ऋषि

“Magic isn’t good or evil. It just is.” Welcome to The Hermetic Order of the Blue Rose

Posted (edited)
Still missing Teen Wolf nearly two full years after it wrapped on MTV? Wish you didn’t have to wait months for new episodes of The Chilling Adventures Of Sabrina? Well, Netflix has heard your prayers and responded with The Order, the weirdo young adult supernatural drama you didn’t know you needed to while away the (hopefully) last few cold weather weekends of the year.
However, with witches and werewolves aplenty in this streaming series, The Order is in serious need of explanation, even after you’ve watched all 10 episodes.
Technically the brand-new Netflix show, which premiered March 7, is about Jack Morton (Jake Manley), a college freshman obsessed with joining the Hermetic Order Of The Blue Rose, a secret society at the fictional, elite Belgrave University. Jack and his grandpa Pete “Pops” Morton (Matt Frewer) clearly believe the Blue Rose is a regular old organization of high-powered skullduggery like the Skull And Bones society at Yale or Dear White People’s Order Of X. The Mortons, a working class family, hope Belgrave’s secret society will open up doors for townie Jack. If you go into The Order knowing its titular order is actually a cadre of magicians — as all promotional materials and the premiere’s cold open announces — it’s excessively easy to forget Jack has no idea he’s stumbling into many supernatural conspiracies.

All of that changes for Jack by the end of the first episode, “Hell Week, Part One,” when he witnesses a group of Order members playing around with necromancy. And, if Jack has any questions about whether something otherworldly is really afoot at Belgrave, the premiere-closing appearance of a massive werewolf banishes all doubts.
The addition of werewolves is what gives The Order its focus and a way to separate itself from Netflix sibling Sabrina, which already has a group of dubious-at-best witches its lead probably shouldn't trust. Here, Belgrave’s other secret order, the Knights Of Saint Christopher, are a group of werewolves sworn to fight dark magic. The Blue Rose’s powered machinations keep setting off the Knight’s wolf-y senses, so it seems these witches aren’t as good as they want Jack and his witch peer mentor-love interest Alyssa (Sarah Grey) to believe.

Edited by ऋषि
to appease the matrix

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

I tried it.

Between the writing and the acting... It lacked gravity for me to get passed the first few scenes.

me too.  was looking for something Buffy-like, but The Order didn't do it for me.

I'd love to fall for a provocative old series with lots of seasons, but the last show I fell for was Community, a light comedy. 

Edited by thelerner

25 minutes ago, thelerner said:

me too.  was looking for something Buffy-like, but The Order didn't do it for me.

I'd love to fall for a provocative old series with lots of seasons, but the last show I fell for was Community, a light comedy. 

I really enjoyed watching The Rook (bbc) on Prime...  clever writing and great acting.

I spent five years working on Community.  It was one of those rare special crews and casts that really resonated with me.

Chevy and I developed a fun friendship over the years... he was constantly prowling for folks who liked to play.  He's 10x more obtuse, challenging and insane off camera.  God I miss giving him shit!

Never watched the show though.

• Like 1

I'd also highly recommend Thelma (Swedish production).

One of the best depictions of a young woman coming into her power (literally, as she's got mutant abilities).  But it's completely understated.  It was awesome.

One thing I've noted and dearly appreciate in European productions, is that they are not quite as manic as American filming is these days.  They allow stories to progress without 'dire consequences' at every turn.  They give the story and characters 'space' to develop.  The tension is there, but often the darkest aspects of the story are implied, not shown outright.  They don't have to mangle the senses with overly graphic depictions to titillate.

Theater is the art of Imagination, in the end... it works best when we allow the audience to participate.

Posted (edited)

Borrrrrrrr -  ring !

This is what is happening nowaday. I was talking about it to new neighbour just the other day . 

Peeps get all excited about some type of movie  .... about something , when they could actually do 'the something' themselves '

Peeps get all excited about some     guy that knew some famous teacher / instructor ,  and want to read about him. when they could go see and study under  that teacher / instructor themselves .

As I said to neighbour  (we where discussing the viability and value of the initiation process - he has two sons  )  " Not too many years back, there where interesting things , groups and people about , one might see an advert or notice with something on it about  Magick, Wicca, Hermetics ... even 'Illuminati'      and if you followed it up, you might meet a new interesting far out or crazy group and people,  events, happenings, study nights ,  workshops, whatever .   ( Those 'Pan -Pacific Pagan Alliance'  events  where abso effen crazy !  Loved it !  - everything from huge beltaine / maypole events , costume, ritual, oration, musicians , dancers in well organised ritual  celebration  through to ' picnics '  ... wanna come to a Pan Pacific Pagan Alliance Picnic ?    :D ).

Now (and in recent years ) I see a poster with  an interesting symbol, or the words hermetic or illuminati  (once even "Higher Knowledge' ) ,  and then look further into it, they are advertising a 'dance party' . No more content than a 'catchy theme'  .... I got the t-shirt  ... but I have no idea what the symbol on it means    :unsure:

What a load of fake shit !  

And some people cant even manage to write a post ... they just fill their posts with quotes from other sources , without even a comment from them selves .

Such is life  (nowadays)

Edited by Nungali
  • Thanks 1

I found the Sabrina show frustrating and odd because, while on the whole it was a train wreck, it had enough occasional moments of brilliance to keep me watching.

As for this Order show... some things you can just dismiss by watching the trailer. Modern pop culture is merciful like that in that, if something looks garbage on the outside, it most assuredly is.

It is incredibly rare that a show using occult themes will be written by people who know or care about the occult to any extent beyond just mining it for cool looking symbols. The only reason Buffy succeeded as a show is because Whedon and the other writers know how to write hilarious dialogue and lovable characters. Their cultural frames of reference are clearly limited to TV and comic books, though, and the world-building is shallow.

One occult themed show that impressed me was Penny Dreadful- the first two seasons anyway. The people writing that obviously actually enjoy reading Shelley, Stoker, Milton, etc even as they have fun with it. That is depressingly rare these days.

• Thanks 1

But what about real life ?   (I dont mean the  vampire and werewolf stuff  fiction stuff )  Or is it all just 'shows' now .

This very forum (esoteric and occult )   shows it ; look at the posting and subject matter a few years back, going backwards .

Now compare that to the  last couple of years . 

What would mysticism and the occult be without werewolves and vampires?  Its calling card is the supernatural, even though its aim is practical materialism with a working spirituality.  I think the end game of these mystery traditions is Law, and the supernatural stuff is the draw (and distraction) from what its real intention should be, if not actually is.  Kids and their imaginations I guess.  Certainly gives motive to do weird stuff.

• Confused 2