forestofemptiness

Damo Mitchell Free MCO Course

22 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

It seems to work thus far (i.e. it produces tangible effects), but I could see where it would be difficult for people new to meditation. His explanations, if accurate, go a long way to decoding the secret Taoist language. 

Despite my misgivings (about my own time for one), I also decided to check out his Academy (although his stuff doesn't seem far off from what I'm already working).  We'll see: I'm going to try an experiment in increased practice for a month. 

Bon voyage.  

I haven't done the mco course material, I'm waiting to get the same material from the weekly academy lessons, sometime in the second year.  Plenty to work on from the weekly lessons in year one so far, plus some of the stand alone workshops.  

1 hour ago, Creation said:

Bon voyage.  

:lol: we'll see about that. I am a true dilletante, so who knows how long this will last. In order to incorporate, I've decided to experiment by playing with dedicating nearly all my free, non-family time to practice for a month. We'll see how it goes. I presume that I will find out whether I am a true hedonist, because nothing feels better than a calm, settled mind. 

I'm going to continue with the MCO unless there is an obvious problem. 

1 hour ago, forestofemptiness said:

I'm going to continue with the MCO unless there is an obvious problem. 

No problem at all.  

3 hours ago, forestofemptiness said:

I wonder if TB breathing techniques also have a dan tian building function.

There are some similarities for sure, building and pressurizing energy below the navel, working up to working with refined essences, the essences from the lower body rising up and the essences from the upper body dripping down. But I would say that even though you can find connections and similarities, when you lay out the complete process of development, it's quite different.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 1

Am curious as well, if there are any people who practice with Damo M. for years, like 2-3+ how is your progress, what did you achieve in this time?

21 hours ago, SAMANTABHADRA said:

So @forestofemptiness how is it going?

Interesting that you ask at this particular juncture, because I'm assessing what to do. 

Overall, I think what Damo is teaching appears 1) authentic and 2) produces results. The time and effort required for 2 varies by the individual, but there is no doubt for me that it works. Damo is a good instructor with a light heart and a lack of typical red flags. I was able to have fairly strong qi sensations, spontaneous movement, and felt the dan tian in the time I spent. Overall, I would say this is the best Daoist program I have come across. I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone interested. 

One may think, well, why are you assessing what to do? A few reasons:

1. Current lack of access to live instruction. The Academy I think was developed as a supplement, not a substitute for live practice. I'm sure my forms are off, but getting any live instruction (due to pandemic) appears to be a year or more in the future. I am concerned about the bad physical habits I will have ingrained in that time frame. Post-pandemic, with regular in person meetings with instructors, this might be less of an issue. However, even with regular, ongoing contact with live teachers, it takes a long time to learn postures, and there are no LNG teachers in my immediate area. 

2. It takes a lot of time/energy. The recommended minimum practice time is about 2 hours, which isn't a problem if you are focusing on one thing. However, I have my own practices and often have to choose between one or the other. The practices are not easy, so it requires mustering up will to do them regularly. Also, consistent formal practice is very important, which can be difficult for us lay people with families. 

3. More qi = more problems. We all assume having more qi/qi flow is a good thing, but as often is discussed, it highlights the positive and the negative. There are some personal negatives that don't need strengthening. 

4. The meditative aspects are quite different from what I am currently working on. I have reservations about splitting one's intention as I think it may limit one's progress. 

So I would say the program is great, but perhaps not for me at this current time. However, who knows how I'll feel in a week or a month. TBD. 

• Like 6

16 hours ago, XianGong said:

Am curious as well, if there are any people who practice with Damo M. for years, like 2-3+ how is your progress, what did you achieve in this time?

I practised his system for about 3 years and found it with either little effect or, in some respects, even detrimental to my health. Although I did receive a few good tips from him in the workshops.

Edited by idquest
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, idquest said:

I practised his system for about 3 years and found it with either little effect or, in some respects, even detrimental to my health. Although I did receive a few good tips from him in the workshops.

So, little to no progress? Was health your only goal?
How was dan tien development and stuff?

On 11/10/2021 at 3:47 AM, XianGong said:

The online academy has only been running for just over a year. Prior to that, the only stuff he offered publicly were are a few qigong or daoyin methods on dvd or vimeo. 

The people who have been studying his neigong for longer than that are people who learned from him in person, and those are few and far between.

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

The online academy has only been running for just over a year. Prior to that, the only stuff he offered publicly were are a few qigong or daoyin methods on dvd or vimeo. 

The online people who have been studying his neigong for longer than that are people who learned from him in person, and those are few and far between.

I see, did not know this, had thought, that he has been teaching for over 2 decades already.

2 hours ago, XianGong said:

I see, did not know this, had thought, that he has been teaching for over 2 decades already.

He's been teaching a while certainly, but only through seminars and in person lessons. The online academy, making neigong available to wider audience is relatively recent.

• Like 1

Damos methods are extremely potent,

Neigong increases the good and the bad....it is not something one should be doing if they have problems with health, be it physical or mental....those should be sorted first

It is different from what is routinely taught in the public domain...but the effects are objective and I've not really seen anyone unhappy with what he teaches...but its hard work and takes time....theres no magic pill

I've had some really powerful experiences with it.....I would highly recommend him to anyone.....Look forward to meeting him once this whole covid19 situation dies off

26 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

I've had some really powerful experiences with it.....I would highly recommend him to anyone.....Look forward to meeting him once this whole covid19 situation dies off

Can't you be more detailed with that? What is a powerful experience for you? What is the value of it?

27 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

It is different from what is routinely taught in the public domain..

I may not know this, but what is routinely taught in the public domain?

28 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

So, what is the result after 20 years?

1 hour ago, XianGong said:

Can't you be more detailed with that? What is a powerful experience for you? What is the value of it?

I may not know this, but what is routinely taught in the public domain?

So, what is the result after 20 years?

Regards my own experiences....id rather not elaborate

Some of the stuff in the early stages is learn how to work with qi, build the lower dan tien, open the body according to the Yijinjing...thats about as much as Im willing to say...A quick skim of his book would be appropriate...alchemy comes a little bit later

What is the result after 20 years? the results would depend on your input I imagine...a dedicated practitioner....Im sure this stuff would take you pretty far

4 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Regards my own experiences....id rather not elaborate

Why not?

What is the result after 20 years? the results would depend on your input I imagine...a dedicated practitioner....Im sure this stuff would take you pretty far

We don't know what the results would be, never seen Damo students.

4 minutes ago, XianGong said:

Why not?

We don't know what the results would be, never seen Damo students.

Several reasons

Respect for confidentiality of the school

Some of it is esoteric, and because of that is best left unsaid

Its not required....the methods work, that's pretty much the most important point...they do exactly what the claim to

Methods that work produce results...methods that don't, well...they don't.

All of the people I've spoken too have had similar results....so they do what they say on the tin

3 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Some of it is esoteric, and because of that is best left unsaid

That's bullshit. You are on an "esoteric" forum.

for confidentiality of the school

School is public, what it has to do with confidentiality? You can not verbalize your own progress/results? We do not ask you to share the "secret methods you exercise".

5 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Methods that work produce results...methods that don't, well...they don't.

Ughh, this reminds me of Western Mopai Students.
They also said something about their method was working, but could never say what they have even been able to achieve with it.

19 minutes ago, XianGong said:

That's bullshit. You are on an "esoteric" forum.

School is public, what it has to do with confidentiality? You can not verbalize your own progress/results? We do not ask you to share the "secret methods you exercise".

Ughh, this reminds me of Western Mopai Students.
They also said something about their method was working, but could never say what they have even been able to achieve with it.

No, it isn't at all....these types of matters are things best not aired in public...please show some respect

I do not verbalize with people I don't know/trust, or people with bad attitudes ...You are currently in the former category, but your other comment means you are threading the line of being in both...so I repeat...show some respect please.

I just told you what the early work does...and told you what comes later..... I don't think you need a detailed breakdown of whats involved in neigong or alchemy...that information is readily available...in many books and all over this forum too

Edited by Shadow_self

31 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

I just told you what the early work does...and told you what comes later..... I don't think you need a detailed breakdown of whats involved in neigong or alchemy...that information is readily available...in many books and all over this forum too

I am not interested in books, I am on a forum and I asked people, what is their personal experience. If you can't talk about it why do you even write here?

56 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

or people with bad attitudes

You are confusing "bad attitude" with "Critical Thinking" and "Questioning Things"
Nothing wrong with asking direct questions. It is just your answers don't make any sense.
I.e. :
You brag that it is extremely potent. 

3 hours ago, Shadow_self said:

But cannot go into any details...

1 hour ago, Shadow_self said:

my own experiences....id rather not elaborate

It is kind of ridiculous to ask for respect on a forum, where you come unwillingly to share anything.

32 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

I do not verbalize with people I don't know/trust, or people with bad attitudes ...You are currently in the former category, but your other comment means you are threading the line of being in both...so I repeat...show some respect please.

There are very few people I respect, and those earned my respect and it was not granted for free.
So far, I cannot see any "potent results" teaching in you, but I can see some Qi Deviation. 

36 minutes ago, XianGong said:

I am not interested in books, I am on a forum and I asked people, what is their personal experience. If you can't talk about it why do you even write here?

You are confusing "bad attitude" with "Critical Thinking" and "Questioning Things"
Nothing wrong with asking direct questions. It is just your answers don't make any sense.
I.e. :
You brag that it is extremely potent. 

But cannot go into any details...

It is kind of ridiculous to ask for respect on a forum, where you come unwillingly to share anything.

There are very few people I respect, and those earned my respect and it was not granted for free.
So far, I cannot see any "potent results" teaching in you, but I can see some Qi Deviation. 

Actually, I did make a comment on my experience....you just wanted more and I refused out of respect for requests that were made to me, and because I don't talk about spiritual things too openly ( any decent teacher would advise you the same)

No, calling something bullshit because you cannot place yourself in another's shoes is absolutely a bad attitude..nothing more nothing less..

It is quite potent....nobodys asking you to believe me...I  literally get nothing out of stating that....feel free to divert your attention elsewhere..

I asked you to respect the fact that I said as much as I wanted to...yet that basic concept is lost on you....so I wouldn't go around claiming others have qi deviations when you are complaining about the fact that someone wont tell you more than they are comfortable with divulging....

And yet the concept is lost on you....

17 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Actually, I did make a comment on my experience....you just wanted more and I refused out of respect for requests that were made to me, and because I don't talk about spiritual things too openly ( any decent teacher would advise you the same)

I just checked that you are a newcomer, so yeah... maybe you have nothing to talk about.

No, calling something bullshit because you cannot place yourself in another's shoes is absolutely a bad attitude..nothing more nothing less..

I am calling bullshit = bullshit. I like to be straight. You told me that there is something so esoteric and spiritual, that you can't say online. How else can be that called? I don't remember when last time I heard anything like that being said, maybe when Western Mopai kids were around?

Just to shed your illusions, there is nothing spiritual in the online program you study. Working with Qi and stretching the body is not a spiritual practice.

And I don't want to be placed in your shoes, lol. Why would I want that? :lol:

24 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

I asked you to respect the fact that I said as much as I wanted to...yet that basic concept is lost on you....so I wouldn't go around claiming others have qi deviations when you are complaining about the fact that someone wont tell you more than they are comfortable with divulging....

And yet the concept is lost on you....

I am just checking on Damo students and their progress, to see how effective the system is, your inability to write a few coherent sentences and express any experience beyond emotional "Super, Powerful, Potent" is already very telling.

I only do it out of curiosity, and to compare to students of other systems and schools.

37 minutes ago, XianGong said:

I just checked that you are a newcomer, so yeah... maybe you have nothing to talk about.

I am calling bullshit = bullshit. I like to be straight. You told me that there is something so esoteric and spiritual, that you can't say online. How else can be that called? I don't remember when last time I heard anything like that being said, maybe when Western Mopai kids were around?

Just to shed your illusions, there is nothing spiritual in the online program you study. Working with Qi and stretching the body is not a spiritual practice.

And I don't want to be placed in your shoes, lol. Why would I want that? :lol:

I am just checking on Damo students and their progress, to see how effective the system is, your inability to write a few coherent sentences and express any experience beyond emotional "Super, Powerful, Potent" is already very telling.

I only do it out of curiosity, and to compare to students of other systems and schools.

Its not that I have nothing to talk about...I just have no desire to share anything with you

I've shared plenty with others, where the conversation is actually useful...However, the arrogance and bad attitude displayed by you, tells me my first judgement was the correct one

Yes stretching isnt spiritual..working with qi....fine line....however, your false assumption that this is all I was shown, or practiced, is just that...false...Moreover, I really feel no need to either explain or defend myself...like I said its of no benefit to me what you do

If I were you, id worry less about what other schools are doing... that ego and attitude you seem to embody is a far more troubling issue that deserves your attention

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Shadow_self said:

Its not that I have nothing to talk about...I just have no desire to share anything with you

This is not private messaging, wake up, this is an open thread in a public forum you share with everyone. :lol:

I've shared plenty with others, where the conversation is actually useful...However, the arrogance and bad attitude displayed by you, tells me my first judgement was the correct one

Yes stretching isnt spiritual..working with qi....fine line....however, your false assumption that this is all I was shown, or practiced, is just that...false...Moreover, I really feel no need to either explain or defend myself...like I said its of no benefit to me what you do

If I were you, id worry less about what other schools are doing... that ego and attitude you seem to embody is a far more troubling issue that deserves your attention

You are very confident, despite having started cultivation recently in 2020...

DunningKruger_Effect.png.04746ecb968d7133206ae8619c674b5b.png