forestofemptiness

Damo Mitchell Free MCO Course

4 minutes ago, Cleansox said:

So it is a Nei Dan course? 

No, I was talking about this free MCO course. I havent yet enrolled into membership at his site, although I probably will have to check it out.

Edited by salaam123

So you are probably at the stage of clearing the vessels then, and extracting lead (a nei dan term) comes in later in the process. 

I am doing the MCO course of Damo. It's very kind of him to put this material online for free. :wub:

I was kind of stuck in my practice and the material came in at a good point for me to proceed.

I've previewed the material and I believe it's top notch. Currently, I'm doing the first 4 exercises, up to the one where the ldt and mdt are connected and qi is thickened. Hopefully I will report back in a few months once I've gone through the whole practice.

• Like 4

I signed up for the course. There's quite a bit of material, but more than half of the courses including all the general lectures are locked and only available for annual students. Considering monthly subs work out $40 more a year than annual subs, this doesn't seem entirely fair. Also, not everyone can afford $440 up front. 

Im glad I've signed up to see what the fuss is about, but honestly I expected a bit more than a 40 minute lecture on sitting posture to get started. Its the standard drip feed approach. 

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

I signed up for the course. There's quite a bit of material, but more than half of the courses including all the general lectures are locked and only available for annual students. Considering monthly subs work out $40 more a year than annual subs, this doesn't seem entirely fair. Also, not everyone can afford $440 up front. 

Im glad I've signed up to see what the fuss is about, but honestly I expected a bit more than a 40 minute lecture on sitting posture to get started. Its the standard drip feed approach. 

If that is how you are seeing things, consider that you are missing something.  The lecture on how listening (ting) to the body while doing the mobility work causes the connective tissue to engage might seem pedestrian, but it was a total game changer for me after years of physical practice with body awareness being done from up in the head.  I now apply this principle to all my physical training and it makes a huge difference.  The practice of quiet sitting probably sounds like it doesn't do anything, but consider if you can't do it that will hinder your progress later.  You can also start the Taiji Module - even if you are not interested in martial arts I would recommend the first month or two because the exercises are incredible for learning how to sung properly - neigong training focuses more on ting and Taiji training more on sung, so they synergize with each other.  If that still doesn't seem like enough material you can get a head start on neigong standing by watching the Foundations of Qigong program, or if you want a head start on working with the 5 elements and the channels you can start the Heavenly Streams program.  You get out what you put in.

Edited by Creation
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Guest ezza

Vajra Fist, did you miss the short article about how to make the most out of this program? It actually recommends starting with the "Qi Gong Foundations" from the library as that teaches you all the nuances of the Wuji posture + the Ji Ben Qi Gong. There's 5 hours+ of material there for you to work with if you'd like :) 

The Nei Gong weekly course is a bit wider and starts with the meditation etc. But yeah, just with that Qi Gong Foundation videos you probably have more than enough to work with for a year (if you are really diligent) or two+. 

Also the whole point of upfront payments for anything (not just this course) being cheaper and offering more is because money right now is a lot more valuable than money later down the line. 

Thanks, maybe its just me with a bit of buyer's regret. I'm not a fan of the subscription type models, would rather have everything up front to learn at my own pace. It would be different if it was a price in the range of a Netflix sub, but its $40 a month and you need to commit for at least a year or two in order to get some way into the system. Thats up to $1000. And even then there's a lvl2 closed door group with an unknown pricing model.

If you can't afford it using during the 1-2 year period and quit, you effectively have only half learned the system. Someone else will be able to confirm if when you resubscribe again, you have to start back at week 1. Just seems a lot of money and a big commitment.

That said, my gripe is purely on the pricing model which of course I knew all about before I signed up. If you don't have a family and have a significant disposable income I imagine it will be less of a concern.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers. I'll go through the foundations and heavenly streams lectures and exercises and if I change my mind will leave a more positive review. 

Edited by Vajra Fist

You can get a full overview of the system from his books - cheapest way to go if cheapness is of primary concern.

• Like 5

Guest ezza

I'm honestly not a fan of subscription type models either but I think the way this one is setup is a lot better than most others because there is a lot that is available from the get go as mentioned aside from the 40 minute long videos for the first week, there's the Qi Gong Foundations / Heavenly Streams / Tai Qi modules to go along with it (and others too)

I'm not sure where you live but $40 a month to me seems more than feasible. If we were to attend in-person classes or workshops in any other system, martial arts, or class, it'd probably be $20 to $40 just to attend a one or two hour class once (this is on the cheaper end of just classes too, workshops would be far more).

I'm sure if you were to resubscribe again you would NOT have to start back at week 1 haha, that would be hell! You'd continue off at whatever your last video was if you were to resub

The cost adds up if you stick with it, but it doesn't necessarily need to be a big commitment. Do it for 1 to 3 months, see if it is worth it to you to continue or not, if not, then drop it so no major commitment required.

If the pricing is really an issue, you can always send out an email to them and ask if they could offer a discount granted your financial situation, I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you one. When you compare the costs of this with any other hobby, interest, or endeavor, it's probably on the lower end given the same time frame..

You gotta be pretty damn lucky to find someone who would be willing to teach you for free, and also there is the added component of whether they are actually good at their craft, AND also able to teach it well too. To find someone like that, one would likely need to spend a fair bit of money travelling to find them, and not only that, the greater cost would really be the time, energy, and sweat equity put towards finding them and then ultimately committing to learning and training under them 

12 minutes ago, ezza said:

You gotta be pretty damn lucky to find someone who would be willing to teach you for free, and also there is the added component of whether they are actually good at their craft, AND also able to teach it well too. To find someone like that, one would likely need to spend a fair bit of money travelling to find them, and not only that, the greater cost would really be the time, energy, and sweat equity put towards finding them and then ultimately committing to learning and training under them 

I’ve spent literally hundreds of thousands over the years on training - in terms of travel, accommodation and the loss of income due to the full-time training requirements many serious teachers have.

Of course in-person training is much better than learning online, but the quality of Damo’s information surpasses the vast majority of teachers I’ve trained with. If you’re diligent and able to make things work by yourself and with the help offered in their fb group then this is by far the cheapest way to learn genuine internal arts. I certainly wish I had this opportunity when I was starting out.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

One thing that should be pointed out about the online course and subscription - is that you're not just paying for the teachings. The very videos themselves have embedded transmission. When I tune in and do the practices with Damo, it's clear something  changes in my energy body. It's tangible and direct.

I've had many dreams about Damo since  getting involved with the lineage too. So perhaps  that is some esoteric part of it as well. You don't just sign up to learn some stuff and go off on your own. You sign up to become a part of a lineage and learn a very specific line of development that Damo teaches that leads to high levels of spiritual development from the ground-up. Preferably you then also get to see Damo or one of his many teachers when everything opens up again. 

I've not been able to find something as stream-lined and with such beautiful simplicity than in Damo's  system and I've been around the block a few times looking for genuine teachers and been part of various lineages. 40$/month is absolutely nothing compared to the quality of the material. But that's for each  person to figure out for themselves. 

Another thing  I shouldn't forget to mention is that you get direct access to the Facebook internal arts academy page where you can ask questions. This is priceless in and of itself.... I've not seen any teacher be able to answer questions so fast and comprehensively as Damo - and we're talking an onslaught of questions every day along with his own training, book-writing and all kinds of other projects. And always with a smile on his face... helping others. For me, a great testament to the blessing of this lineage. 

Best of luck VajraFist. I hope you find what you're looking for - there or elsewhere. These are just my two cents on the matter - hope it helps :) 

Edited by anshino23
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, Vajra Fist said:

Thanks, maybe its just me with a bit of buyer's regret. I'm not a fan of the subscription type models, would rather have everything up front to learn at my own pace. It would be different if it was a price in the range of a Netflix sub, but its $40 a month and you need to commit for at least a year or two in order to get some way into the system. Thats up to $1000. And even then there's a lvl2 closed door group with an unknown pricing model.

If you can't afford it using during the 1-2 year period and quit, you effectively have only half learned the system. Someone else will be able to confirm if when you resubscribe again, you have to start back at week 1. Just seems a lot of money and a big commitment.

That said, my gripe is purely on the pricing model which of course I knew all about before I signed up. If you don't have a family and have a significant disposable income I imagine it will be less of a concern.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers. I'll go through the foundations and heavenly streams lectures and exercises and if I change my mind will leave a more positive review. 

I hear you.  Two points:

1. You might find that in the next few lessons, the practices get advanced really fast.  Not in the sense of complicated or technical, but in the sense of, they are easy to explain but not easy to master.  The issue has come up on the facebook group multiple times, "There is no way I can really get this in one week."

2.  You really don't need to get 1-2 years in to get the most important practices - actually the core practices are the ones in the first two months.  Those practices take time to master, and already to do them all every day is impractical if you have much of a life, you will be doing the less important ones maybe every other day. 

So if you don't want to continue the subscription model, my advice is subscribe for two months, learn the Nei Gong, Taijiquan, Foundations of Qigong, and Heavenly Streams material (watch all videos twice, take notes), and then watch the free MCO program, and that will be plenty for years of practice. 

PS I promise the first two months of material in the Taijiquan program is worth learning.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 13.6.2020 at 10:48 PM, anshino23 said:
On 13.6.2020 at 10:48 PM, anshino23 said:

I think you have to take into account his disclaimer or "READ FIRST" document introducing the course:

In other words, don't expect anyone here to be able to tell you the results of the practice straight off the bat :) It's a long process and requires a lot of foundation work to be done. 

When he says 1 year to 18 months of daily training what amount of time each day does he think is needed?

On 18.6.2020 at 12:45 PM, freeform said:

Haha - rarely!

I don't know Damo's stance on this - but I've certainly made this mistake and did a 10 day fast (and still kept my training routine) - it took me over 3 months to recover :rolleyes:

Qi is produced from food primarily - and neigong sets up a 'qi producing engine'... when the food ran out it simply depleted my kidneys. It does take a while for neigong to be this 'strong' in its effect - so most people at the early stages won't notice much.

During intense neigong-focused retreats, I eat like a weightlifter (probably 4 to 5k calories) and I still lose weight!

When working on meditative practice the opposite is better - very moderate with food (very simple vegetarian diet with no added flavour and only to 60% to70% fullness)

What would you say is beneficial in terms of balancing meditation with Nei Gong and more dynamic work? Some form of regular percentage wise balance in terms of time spent on each? Change the balance according to what feels right? Or focus on one or the other at certain periods? 

2 hours ago, markern said:

What would you say is beneficial in terms of balancing meditation with Nei Gong and more dynamic work? Some form of regular percentage wise balance in terms of time spent on each? Change the balance according to what feels right? Or focus on one or the other at certain periods? 

1 - In the beginning (1st to 3rd) Mostly moving, some standing, a little bit of sitting

2 - 3rd to 5th year - Mostly standing, some moving, a bit more sitting

3 - 5th to 8th year - Mostly standing, some sitting, a little bit of moving

4- 8th to 10th year - Mostly sitting, some standing, a little bit of moving

This assumes regular, disciplined training (minimum 1.5 to 4hrs a day) while following an authentic structured process. If you're less focused on this stuff then it's best to keep to the first schedule.

Of course what you do as part of sitting, standing and moving changes over that period. In the beginning, the sitting work is generally focused on the breath, on sitting alignments, on developing certain mental qualities like Ting and so on. Standing is focused on physical alignments. Moving is focused on physical alignments too.

By the 8th to 10th yr, standing is generally for building Qi in the body, moving is for circulating and 'assimilating' this built qi and with sitting you'd be actually meditating (samadhi) or building up to meditation (with absorption-type practices) - and/or alchemical work.

MCO practice would usually fit around the 5th to 8th yr mark.

Some teachers, of course, do things differently - so it's best to follow your teacher's guidance. Different systems work differently. Also, people will have natural inclinations, interests, or maybe just really enjoy certain practices - there's nothing wrong doing equal parts of each after the 5th year or so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 1.9.2020 at 5:16 PM, freeform said:

1 - In the beginning (1st to 3rd) Mostly moving, some standing, a little bit of sitting

2 - 3rd to 5th year - Mostly standing, some moving, a bit more sitting

3 - 5th to 8th year - Mostly standing, some sitting, a little bit of moving

4- 8th to 10th year - Mostly sitting, some standing, a little bit of moving

This assumes regular, disciplined training (minimum 1.5 to 4hrs a day) while following an authentic structured process. If you're less focused on this stuff then it's best to keep to the first schedule.

Of course what you do as part of sitting, standing and moving changes over that period. In the beginning, the sitting work is generally focused on the breath, on sitting alignments, on developing certain mental qualities like Ting and so on. Standing is focused on physical alignments. Moving is focused on physical alignments too.

By the 8th to 10th yr, standing is generally for building Qi in the body, moving is for circulating and 'assimilating' this built qi and with sitting you'd be actually meditating (samadhi) or building up to meditation (with absorption-type practices) - and/or alchemical work.

MCO practice would usually fit around the 5th to 8th yr mark.

Some teachers, of course, do things differently - so it's best to follow your teacher's guidance. Different systems work differently. Also, people will have natural inclinations, interests, or maybe just really enjoy certain practices - there's nothing wrong doing equal parts of each after the 5th year or so.

Thank you for the thorough reply. This makes sense!

So when Damo in the video says about 20 hours is needed he includes meditation in that but means a much higher proportion moving etc. in the beginning than sitting and more sitting over time as you have outlined here?

I have usually felt drawn to a fairly even split between passive sitting meditation and more energy based practices like moving qigong, pranayama or meditations that involve working more actively with energy. Unless I got about half sitting quiet I felt like I didn't get enough digestion of things and not enough still, relaxed and equanimous aspects. And unless I got things moving for 40-50% of the time things felt like they would eventually stagnate too much. Not sure if this is "right" for me but its been how I've felt drawn. Stretching would come on top of this which would make for about a third of each I think. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, markern said:

unless I got things moving for 40-50% of the time things felt like they would eventually stagnate too much. Not sure if this is "right" for me but its been how I've felt drawn. Stretching would come on top of this which would make for about a third of each I think. 

Sounds about right to me :)

In general I do about 1/3 of each and some physical exercise and stretching on top. 

Sometimes I work on something quite specific and my time will be taken up by one more than the others. For example at the moment I’m standing and sitting a lot more. In the spring I was moving and sitting... At a certain stage (certainly after the 8 to 10 yr mark) you make the art your own as you start to understand what changes are taking place inside.

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 10:03 PM, MuadDib said:

I am doing the MCO course of Damo. It's very kind of him to put this material online for free. :wub:

I was kind of stuck in my practice and the material came in at a good point for me to proceed.

I've previewed the material and I believe it's top notch. Currently, I'm doing the first 4 exercises, up to the one where the ldt and mdt are connected and qi is thickened. Hopefully I will report back in a few months once I've gone through the whole practice.

Been going at it since June. Connection between the navel and ming men is clearly established now (3rd exercise). Sensations regarding the 4th exercise (ldt to solar plexus) are not very strong yet.

Since last night I've been having twitches from the inside around my lower abdomen. I take it as a positive sign.

• Like 4

I have read here that Damo's  Heavenly Streams material is actually dangerous and it can lead to major issues in deep channels. Is this true? This is a reply from a user after trying it:

Actually, after practicing this I got some pretty bad results! It seems like it can be very unbalancing to open acupoints with the mind or yi. It will seem like something is happening, but it's powerful in a negative sense.

People who like this book might suggest that it's an advanced method and needs to be done after having done other preliminary work, or that you need to pick the correct points...well I did that. So I'm of the conclusion that the method itself is not a good one for anyone to use.

I read the Ling Shu recently, which states that sick qi will descend deep into the channels, instead of leaving the body, if the acupoints aren't stimulated properly. You can also drain yuan qi by stimulating the points for too long, after the point when the qi arrives. In addition, some qigong masters have also stated that using the mind to open the points drains yuan qi directly. Just bad all around.

44 minutes ago, awarenessrules said:

I read the Ling Shu recently, which states that sick qi will descend deep into the channels, instead of leaving the body, if the acupoints aren't stimulated properly. You can also drain yuan qi by stimulating the points for too long, after the point when the qi arrives. In addition, some qigong masters have also stated that using the mind to open the points drains yuan qi directly. Just bad all around.

Ha, so he has replenished and can now directly perceive yuan qi and it's various frequencies?

5 hours ago, awarenessrules said:

I have read here that Damo's  Heavenly Streams material is actually dangerous and it can lead to major issues in deep channels. Is this true? This is a reply from a user after trying it:

Any links to it? 

35 minutes ago, forestofemptiness said:

So... did anyone do the course? I've been practicing the preliminaries. 

So what is ur opinion?

1 hour ago, Toni said:

So what is ur opinion?

It seems to work thus far (i.e. it produces tangible effects), but I could see where it would be difficult for people new to meditation. His explanations, if accurate, go a long way to decoding the secret Taoist language. 

Despite my misgivings (about my own time for one), I also decided to check out his Academy (although his stuff doesn't seem far off from what I'm already working).  We'll see: I'm going to try an experiment in increased practice for a month. 

• Like 3