moment

Martial Arts demonstrations gone wrong

:)

I like the ones where they blame the others for not holding the target object right .

Anyone like to buy a ' telemarket sword'  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

In the old days, in europe, they tested the swords with both bending and chopping tests. 

I guess that is not how it is done today. 

Wait! 

Does that mean that my full collection of Conan swords are useless in combat? 😠

Darn. 

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

Does that mean that my full collection of Conan swords are useless in combat?

It means that you didn't get the Riddle of Steel either.

• Haha 3

14 hours ago, Cleansox said:

In the old days, in europe, they tested the swords with both bending and chopping tests. 

Wait! 

Darn. 

One of the adverts ;  '' $60 'Mushashi Ninja Sword' - Is it worth it ? "

Oh sure ! 

:)

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Cleansox said:

Wait! 

Darn. 

That depends ..... I have a crazy huge 'Conan style ' sword blank  '  ,( blunt with no handle ever fitted ) , I even pared down some of the crazy stuff , like the claws holding clear marbles  :D   that someone made for me  ..... but it is made out of the steel from one of the old saw mill blades from the old abandoned  Boggy Creek Mill , that a friend bought out .    It can cut bricks and concrete blocks in half , doent even leave a mark on it ( that you cant wipe off ) .

So .... dont come at me with concrete or brick amour on !

• Like 1

ANY  'demo' by Steven Segal .  :)

Gene LeBell responded in an interview to a question about Segal saying he could not be choked out ;   ' ..... I got the choke on .... and since he cant be choked , I guess he got tired becasue then he decided to have a nap . Also, he must have forgotten to go to the toilet before  as he decided to that now  as well . "

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Nungali said:

ANY  'demo' by Steven Segal .  :)

Gene LeBell responded in an interview to a question about Segal saying he could not be choked out ;   ' ..... I got the choke on .... and since he cant be choked , I guess he got tired becasue then he decided to have a nap . Also, he must have forgotten to go to the toilet before  as he decided to that now  as well . "

My uncle took lessons from Steve Segal before he was famous. He says the guy acted like a movie star even then and his "lessons" basically consisted of showing off his own alleged prowess by knocking around the students.

On 6/28/2020 at 6:07 PM, moment said:

Why choke holds are so controversial.

It's pretty intense the first time the lights go out...

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, steve said:

It's pretty intense the first time the lights go out...

Yeah, the first time it happened to me, I was still in my teens.  Panicked the hell out of me!

• Like 1

No video but I’ll share a martial misadventure. I made my first pair of nunchaku around age 14 and taught myself some moves. I got pretty good with the little buggers. One day I was really in the groove in my back yard, missed an over the shoulder flip, whacked myself hard in the jaw and knocked myself flat on my back. It was a great lesson in their effectiveness! 

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, moment said:

Yeah, the first time it happened to me, I was still in my teens.  Panicked the hell out of me!

Mine was a standing knockout .... spinning heel kick to the temple .... Ooooo  pretty !  Stars and swirls everywhere .... then I had a nice lie down .  I woke up to others laughing at me explaining how i had staggered around for a bit .

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, steve said:

No video but I’ll share a martial misadventure. I made my first pair of nunchaku around age 14 and taught myself some moves. I got pretty good with the little buggers. One day I was really in the groove in my back yard, missed an over the shoulder flip, whacked myself hard in the jaw and knocked myself flat on my back. It was a great lesson in their effectiveness! 

I remember that sickening sound coming from the back of class .

Teacher   (cups his hand to ear ) " Aha! The sound of Japanese wood on Aussie bone ! "

That reminds me ; I once defeated teacher unarmed against him with nuncuks , fortunately these where the plastic ones . After class he advanced on me  twirling them ; "Lets see how you go against this ! "

Me;  " No ... get away! " <backs off , flings an arm out in a stupid defensive motion >   but somehow, fluke ! My hand hit the end of the stick he was holding, stopping its movement  and causing the other stick to whip around and the end caught him under the jaw . "

Him < astonished >  " How did you do that! "

Me < bluffing >  ; " Secret move !  And let that be  lesson to ya ! "

• Haha 3

I remember 2 sword demos gone wrong .  Stupid karate people that thought they could use a sword ;

first was with a cheap 'wall sword' .  The guy goes to cut something , flings the sword up first and the blade fliers off  the handle, over his head and lands somewhere back in the audience .

The second was some guys in my Sikiran club  ( what makes them think they could use a katana ? :huh: ) . One says he can cut a watermelon on his brothers stomach and stop in time so he doesnt cut him .

(yeah , you can guess .....   :D )

The cut didnt  go through the last bit of skin and the melon was hanging there , it would look better if both halves fell off either side of the guy lying down, so he gave it a little slice at the end .   The other thought the same thing and flexed his stomach up thinking that would cause the last remaining bit to separate ... at the same time .

=   about 20 stitches across his stomach , fortunately  just through the skin .

I remember going  to do an aikido demo once , when we got there it was a gravel  car park and someone forgot to bring the mats . The demo didnt actually go wrong .... the wrong part was afterwards .

• Like 1

On 6/30/2020 at 3:50 PM, Nungali said:

I remember 2 sword demos gone wrong .  Stupid karate people that thought they could use a sword ;

first was with a cheap 'wall sword' .  The guy goes to cut something , flings the sword up first and the blade fliers off  the handle, over his head and lands somewhere back in the audience .

The second was some guys in my Sikiran club  ( what makes them think they could use a katana ? :huh: ) . One says he can cut a watermelon on his brothers stomach and stop in time so he doesnt cut him .

(yeah , you can guess .....   :D )

The cut didnt  go through the last bit of skin and the melon was hanging there , it would look better if both halves fell off either side of the guy lying down, so he gave it a little slice at the end .   The other thought the same thing and flexed his stomach up thinking that would cause the last remaining bit to separate ... at the same time .

=   about 20 stitches across his stomach , fortunately  just through the skin .

I remember going  to do an aikido demo once , when we got there it was a gravel  car park and someone forgot to bring the mats . The demo didnt actually go wrong .... the wrong part was afterwards .

I thought the next two would be fun for you!

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, moment said:

I thought the next two would be fun for you!

seen it before , a good one though ,  black uniform guy started out as tool ;   got told the others name and he 'Whatever "   WTF .

the other guy reminded me of myself at Aikido; I wouldnt resist but I wouldnt take a dive for them . some thought  the other is supposed to take a dive.  hence ..... Aikido 'demonstration'  :),   some instructors hated that , others, it didnt matter , and they did their technique easily on me  .  

• Like 2

Here is Dillman self confessing his fakery (and a whole lot of others ! )  and also admitting he had a real chance  with a real master * but never followed it up .... he went down a very strange path instead .

*  Hohan Soken  is   3   back in my style's linage  through Ted Lange - who settled in Australia  (ie, my instructor's teacher was  Ted  and Ted was a student of  Hohan Soken .   see      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hohan_Sōken  - 'students' . )

• Like 1

I should include this  here   ( copied from 'what made me laugh')

Me at training today 

This young woman  turns up , watches a bit and  asks us what we are doing . The she says she is looking for something new to do she did kung fu /  wushu but moved  away from that area to this one .  So me and instructor start showing (off) her some stuff on each other , I go watch this and zoom in from long range to punch him , .... sliiiiiip .... skid .... splits ..... streeetch  ... owww and land on my  balls .

:D  

( my excuse ;  I had new shoes and the grass was wet ) .

[ It didnt seem to put her off  , she followed us back to town, had coffee with us, insisted she was coming next week,  rings me later and asks if she can start tomorrow, turns up at my place for  a 3 hour lesson  (  read that again folks .... someone said they where coming for a lesson   and actually turned up when they said they would ! )   and bought lunch .    Goodness !  Whats the world coming to !  ]

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

.....  gotta go and get some good training shoes ,

- I often go barefoot, but the other week in the park, there was a big burn spot from a fire and some broken beer bottles about  . I spent a bit of time picking glass out the grass but   , one cant be sure .

• Like 1