  moderation, organisation, etc  ). It starts as a point, expands and then becomes the sphere of your work. That is , your 'Rosicrucianism'   becomes the expression of your 'Great  Work'  . ... everything can then be expressed under the original 'one focus' ., but now it has developed and is expressed in your  'dhama' .

Screen_Shot_2018-01-27_at_10.29.03_PM_10

Edited by Nungali

The only one truth that there is, that organizes all other phenomenon is the law of cause and effect ( karma ).  Or as the buddhists like to call it "dependent ordination".  

What you think about has power and potential to cause effects, etc. 

If you're looking for some overarching theme which will serve as the standard to judge or cross reference your thinking, that is an intellectual concept....I think you're looking for absolute truth.  

"Only one who masters all the laws of the microcosm and macrocosm can speak on the validity and significance of what is absolutely true"

Everyone has a different level of cognizance on what they know about the totality of what is absolutely true.  Few people, spirits, beings, etc. ever know all of it.  Scientists know a great deal about the laws of the physical world, that is part of the absolute truth.  Thinkers and meditators know a great deal about the mind and how it works, that is part of the absolute truth. Etc. Etc.  All the laws and dynamics that work to create, sustain, and destroy what we know as existence are all parts of this absolute truth.