waterdrop

drinking water with food - bad ? why ? how bad is it ?

Maybe the idea of hot water being good came from the tiger stoves that were needed because drinking cold, unboiled, infected water would be more likely to carry diseases like cholera? Maybe? Maybe we can be spontaneous and change our thinking and not be stuck in the dogma of people who knew less than we do?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

Dog. Eating, drinking, then eating again. Someone save him! But what do I know, I am a dummy like this dog!

The dog isn't eating food though.  The dog is eating something created for commercial profit and consumer convenience that has nothing in common with what canines actually eat in nature.  It is dehydrated, see.  Dry dog food.  The dog is trying to compensate for the water extracted from his food.  If I was to eat all my food in this desiccated state, I would also drink water with it.  So would you and I would only applaud the effort.

I propose leaving it at that.  I was answering OP's question with information and certain free-style musings around it, to the best of my humble ability based, however, on being pretty well equipped to answer it meaningfully.  I 'm not trying to win an argument here and I believe you would do great if you stopped shooting toward that ephemeral and worthless goal at this point.  That would leave us hope to have a more compelling (for me personally) conversation on some other subject sometime in the future.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

20 hours ago, Taomeow said:

I drink coffee long before I eat anything first thing in the morning -- with an obligatory glass of water (coffee is drying, so is tea but to a lesser extent).      

Yes, I always have a water with coffee! I'm trying to not drink it at the moment though, I get overloaded quite easily...I'm naturally hot inside.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Taomeow said:

If I was to eat all my food in this desiccated state, I would also drink water with it. 

This explains my biscuit and water habit. Maybe I should stop buying biscuits 🤔

• Like 2

7 hours ago, liminal_luke said:

@Taomeow @freeform

An old Taoist teacher of mine used to recommend a glass of plain hot water first thing in the morning.  Not tea, not coffee, no lemon...just water.  Is this a standard Taoist thing? Recommended?

Yup. I’ve had teachers recommend the same.

In fact a glass of warm water after practice helps to settle the Qi and drive it deeper. You can feel it take place once you’re sensitive enough.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

@Taomeow 

since the above thing  im going to shamelessly tag you   just in case you missed  -  if you saw and just want to ignore for whatver reason  - give my post is a like  ( and if that will happen a few times than i will stop tagging you in genral) 

tagging you for my long post i wrote before -  i wonder if you know the main questions answer  :

so everything that causes liquid to be gelatinous are good ?  the things have an effect only if i consume them in thier gelatinous forum ?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Song of the Dao said:

dumb monkey! Drinking and eating!

Hi Song of the Dao,

There appears a strong correlation between the liquid content of what is being ingested, and the desire/need to drink fluids while eating.

The drier what is being consumed is, the more likely any creature is to drink fluids with or immediately after consumption. As the healthier food choices seem to be those with their natural moisture intact, it may in fact be a good general guideline to not drink while eating, and reconsider food choices if one perpetually finds themselves thirsty while eating.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Hi Song of the Dao,

There appears a strong correlation between the liquid content of what is being ingested, and the desire/need to drink fluids while eating.

The drier what is being consumed is, the more likely any creature is to drink fluids with or immediately after consumption. As the healthier food choices seem to be those with their natural moisture intact, it may in fact be a good general guideline to not drink while eating, and reconsider food choices if one perpetually finds themselves thirsty while eating.

It is one thing to say that dry foods are less healthy, which I would mostly agree with. But it is another thing to advise people not to drink water when they eat, regardless of whether the food has a high moisture content.

In an attempt to turn this discussion in their favor, the "do not drink water with food" camp is now talking about the quality of food.

1 minute ago, silent thunder said:

There's a camp?

Where's the camp?

Did they bring water?

;)

It is a big camp,

and they are hunkered down,

protecting their wealth of knowledge.

Dining on the most moist food

in the middle of a desert.

No water needed!

I hear it kills you anyway!

23 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

It is a big camp,

and they are hunkered down,

protecting their wealth of knowledge.

Dining on the most moist food

in the middle of a desert.

Seemed more “they” were openly sharing what information they had regarding a direct query in the OP for just such information.

Do you have information to add regarding the topic?

23 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

No water needed!

I hear it kills you anyway!

:huh:

Edited by ilumairen
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

Do you have information to add regarding the topic?

No! Why would I engage in such vulgarity? I thought this was a Daoist forum!

In an attempt to turn this discussion in their favor, the "do not drink water with food" camp is now talking about the quality of food.

From the first reply the OP received:

On 6/11/2020 at 1:18 PM, Taomeow said:

The need for water is individual, and differs in each individual too depending on age, climate, weather, baseline health condition, condition of particular organs, with physical exertion or with sedentary lifestyle, foods or medications taken, and so on. 

From the second reply the OP (in this case referring to original poster) received:

On 6/11/2020 at 1:50 PM, ilumairen said:

I would also suggest looking at the qualities of the food you are eating, and how they may contribute to the dynamic. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ilumairen said:

From the first reply the OP received:
From the second reply the OP (in this case referring to original poster) received:

Those are some plump cherries! How about when she said:

"The idea is that you dilute your digestive juices if you drink water with your meals.  Also you tend to underchew your food and just wash it down with water.  Both will impair proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.  Cold water is the worst, in Chinese medicine it is considered to be the surest way to put out your "digestive fire" and render you unable to "cook" the food you're eating."

and

"If thirsty, you quench your thirst before starting your meal.  If the meal was drying, you might drink water sometime after you finished."

and

"To my knowledge, no mammal drinks water while eating.

'A good side' -- not aware of it.  Perhaps if you're more dehydrated than undernourished.  And even in this case it might be better to drink enough water first, eat later."

There, you see, she sees no good side to drinking water while eating. I see no bad side either! But she does, it "impairs digestion"!

All that knowledge, a wealth of knowledge. She has all the wealth! I alone am poor and stupid!

8 hours ago, waterdrop said:

@Taomeow 

since the above thing  im going to shamelessly tag you   just in case you missed  -  if you saw and just want to ignore for whatver reason  - give my post is a like  ( and if that will happen a few times than i will stop tagging you in genral) 

tagging you for my long post i wrote before -  i wonder if you know the main questions answer  :

Thanks for your interesting inquiry.  I hate to do this but I can't participate any further in any thread infested by a troll who currently  decided to stalk me in two simultaneously and shows no intention of slowing down.  I'll have to leave it to him to answer all further questions.  "Don't feed the troll" is my sacred online commandment -- I haven't always followed it 100% but that's the goal I'm shooting for.  My apologies to all innocent bystanders. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Song of the Dao said:

Those are some plump cherries! How about when she said:

"The idea is that you dilute your digestive juices if you drink water with your meals.  Also you tend to underchew your food and just wash it down with water.  Both will impair proper digestion and absorption of nutrients.  Cold water is the worst, in Chinese medicine it is considered to be the surest way to put out your "digestive fire" and render you unable to "cook" the food you're eating."

When the quote starts with “the idea is” it indicates a sharing of what is presented for the reasonings behind what the OP is questioning.

There, you see, she sees no good side to drinking water while eating. I see no bad side either! But she does, it "impairs digestion"!

You are entitled to your opinion.

She has presented reasons for her own - which she is also entitled to.

All that knowledge, a wealth of knowledge. She has all the wealth! I alone am poor and stupid.

• Like 1

Just now, Taomeow said:

Thanks for your interesting inquiry.  I hate to do this but I can't participate any further in any thread infested by a troll who currently  decided to stalk me in two simultaneously and shows no intention of slowing down.  I'll have to leave it to him to answer all further questions.  "Don't feed the troll" is my sacred online commandment -- I haven't always followed it 100% but that's the goal I'm shooting for.  My apologies to all innocent bystanders. 

Do not give yourself any importance by thinking I am stalking you. You are no different than the last 10 gurus that were here who exclaimed their vulgar learning.

And calling me a troll because I disagree with you? Well, here is some talk on that topic:
https://imgflip.com/i/13anlj

2 minutes ago, ilumairen said:

When the quote starts with “the idea is” it indicates a sharing of what is presented for the reasonings behind what the OP is questioning.

You are entitled to your opinion.

She has presented reasons for her own - which she is also entitled to.

But you again you, are picking the cherries. What about:

'A good side' -- not aware of it. 

No comment?

That is great everyone is letting flow their useless opinions. Just why get upset and call me a troll because I share mine? do you see the GAME I was playing with her and everyone else? No? Can you be as playful as a newborn?

Has she changed her mind about whales drinking water, about no mammals drinking when they are eating even though most humans do it?

8 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Conversation is not possible, when one person involved only seeks contention and argument.

I am not seeking arguments, I am merely arguing.  I cannot help it if her arguments are so weak she gave up and called me a troll.

Just now, Song of the Dao said:

I am not seeking arguments, I am merely arguing

yet you saw yourself reflected in my comment...

1 minute ago, Song of the Dao said:

I cannot help it if her arguments are so weak she gave up and called me a troll.

oh boy... so much projection...

where's the spontaneity?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, silent thunder said:

yet you saw yourself reflected in my comment...

oh boy... so much projection...

where's the spontaneity?

Ugh, projection? Really? Ha! Going with that new age trope?

She tapped out and it is my spontaneity that caused it. It was not my intention, I wanted to see if she could roll along with me, but she needs the control.