waterdrop

Best isolation of feet from earth material ?

As i asked before about the need for isolation when training in qigong  and got the reply we need to isolate or else the yang qi  escapes to the earth (  the yin qi moves freely and that is what should happen)  and that you still  get benefit from training barefoot on the ground you lose some of the effectiveness (if i remeber was told something like 15%) 

...  So  the question is  what is a good isolation material  - what works what not :

How thick the material should be ?        ( 0.0001 cm / 0.1 cm  /  0.5 cm /  1 cm  / 2 cm  / 5 cm / 10 cm  ) 

What material it should be ?         ( rubber ?  cotton  ? )

Are shoes good ?    are tai chi shoes good ?  are slippers good ?   

Are socks good enough ?     what about really  old socks that are worn out  - can they work too ?

A bed sheet on the floor  -  a very thin one (is it too thin?) ?     

A bed sheet folded a few times ?

Can i use a towel i have    ?   or is a towel  too stimulating on the feet   so in that sense it takes off your mind from inside your body ? 

* Where i live its warm  -  if anything i go barefoot  just to cool a tiny bit , the house tiles which are granite porcelain are ab it cool   - but if i stand in place after a few seconds where i stand will be warm as well

(  I ask about material for isolation but if someone wants to say his views  about the subject of isolation its great as well -  about the need for isolation ,  about how it effects us ,  about how much it effects our practice etc)

Edited by waterdrop

1 hour ago, waterdrop said:

As i asked before about the need for isolation when training in qigong  and got the reply we need to isolate or else the yang qi  escapes to the earth (  the yin qi moves freely and that is what should happen)  and that you still  get benefit from training barefoot on the ground you lose some of the effectiveness (if i remeber was told something like 15%) 

...  So  the question is  what is a good isolation material  - what works what not :

How thick the material should be ?        ( 0.0001 cm / 0.1 cm  /  0.5 cm /  1 cm  / 2 cm  / 5 cm / 10 cm  ) 

Are socks good enough ?     what about really  old socks that are worn out  - can they work too ?

Can i use a towel i have    ?   or is a towel  too stimulating on the feet   so in that sense it takes off your mind from inside your body ? 

* Where i live its warm  -  if anything i go barefoot  just to cool a tiny bit , the house tiles which are granite porcelain are ab it cool   - but if i stand in place after a few seconds where i stand will be warm as well

(  I ask about material for isolation but if someone wants to say his views  about the subject of isolation its great as well -  about the need for isolation ,  about how it effects us ,  about how much it effects our practice etc)

It matters so much, on where your emotional and energy balance is at the time.  Too much energy? stuck energy? Feeling too aggressive? Great anxiety? Then barefoot for awhile is best, until you cool down( go more yin).

Feelling too passive? cold? depressed? Then 1-2 centimeters of rubber should be fine.  You feel balanced, fine? on top of the world!

Then whatever feels best is great!

Edited by moment
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Your thinking is very systematic and scientific based.  However I think the "ground" or "earth" are equally important.  Is it the same if you stand on the earth? or ground with basement/cave below?  or you are at 60th floor high up?   Wearing of shoes/socks is only half of the story. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, waterdrop said:

Interesting. 

My impression was that the problem was the other way around, that we need more connection to the ground and that isolation from the ground was the problem. 

But 😎, continue. 

Industry grade rubber used for dampening vibrations, inside a Faradays Cage, that would do the trick. 

• Haha 1

Some meditation systems like Max Christenson's Kunlun recommended people practice using an animal skin below them, for that kind of isolation.  I got a small cheap sheep skin rug from IKea.  Don't know about its isolation properties but its warm and natural.  I'll usually keep it under my zafu with my knees in contact with it.  (Or the balls of my feet if I'm doing the Kunlun art)

On the other hand I also like meditating in nature.  On the earth.  My favorite being on an old tree stump, facing a stream, river or lake. 

Edited by thelerner
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

What about a grounding wire? 😁

I've heard good things about the aneros.    <kdding>    mostly

• Haha 1