Synophion

What is the Average Age of a Tao Bum

What is Your Age  

298 members have voted

1. 1. 15 options each containing a 5 year period to choose from.

• 13 - 17
    • 18 - 22
    • 23 - 27
    • 28 - 32
    • 33 - 37
    • 38 - 42
    • 43 - 47
    • 48 - 52
    • 53 - 57
    • 58 - 62
    • 63 - 67
    • 68 - 72
    • 73 - 77
    • 78 - 82
    • 83 - 87

I think compuserve went live in 1979. You were -3 at the time.

And they were in business for a few years after that ;)

We used Apple 2E's at the time with a telephone placed on top of the modem to connect... then again the elementary school I was in at the time may not have been too up to date!

And they were in business for a few years after that ;)

We used Apple 2E's at the time with a telephone placed on top of the modem to connect... then again the elementary school I was in at the time may not have been too up to date!

And eventually swallowed by Prodigy/AOL (I think).

Those apples were pretty amazing at the time. I was involved in the whole computer revolution; but never saw one until engineering school and that was a mainframe where we had to punch out cards to be read into the system. The micro revolution was a really amazing thing.

Your generation used them in grade school and grew up with them; my generation started the revolution but still to this day there are many folks my age who are computer illiterate.

I guess I was about your age when I first opened a clinic to do Taoist Medicine.

I doubt too many of the folks here remember compuserve and 300 baud modems.

I think of myself as a latecomer - worked with a Unix system starting '82, but didn't get online with my own PC until '93. Managed the natural medicine forum on CompuServe, where it was a thrill to do real-time chats IF your 300 baud connection didn't bump you every 5 minutes!

Then the latest buzz was the thing called the world wide web. I checked it out, but didn't find anything too interesting. Oh well. :lol:

There used to be a TV program called ( I think) the prisoner.

His "catch phrase" was "I am not a number".

The problem with with "facts": I'm 57 , female, British and "characteristics":I'm curious and "behaviours":- I'm talkative - are not all that we are or have been or even what we wish to be.

By not revealing "facts" we are "free" to create a personna that is more in tune with who we want to be.

On the other hand hiding behind a curtain of secrecy might indicate that we have something to hide or are merely being dense, provocative or simply to lazy to care about the feelings and perspectives of others.

I would rather believe that most people were good and trustworthy and be disappointed now and then than live in the expectation that everyone was a lying good-for nothing ..

So back to the question (sorry for the ramble) I'm 57 I started using the internet in 1973 ( before it was the beast it is now) I used to be a computer whiz kid ( punched card, paper tape will explain it for those old enough to know) .

I passed my psychology at 50 and I took up tai chi at 49 and created a web site to share what I was learning

( www.everyday-taichi.com ) and did I mention I was curious?..

Hope that this helps make it easier to talk to me

Its always nice to hear more about the people chatting, its nice to meet you. :)

Those apples were pretty amazing at the time. I was involved in the whole computer revolution; but never saw one until engineering school and that was a mainframe where we had to punch out cards to be read into the system. The micro revolution was a really amazing thing.
Ha, were you an engineer too? Always seems to be more of us than I would suspect...

So, how did you transition from engineering into ascension and medical qigong? Did you ever actually work as an engineer for a while?

Ha, were you an engineer too? Always seems to be more of us than I would suspect...

So, how did you transition from engineering into ascension and medical qigong? Did you ever actually work as an engineer for a while?

Yes, I did work as an engineer. My specialty was electromagnetic fields and acoustics. Did graduate school courses in optics / acoustics / quantum mechanics / solar thermal / etc but kept changing programs and never got graduate degree. Easy transition from wave/electromagnetic/quantum theory to wave/electromagnetic/quantum practical applications, which is what I consider medical qigong to be.

When I went to engineering school, all we had were the big mainframes, and PDP-7/11 mini-computers, slide rules instead of calculators. :)

I had already graduated before I saw a PDP-11 mini. The company I worked for bought me one - something like several million bucks at the time. Can you imagine? Now we have more computing horsepower in our phones.

I'm 19. :)

It's a lot better than 15 was, let me tell you.

EDIT: A few posts up, taichilady talks about Everyday-taichi.com.

Oddly, that's where I first ever tried taichi. It linked me to Chikung-unlimited, which is where I first learned of energy.

This was about two weeks before I joined this site, which I found through a link in Trunk's site, which I found linked somewhere else.

Weird to see it all come sort of full circle.

Edited by Capital

Weird to see it all come sort of full circle.

Not really so wierd when you think about it. The primary flow of Tao is reversion and cycles.

Peace & Love!

I'm kinda happy Taoism has stayed on the fringes. There are some big names pushing it though like Wayne Dyer. Lets just hope Madonna and Brittany Spears stay away from it! :blink:

lol

I dunno man, Brittany Spears "whoops, I think I did it again, I made you believe the Dao you perceived, was to be believed".

Madonna: "Like a Daoist, touched for the very first time.......like a Dao ow ow ist..... with your microcosmic orbit, close to mine.....".

By the way, every time I see your screen name 'DarinHamel' I think of 'Daryl Hannah', is it only me?

Guest artform

Hi All!

62, almost finished my 63rd year and celebrating soon, therefore voted 63-67. Therefore about another quarter century to go before falling off this scale! :lol:

Really fascinating curve to the demographic here. Amazed by the huge growth here in the last year and a half, even from the beginning. Another curve. Thinking. Will comment/question more later...

Your thoughts on who and why? Or too anti-way?

best all of all ages

artform

Edited by artform