Sign in to follow this  
Yoda

Mikey Likes it!

Up until he fired Kevin Rooney in 1988, his ONLY diet was steak, pasta and fruit juice. How's that for discipline?

Daily Regime (7 days a week):

5am: get up and go for a 3 mile jog

6am: come back home shower and go back to bed (great workout for those huge legs of his)

10am wake up: eat oatmeal

12pm: do ring work (10 rounds of sparring)

2pm: have another meal (steak and pasta with fruit juice drink)

3pm: more ring work and 60 mins on the exercise bike (again working those huge legs for endurance)

5pm: 2000 sit-ups; 500-800 dips; 500 press-ups; 500 shrugs with a 30kg barbell and 10 mins of neck exercises

7pm: steak and pasta meal again with fruit juice (orange i think it was)

8pm: another 30 minutes on the exercise bike

then watch TV and then go to bed.

(Before jogging in the morning he did a lot of stretching followed by 10 jumps onto boxes and 10 bursts of sprints, then he went jogging. At 12pm he sparred. At 3pm he did focus mitt work or heavy bag work inside the ring. He warmed up for all ring work with light exercises such as skipping or shadow boxing or speed ball. At 5pm Tyson did 10 quick circuits, each circuit consisting of: 200 sit-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 press-ups, then 25-40 dips, then 50 shrugs, followed by 10 mins of neck work on the floor. What an animal! Tyson said that the shrugs "built his shoulders up" to help unleash punches with his short arms whilst at the same time building endurance in the neck. It should be noted though that Tyson couldn't do any more than 50 sit-ups a day and 50 press-ups a day when he was 13, but gradually increasing the reps each week got him to a higher level over many years, so that he was doing 2000 sit-ups inside 2 hours every day by the time he was 20.)

Mike told Ian Durke (Sky commentator) his above workout regime when he visited England to watch a Frank Bruno fight in March 1987. Durke told Mike that Bruno trained like a bodybuilder and asked Mike about this, but Mike said that floor exercises and natural exercises work better. Mike explained that his punch-power comes from nothing more than heavy bag work "works your strength through the hips" he said, despite doing shrugs with a barbell he said that lifting weights has about as much resemblance to punching as "cheesecake" (contradicting himself though due to doing shrugs). But his mentor Cus D'Amato realised that, due to Tyson's style, he needed punch-power (not that he didn't have it naturally anyway). So Cus got Mike very heavy bags to hit for a 13 yr old, and Cus gradually increased the weight of the bags Tyson used over time so that by the age of 18-19 Tyson was banging bags that no other man could budge! Also, Cus used to order Tyson to go jog 3 miles with 50lbs on his back because he didn't want Mike growing any taller (because it didn't suit his style)!

There will never be another Tyson, he has the quickest ever knockout in amateur history (6 seconds or something stupid) at the junior olympics in 1981, then he became the youngest ever heavyweight champion of the world (20 years old, 1986). It's a shame that a number of events caused his downfall - Jimmy Jacobs dying, falling out with Bill Cayton, firing Kevin Rooney, Don King entering his life, Desiree Washington messing his head up, etc. But let's not forget that Iron Mike saved a dying sport!

Sometimes the heavy steak eating is to get cattle processed steroids. Really, eat enough steak and you eat what they ate, steroids. You get bigger more aggressive and shouldn't expect a real long life.

Peas

Michael

well, we're lovers not fighters... but still good to know about!

Speak for yourself! i am going to be back rockin' and rollin' BJJ this week. Althout on some sunconscious level it's probably still just something to make me look more powerful and cool to chicks.

Or in case I ever meet RJ in person I can choke him out :lol:

Yeah, that's what it is... we all like feeling strong and vital, but that's about where we call off the dogs.

Know the light but stick with the dark...

-Yoda

"I normally don't do interviews with women unless I fornicate with them. So you shouldn't talk anymore... Unless you want to, you know."

-tyson

Tyson lives in Phx full time now. He was on local news this morning getting interviewed. Pretty interesting. He seems to have really gotten humble with age. He talked about how he loves Az because the weather helps keep his weight down. On the east coast where it's cold he said he "stays indoors all the time and eats twinkies".

Interesting to here he has a weight problem. I always thought of Mike as a chiseled warrior that was always ripped but he said when he is not training for a fight he baloons up to 290 lbs(Alot for 5'11" guy) and living in Phoenix helps motivate him to stay outdoors and training.

Another intersting point is how he said his bones have gotten weak with age. One of the major weaknessses of modern elite athletes like Tyson is extreme emphasis on physical training to the point of exhaustion and little or probably no internal qigong practice to strengthen the bones and increase jing.

He said he feels like his bones are brittle and not very strong. Amazing, externally he is very muscular and strong looking but to a knowledgable qigong or chinese medicine person he probably has depleted his jing. My guess is Mike didn't practice retention over the years with the many women he had.

Anyway, if I see him around town I'll suggest he take up qigong.

Just saw Tyson get beaten by a virtual nobody in the boxing world. Sad stuff . Mike said this was his last fight and he was only fighting to pay bills. He stopped enjoying it in 1990.

Something about watching this guy who used to be so fast, so strong, and had such a strong heart/courage get beat up by a guy he would have killed in the first round when he was champion that seems very dharma to me..

I wish all the best to Mike and wish him luck in his future life. People were throwing things at him as he was walking to his dressing room. Damn that must have been hard.

How old is he? Maybe you can teach him retention and he can have a dramatic comeback like Foreman did.

-Yoda

Hmmn, wishing Tyson well. If I did, it would show I was a better person, but I don't. Pissing away 10's of millions, the rape charge, the bitings, the mao tatoo. :rolleyes:

He had more chances then he deserved. From caring father figure trainers to hollywood wives. He chose the Don King life and lifestyle.

For what its worth he'll probably never miss another meal. <_<

Peas

Michael

He had more chances then he deserved. From caring father figure trainers to hollywood wives. He chose the Don King life and lifestyle.

straw dogs.....

How old is he?  Maybe you can teach him retention and he can have a dramatic comeback like Foreman did.

-Yoda

4458[/snapback]

He said he is done fighting .but if I see him around town I'll let him know B)

I think he needs fusion more than anything though..he looked like he was having an emotional/nervous breakdown last night on the stool.

Cam

I like Mike. I like the other Mike on trial right now. I like Mikes in general. -Y

Sign in to follow this