forestofemptiness

Damo Mitchell Free MCO Course

15 hours ago, dwai said:

What else is the motivation for wanting to go “beyond the beyond”? :) 

Is a river motivated to reach the ocean?

It’s not a motivation… it’s just what happens as you continue to actualise your original spirit through all layers of existence.

At a certain stage you essentially ‘enter the stream’ meaning you’re carried by this process and whether in this lifetime or within the next few you have no real choice in the direction your soul’s path takes.

These attainments are not goals… they’re just markers to indicate what happens along the path of this process.

15 hours ago, dwai said:

after realization

After realisation comes step by step ‘actualisation’. A process that transforms every aspect of who you are at every layer from the material to the spiritual… if that’s where your tradition takes you.

Realisation is not ‘entering the stream’ - it’s much earlier in the process - and for many it’s a big ‘test’ as this is when a portal for the accelerated fruiting of ones deepest karma opens.

The direction your process takes depends largely on the root of the causation chains behind your karma - ignorance, aversion or clinging… (or a combination).

That’s why realisation, in many traditions is considered the start of spiritual cultivation. This is where you can begin to work on dismantling the root of your karmic entanglements… but equally you can easily be carried off by them - particularly if you leave a tradition or don’t have a teacher.

• Like 5

21 minutes ago, freeform said:

It’s not a motivation… it’s just what happens as you continue to actualise your original spirit through all layers of existence.

At a certain stage you essentially ‘enter the stream’ meaning you’re carried by this process and whether in this lifetime or within the next few you have no real choice in the direction your soul’s path takes.

These attainments are not goals… they’re just markers to indicate what happens along the path of this process.

After realisation comes step by step ‘actualisation’. A process that transforms every aspect of who you are at every layer from the material to the spiritual… if that’s where your tradition takes you.

Realisation is not ‘entering the stream’ - it’s much earlier in the process - and for many it’s a big ‘test’ as this is when a portal for the accelerated fruiting of ones deepest karma opens.

The direction your process takes depends largely on the root of the causation chains behind your karma - ignorance, aversion or clinging… (or a combination).

That’s why realisation, in many traditions is considered the start of spiritual cultivation. This is where you can begin to work on dismantling the root of your karmic entanglements… but equally you can easily be carried off by them - particularly if you leave a tradition or don’t have a teacher.

Beautifully put. ❤❤❤

• Like 1

1 hour ago, freeform said:

I'm not convinced that there is a single, universal "map" of spiritual awakening. Even within Buddhism, terms such as realization differs from tradition to tradition. And within each tradition there are variants. For example, per the Pali Canon, "entering the stream" usually means breaking the first three fetters: belief in a self, doubt in the Buddhist teaching, and attachment to rites/rituals. Not only that, but there are certain markers that are supposed to arise when this happens. In some cases, realization refers to realizing the three marks of existence: impermanence (anicca,) selflessness (anatta), and dissatisfaction (dukkha). At least the way one set of teachers taught it, the initial blooming of this realization IS stream entry. 

From a Zen perspective, the beginning of the path is when one glimpses the nature of mind, which then becomes the basis for further practice. In fact, Zen masters may talk of permanence, true self, and bliss as a way of teaching. 

The issue is that there are different paths for different people. However, the tendency to reify a particular path as THE PATH and use it to judge all others is a bit problematic.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Knowthing said:

The more I see the level of discussions here, the more ignorant I feel.

But I also feel fascinated...it's weird.

to me, it can be a bit like the draw to slow down or stop and watch a crash site along the road.

Not involved necessarily, but intrigued.

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, freeform said:

So you mean out of the force of habit/practice? :) 

What does “actualizing the original spirit” even mean? You must be under the impression that you are not already your original spirit. If that is the case, you are not really “you”, but are in the process of becoming you. So you are not being, but doing and becoming.

That can only happen when there is no realization. Because realizing your true nature  means, recognizing/understanding who you already are, and have always been, and will forever continue to be. There is no improvement/actualization or addition after that point, no transforming into original spirit, no birthing of an immortal fetus or whatever else. It is simply a direct cognition of your true nature as the Dao itself. What more can you do to become it? Just stop doing things out of habit, all the trying to become. Yes it could be said that this “stop doing” is a process too. But is very a different kind of process — that’s why it’s called “not doing”. 

Realization is not entering a stream, it is knowing that one is water itself. Streams and oceans are used as allegorical/metaphorical teaching tools, not to be taken literally. 

That simply is incorrect. There is no beyond realization, if you truly know what realization is. :) 

25 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

The issue is that there are different paths for different people. However, the tendency to reify a particular path as THE PATH and use it to judge all others is a bit problematic.

Yup - completely agree.

Some people say that there’s a universal path and all traditions are basically the same. I completely disagree with that… there are clearly a lot of crossovers between certain paths… but equally there are many differences.

I have little experience outside of alchemical Daoism and some meditative practice in Buddhism - and I almost always mention that everything I say is from that perspective.

Since we’re talking about the Xian Tian attainment on a microcosmic orbit thread, I think it’s clear we’re talking about Daoist alchemy.

I’m using a specific definition of ‘realisation’ - one defined by @dwai… we’ve basically had this discussion continuing for a few years now, so we’re not talking about all paths in general.

The main disagreement seems to stem from ‘realisation’ vs ‘actualisation’… One is realising your true nature - the other is manifesting this true nature through all layers of existence. The argument Dwai puts forth is that everything is already perfectly actualised - you just need to realise it. Mine is a bit more basic - my tradition, my teachers, and many generations of masters in my lineage unequivocally disagree. And I’ve shared plenty of reasons why.

3 minutes ago, freeform said:

Since we’re talking about the Xian Tian attainment on a microcosmic orbit thread, I think it’s clear we’re talking about Daoist alchemy.

Hello,

Can you tell your knowledge about microcosmic orbit.

What is microcosmic orbit purpose and how does it manifest?

Thank you.

44 minutes ago, freeform said:

Some people say that there’s a universal path and all traditions are basically the same. I completely disagree with that…

Whole-heartedly agree.

Saying all paths are the same is akin to claiming all water is the same.  One can claim it, but is there objectivity to such claims?

River, marsh, pond, puddle, ocean, stream, rain, snow... snow on the side of a road after three days of traffic, streams outside chemical refineries... or the water seeping out of the stones at Zion after 4 thousand years of settling from the plateau above...  to say all of these are the same enters the arena of semantics and high subjectivity.

Nuance, ever shifting conditions, pre-existing conditions... co-arising aggregates.  It's all so unique in each moment with each awareness.  This is perhaps why some lineages and individual pursuits resonate when others don't.  Snow is not Rain. 

Ever shifting fluidity of the co-arising aggregates with the individual experiencing them.  One size does not fit all.

Edit to add:  I find Damo to be exceptional and am deeply grateful he shares as he does.  I find him to be grounded, innately capable and deeply committed/accomplished.  My two main teacher's do not speak english and so deep conversations are tricky.  Coupled with them being semi-retired and far away, I found Damo's writings (and his surprisingly quick and erudite responses to my email queries) to be profoundly helpful in deeper understandings of some expriences I had in Longmen Pai practices.  So grateful folks of his cailiber have the willingness to open up and offer as they do.

Edited by silent thunder
  • Like 8

16 hours ago, dwai said:

What does “actualizing the original spirit” even mean?

I tend to think that it’s a bit rude not to answer a direct question.

But in some cases you pose a question that you don’t actually want my answer to.

Which is great because I don’t want to get drawn into the same argument we’ve covered over and over and over again.

Different paths have different ways of doing things. I'm happy to discuss with people who are curious - but I have limited time for people who want to be right.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Indiken said:

Hello,

Can you tell your knowledge about microcosmic orbit.

What is microcosmic orbit purpose and how does it manifest?

Thank you.

There was a good discussion about it some time back where people shared their experiences and I shared mine:

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, silent thunder said:

his surprisingly quick and erudite responses to my email queries

I imagine that with his large school and all his public books and videos, he must get a ton of correspondence every day. So the fact that he answered you (and you’re not a student, as I understand), shows to me that he really cares about this stuff.

Not at all how Zork represented him.

(Zork explained that he now thinks I’m controlled by aliens, and doesn’t want to catch alien lurgies off me - and is therefore avoiding my posts - which is why I’m not tagging him :) - for the rest of you reading this… sorry but it’s too late for you - you’re now under alien control 👽)

• Haha 4

On 23.10.2021 at 11:50 PM, dwai said:

that’s a misunderstanding of what the Buddha said, but it’s a longer, more protracted discussion I’ve had many times before with a few folks here. I won’t go down that rabbit hole for now. 

Yes that’s a good question — what is the difference?!? :) 

Who is communicating and with whom? When in ignorance, the Self takes on the form of these masters and points out the Self, to the Self. It can be in form of a deity or departed  master, but is 

Ask yourself, in any of the stories you’ve read or heard, have you ever known these masters to manifest themselves physically in front of a “seeker”?  

I’ve had encounters with a few such masters and deities, but never in a situation where I can physically touch them. It is usually in the astral or causal planes that this happens - in the subtle body. What does that mean? Astral and causal planes are appearances within consciousness, and everything we can experience in these are also essentially within consciousness alone. So why then would someone experience these “individuals”? It is the mind that experiences them, much as the mind does all other phenomena. But  unlike the mind that is engrossed in sensory perceptions being covered by rajas and tamas, the mind veiling becomes more transparent as satva becomes the primary “substance” that covers it. So the satvic mind experiences these beings as being apparently separate, with maybe a specific purpose of addressing a specific aspect of knowledge, or as a trigger point  for a big realization. 

Now that can lead down the path of  understanding what the mind is. Though many don’t spend enough time trying to understand this very important aspect which makes knowledge possible. It is the mind alone that is in ignorance, and the mind alone where knowledge can arise to dispel this ignorance. Consciousness/Self is not that, and ever untouched/spotless. 

Is this your experience or intellectual knowledge?

I am not fascinated by intellectual knowledge anymore or impressed by the whole 'you are Brahman' since it doesn't change anything.

As long as you live you will have a body. Trying to destroy that is just silly, enjoy your body while it lasts.

Who cares if masters appear or don't appear physically? If they appeared physically it wouldn't prove a thing. I have met masters in flesh. After they die, the flesh is not here and they can appear in your consciousness.

You seem to want to destroy your individuality, it is a wrong pursuit IMHO since your personality comes from the DNA and there is nothing wrong with it. If you accept your personality you achieve peace of mind = no suffering so no need to destroy anything but non-acceptance.

What matters in daily life is the end of suffering, which the mind is capable of ending just by watching the stream of experience.

Then the non dual land is near. However as we have seen in all spiritual communities very few can make the jump directly. First we have to weed out all the traumas and negative inclinations, otherwise there is too much contraction.

Edited by johndoe2012
  • Like 4

There was a good discussion about it some time back where people shared their experiences and I shared mine:

thank you for response.

i did read that seeing lights is one of the manifestation related to mco. Is it?

if so, what are those lights?

8 minutes ago, Indiken said:

thank you for response.

i did read that seeing lights is one of the manifestation related to mco. Is it?

if so, what are those lights?

Can be, yes - it’s the interaction of Qi with your upper Dantien - and resulting Shen produced.

But that’s not the main manifestation… it’s just something that can happen.

The main manifestation of the MCO is what’s called the ‘jade fluid’ or ‘the medicine’ or other similar terms.

Its basically a sort of (physical) liquid produced in your head that then flows down into your mouth. By swallowing it down, it rejuvenates your internal system, increases your Qi generation efficiency and prepares your body and mind for later alchemical practices.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, freeform said:

Can be, yes - it’s the interaction of Qi with your upper Dantien - and resulting Shen produced.

But that’s not the main manifestation… it’s just something that can happen.

The main manifestation of the MCO is what’s called the ‘jade fluid’ or ‘the medicine’ or other similar terms.

Its basically a sort of (physical) liquid produced in your head that then flows down into your mouth. By swallowing it down, it rejuvenates your internal system, increases your Qi generation efficiency and prepares your body and mind for later alchemical practices.

Why the lights differ in color and form?

I constantly see the circular green light in the middle between the eyes. The green light surrounds another circle in the middle.

If i remember correctly, when i had my alchemical experience, i did see blue, green, red, golden.

26 minutes ago, Indiken said:

If i remember correctly, when i had my alchemical experience, i did see blue, green, red, golden.

These lights are the 5 elements experienced at a consciousness level.

So at a physical level they manifest as the 5 organ systems… 

39 minutes ago, Indiken said:

I constantly see the circular green light in the middle between the eyes. The green light surrounds another circle in the middle.

That means that the aliens got you :ph34r:

Spoiler

Not really :) 

I don’t know what that means specifically. There are a lot of variables

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Indiken said:

Why the lights differ in color and form?

If you see flash or green light, it may be retinal detachment.  Be careful.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, freeform said:

That means that the aliens got you :ph34r:

seriously, i think i did have many encounters with them.

do you have any shareable knowledge about UFO's and spirituality relation?

---

you said that lights:

then:

1 hour ago, freeform said:

These lights are the 5 elements experienced at a consciousness level.

So at a physical level they manifest as the 5 organ systems… 

i do not understand,

why do organs have relation to color?

how organ system is related to Shen?

what is Shen produced for?

2 minutes ago, Indiken said:

i do not understand,

why do organs have relation to color?

how organ system is related to Shen?

From a Daoist perspective, the manifest world (your experience here on earth) is an extension of consciousness. Physicality is one aspect along the full spectrum of manifestation…

You’ve probably seen charts showing the electromagnetic spectrum with radio waves, x rays, visible light, radio frequencies etc - all based on a wave vibrating at different rates - so it’s similar in Daoism, but they don’t stop at the electromagnetic spectrum, everything from your consciousness to your very physical existence exists along this spectrum - your physical existence is just vibrating at a more ‘physical end’ of the spectrum.

Through various means you may perceive various parts of this spectrum… the coloured lights are not related to the organs - they are the organs… you’re just experiencing them at a different end of the spectrum - one closer to pure consciousness than dense physicality.

The source of this spectrum is beyond what we experience as the manifest reality. The source is the Dao and is expressed as your Original Spirit… because this is all prior to manifestation, it is known as ‘pre-heaven’ or ‘primordial’ or ‘original’. It’s a spiritual realm that exists before/outside of life or death - outside of manifest reality.

Think of the Original Spirit as a singular point of light… as it goes through the gate of manifestation, it splits off and refracts into the five colours of light which step by step manifest into progressively denser and denser frequencies - including the emotions, personality, the different movements and phases of Qi… and your physical self.

The green light for instance is the consciousness-level equivalent of everything from an upwards movement of Qi to various emotional qualities to various meridians to your physical liver to your tendons and ligaments.

Thats the best I can do without writing a book. 

Which brings us back on topic because Damo explains all this rather elegantly in his books. Worth a read if you’re curious about the Daoist model of reality and spiritual cultivation.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Indiken said:

seriously, i think i did have many encounters with them.

do you have any shareable knowledge about UFO's and spirituality relation?

Well you know who to ask about that already :) 

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, silent thunder said:

Whole-heartedly agree.

Saying all paths are the same is akin to claiming all water is the same.  One can claim it, but is there objectivity to such claims?

River, marsh, pond, puddle, ocean, stream, rain, snow... snow on the side of a road after three days of traffic, streams outside chemical refineries... or the water seeping out of the stones at Zion after 4 thousand years of settling from the plateau above...  to say all of these are the same enters the arena of semantics and high subjectivity.

Nuance, ever shifting conditions, pre-existing conditions... co-arising aggregates.  It's all so unique in each moment with each awareness.  This is perhaps why some lineages and individual pursuits resonate when others don't.  Snow is not Rain. 

Ever shifting fluidity of the co-arising aggregates with the individual experiencing them.  One size does not fit all.

Edit to add:  I find Damo to be exceptional and am deeply grateful he shares as he does.  I find him to be grounded, innately capable and deeply committed/accomplished.  My two main teacher's do not speak english and so deep conversations are tricky.  Coupled with them being semi-retired and far away, I found Damo's writings (and his surprisingly quick and erudite responses to my email queries) to be profoundly helpful in deeper understandings of some expriences I had in Longmen Pai practices.  So grateful folks of his cailiber have the willingness to open up and offer as they do.

Nice to see someone appreciating Damo, he is a very generous teacher :) 

6 hours ago, freeform said:

I imagine that with his large school and all his public books and videos, he must get a ton of correspondence every day. So the fact that he answered you (and you’re not a student, as I understand), shows to me that he really cares about this stuff.

Not at all how Zork represented him.

(Zork explained that he now thinks I’m controlled by aliens, and doesn’t want to catch alien lurgies off me - and is therefore avoiding my posts - which is why I’m not tagging him :) - for the rest of you reading this… sorry but it’s too late for you - you’re now under alien control 👽)

Id like to say im surprised.but, well....he has a nack for making unsubstantiated claims :lol:

Yeah Damo literally does his best to respond to everyone (no easy task) he has a lot of students!!!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

unsubstantiated

Well to be fair to Zork… 

He’s seen what I look like:

Spoiler

spaceballs-alien.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, johndoe2012 said:

Is this your experience or intellectual knowledge?

I am not fascinated by intellectual knowledge anymore or impressed by the whole 'you are Brahman' since it doesn't change anything.

It is not in the domain of experience (as we normally define it). It is a permanent shift in perspective, from identification as the body-mind-personality to consciousness/awareness/awakeness, etc.

As far as your question is concerned - I am awake. I know people think it's good to be bashful about it, but there's no need for modesty, as it is not an "attainment". One doesn't develop superpowers other than a complete and total clarity about what's real and what is not. I've written about it quite a bit here, and an "explanation" of sorts here -- https://www.medhajournal.com/the-absurd-truth-hiding-in-plain-sight/

As long as you live you will have a body. Trying to destroy that is just silly, enjoy your body while it lasts.

Who cares if masters appear or don't appear physically? If they appeared physically it wouldn't prove a thing. I have met masters in flesh. After they die, the flesh is not here and they can appear in your consciousness.

You seem to want to destroy your individuality, it is a wrong pursuit IMHO since your personality comes from the DNA and there is nothing wrong with it. If you accept your personality you achieve peace of mind = no suffering so no need to destroy anything but non-acceptance.

It is not that I WANT to destroy my individuality. Individuality is merely an appearance :) 

How do you "destroy" a mirage? You don't. You recognize it for what it is and stop chasing after it. 

Personality doesn't come from DNA. What comes from DNA is the physical attributes. Personality is purely a result of our karmic and mental conditoining. Yes, part of waking up is accepting the personality as it is, but not because that's who you are, but rather, because you know it is not who you are. Do you reject or accept a mirage? No, you simply acknowledge it as such and continue. 

What matters in daily life is the end of suffering, which the mind is capable of ending just by watching the stream of experience.

Then the non dual land is near. However as we have seen in all spiritual communities very few can make the jump directly. First we have to weed out all the traumas and negative inclinations, otherwise there is too much contraction.

No, we don't have to weed out all the traumas and negative inclinations - it is not possible to do that without realization. The solution to suffering is nondual realization and not the other way around.

Proper meditation will allow one to develop witness consciousness. Once witness consciousness develops, and the process of inquiry deepens, the traumas and negative inclinations will thin on their own. The more the mind becomes "clear", the lower the effects of these patterns of contiditoning. Our traumas and negative inclinations don't imprison us, we imprison our Self by refusing to let go of the "good" and the "bad".  Once we spend enough time watching the stream of experiences you mention (including actions, thoughts, emotions and feelings), we realize "I am not the body, mind, personality, experiences", etc. After that, we realize that body, mind, personality, experiences (i.e. the world) appear within us, and there is nothing apart from "us" (aka consciousness). This realization is the full nondual realization. 

P.S. There's not a thing I've shared on this forum that isn't in the domain of my own direct experience/realization. 

Edited by dwai
  • Like 1

On 24-10-2021 at 3:27 PM, freeform said:

I'd like to share a personal story in this regard. Somewhere around 2011 I was fully focused on Self-Inquiry from the Advaita tradition which led to a breakthrough. 'I' glimpsed the deathless, neverborn, neverdying part of 'my' Self and it completely shattered my constructed self at that time. I put 'my' and 'I' between quotation marks because that what I glimpsed was impersonal (yet warm, alive). The best metaphor to explain this experience is the following: Imagine a movie of a character called Frederic trying to find enlightenment, doing practices, searching, longing, dreaming etc. Then somehow the focus shifts from character on the screen to the screen itself. The screen sees itself. The screen is perfectly untouched by anything happening on the screen. It never changes, it is perfect, isn't part of the story, doesn't get born, doesn't die, has no journey of evolution. The character on the screen and in the story is somehow part of the realization and laughs about the humor of it's predicament. The search was futile, because from the now glimpsed larger identity, searching for enlightenment was never necessary, the screen was always there, and needs no realization. The screen can never loose it's enlightenment and never find it. From the perspective of the character the search is over, nothing is ever needed anymore. The character can finally relax.

It took years to integrate this experience because all previous motivations where no longer relevant, yet the ego still had (and still has) a lot of habitual movements, so searching, grasping and stuff like that often happens.

I got the message that this glimpse was a sort of start, not an end. Now the long journey of actualizing this would begin so the character can become more transparant to the screen, a more embodied expression of the screen. The need for that is not necessarily there but the desire/passion to do so is. Also, finally relaxed enough, the character could now fully commit to the story. The need to escape samsara was no longer there and soon after that I met my now wife and stepped fully into life, family, mortgage, parenthood. Once you know that the most fundamental part of you is deathless, there are no real risks, so you can fully commit.

It took a long time to answer questions such as, why practice, why cultivate, why meditate? Over the years I found many answers for myself but the real answer is and remains, I don't know. I do because I do, because it is the most fulfilling way to live for me. I've dabbled with Qigong and Taijiquan over the years but never fully committed to the practice because I could never find a guide I trusted, a clear reason and explanation of the proces until I read 'A comprehensive guide...' by Damo. Also, life seems to just flow in that direction. By accident and grace I'm an acupuncturist and self-cultivation seems the appropriate thing to do, both for myself and my patients. I'm 42 now and just starting the real journey into the Daoist arts. Much to late I guess to acquire any high level skill. But it doesn't matter. The soul desires this path. And maybe this life is about setting up causes for the next one. I must say, family life and being a parent is also very rewarding.

Another metaphor I've been left with is the sky and the tree. I can experience both these aspects of my being, the sky, ever perfect and clear, and the tree that desires to grow and express itself. Both need attention (and probably are not two, but it is a helpful metaphor for me). Maybe the tree also has an ever growing never dying aspect, always exploring. Who knows. Time is weird, if it exists at all.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

I've spoken quite highly in this thread about Damo, but I'd also like to offer a counterpoint.

I do find him quite absolutist. For instance, he is quite disparaging of other styles and systems. Even major traditions that have produced many enlightened masters over the centuries are treated almost with disdain.

I won't get into the specifics, because it was said on a private Facebook group, but the implication is that only what he teaches is correct, and everything else is wrong.

I don't doubt his path is a true one, and perhaps even one of the most direct and powerful that is publicly available. But I also don't think it's the only one  

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1