Recommended Posts

Any suggestions for beginner reading about the Sri Chakra? (Hopefully with less Sanskrit)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To learn Sri Vidya you have to find a genuine teacher. Usually, they are to be found in South India and teachers don't just take on students. The student needs to be qualified (spiritually) in order to learn. 

 

If you just want to read about it, this book seems to have some good reviews. I've not read it personally, but at 10$ on kindle, I won't hesitate to get it. 

 

https://www.amazon.com/UNDERSTANDING-WORSHIPING-SRI-CHAKRA-RAVI-ebook/dp/B00GPI3OPO/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=sri+vidya+books&qid=1592443602&sr=8-2

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the suggestion @dwai

The book seems to be have more details and reviews than the websites I have been searching. Am not sure how far I'll understand but will give it a read. I was looking for a more Osho-like explanation.

 

Just curious:

Is someone's lineage or initiation related to their past life or can the tradition we move into our present life deviate from our past lives?

Also, why is it more prevalent in South India, thought that it was practiced throughout - does it come from a specific tradition?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Bhathen said:

Thank you for the suggestion @dwai

The book seems to be have more details and reviews than the websites I have been searching. Am not sure how far I'll understand but will give it a read. I was looking for a more Osho-like explanation.

I’ll try to keep an eye out for that kind of material and post here. 

44 minutes ago, Bhathen said:

 

Just curious:

Is someone's lineage or initiation related to their past life or can the tradition we move into our present life deviate from our past lives?

I think in some cases it is. In some cases it isn’t. Usually when someone has reached a high enough level in one of the spiritual lineages but hasn’t completed the realization they might come back to the same (or similar) tradition. 

44 minutes ago, Bhathen said:

Also, why is it more prevalent in South India, thought that it was practiced throughout - does it come from a specific tradition?

 

South India had become the bastion of Hindu culture and spiritual knowledge in historic times due to Islamic invasions wreaking havoc in north India. So traditional knowledge was better preserved there. 
 

Also there are hubs of Sri Vidya practitioners in the south. I’ve not heard of similar ones in the north. But it could just be that I don’t know...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

@dwai  Your answers have provided very helpful insights.

 Maybe I am trying to seek an understanding of the path traversed.

 

 

Edited by Bhathen
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 2:27 PM, Bhathen said:

I'll go with Subhash Kak's works any day. I've read his works for many years now. But I don't know if he has a direct practitioner's understanding of Sri Vidya. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites