waterdrop

Why Cold waters/ice cream effect the lower dantian ?

Does cold water effect the lower dantian ?  does ice cream  effect it ?   how it effects it , in what way  ?   and how much it effects it (is it a big effect or minor one you can ignore)  ?

also lets say cold water can really cool your body  but  some ice creams lets say a Popsicle  can get pretty warm before it really enters your throat - so does it really have a significant effect?

Edited by waterdrop

Cold water && Ice cream? = yes;

Effect = bad;

How much = quite a bit;

Ignore = unwise;

popsicle -> warm? = no;

In human speech: don't ignore it if you want to get anywhere, it's just general health advice too, if you get sensitive enough, it's perfectly obvious why.

• Like 4

'Humans' are golems, so these effects would apply post-animation

38 minutes ago, Piyadasi said:

Cold water && Ice cream? = yes;

Effect = bad;

How much = quite a bit;

Ignore = unwise;

popsicle -> warm? = no;

In human speech: don't ignore it if you want to get anywhere, it's just general health advice too, if you get sensitive enough, it's perfectly obvious why.

Its effect is cause the cold reach the ldt area (intestines?)  and than causes qi to move slower there which makes it harder to make changes to the ldt  ? 

would add also a question about frozen food that we reheat   (frozen vegetables mainly)   are they considered cold in some way or effect ? 

Freezes the digestive system up a bit, so one part of your insides is down. The LDT isn't really a thing in this regard, but I guess the answer is a yes if you want to know if it's a good idea to drink cold water and eat ice cream.

My water filter sits at room temperature, not in my fridge.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Rara said:

Freezes the digestive system up a bit, so one part of your insides is down. The LDT isn't really a thing in this regard, but I guess the answer is a yes if you want to know if it's a good idea to drink cold water and eat ice cream.

My water filter sits at room temperature, not in my fridge.

Nice, what's ur Bazi chart sayin'? I sense strong elements

10 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Its effect is cause the cold reach the ldt area (intestines?)  and than causes qi to move slower there which makes it harder to make changes to the ldt  ? 

would add also a question about frozen food that we reheat   (frozen vegetables mainly)   are they considered cold in some way or effect ? 

I can feel the negative effects way before it hits the intestines. Basically an unpleasant contraction and a sting of cold in the stomach. You don't really want that obviously. Cold is contractile in quality and yes it sort of slows Qi movement/healthy functioning etc., as far as I understand, but someone with more knowledge could give you more details. Basically, why would you want food that almost just gives you negative amounts of energy(in the case of extremely cold, like ice cream)? This actually becomes less important later on I think, but in the early stages especially the LDT area is fragile and you want to support it with every little gimmick possible. Drink warm water if possible after practice, that will promote circulation and relaxation in areas that might have been a bit roughed up by the work you did.

I would imagine frozen food, even if warming in quality before, gets a bit 'coldified' - if you reheat it, maybe almost re-cook it? I wouldn't worry about it too much, you want to eat fresh if possible, otherwise just heat the life out of it.

• Like 4

Basically, why would you want food that almost just gives you negative amounts of energy

why do you say it gives a negative amount of qi ? because of the contraction and sting feeling ?    does that feeling somehow make you think it drains qi or something like that ?

11 hours ago, mark said:

Nice, what's ur Bazi chart sayin'? I sense strong elements

I think I need a master to explain it because it's not something I can read.

4 hours ago, Piyadasi said:

I would imagine frozen food, even if warming in quality before, gets a bit 'coldified' - if you reheat it, maybe almost re-cook it? I wouldn't worry about it too much, you want to eat fresh if possible, otherwise just heat the life out of it.

I still hold frozen spinach, edameme beans etc. Option 1, always fresh, option 2, there's frozen veg for if fresh is out and I don't have time to pick any up. But yeah, just wok fry it, no harm in that imo.

It's all better than microwaved lasagne, either way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, waterdrop said:

why do you say it gives a negative amount of qi ? because of the contraction and sting feeling ?    does that feeling somehow make you think it drains qi or something like that ?

Cold is to Heat like, -1 is to 1, if that makes any sense... You can also explain it like this: digestion needs warmth, happens in warmth, if you eat cold food, it's inevitable that it has to be warmed up by the body and that warmth is sucked from the body into the food, now you need more fuel to produce that warmth back up again. What if instead you eat warm food full of Qi (food gets more Qi from the cooking process, if I recall correctly too)? You get added warmth and added Qi, you don't have to produce that yourself just to be able to digest that food. Arguably cooking is also something like a semi-digestion, so less effort needed again, the whole process is more efficient.

Being warm is 'life' being cold is 'death' - sort of... Think also of cold blooded animals, how much activity and 'life' they are able to produce as opposed to warm blooded animals.

Might not be putting it perfectly, just my 2 cents.

44 minutes ago, Rara said:

I still hold frozen spinach, edameme beans etc. Option 1, always fresh, option 2, there's frozen veg for if fresh is out and I don't have time to pick any up. But yeah, just wok fry it, no harm in that imo.

It's all better than microwaved lasagne, either way

I agree.

• Like 3

@Piyadasi  Great replies  , even partial answers are good  (and defintly better than full nonsense replies)  ,  from the replies i get from everyone on this forum (and the internet in general and books , teachers etc)  take all good info i can and act as much as i can based on it

Thats why i ask many questions (that some users in this forum are annoyed by the amount and the fact i repeat them with different (but important) variations and see it as nitpicking)     like me wanting to get how much of an effect different stuff have  ( how bad it is i dont eat the vegetable a second after its picked  ...   or a year after its picked)  or to understand why stuff is recommended 

Another example is the drinking warm water which at winter time i do a lot even without connection to qigong  (just warm water to warm up  - i wonder if tea  no sugar is also good?)       but now at summer time where i live (especially in my house) its really warm and so consuming warm foods make me sweaty and cold ones cool me   -  thats another reason why i try to get as close as possible to understand how much of an effect things have

Edited by waterdrop