Sign in to follow this  
Vajra Fist

Swimming Dragon Taiyi

Posted (edited)

Just a friendly heads up, Hans Menck of Freedom Martial Arts (a subscription-based online internal arts academy) has made free several hours of tutorials on Taiyi Swimming Dragon on his vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/user42109059

Its an amazing and beautiful style:

Here's a bit about the form (not to be confused with the bendy spinal qigong form of the same name):

http://www.freedommartialart.com/japanese-arts/kung-fu/swimming-dragon.html

I'm currently doing my best to learn it now. It's pretty physically demanding but feels amazing.

Might also sign up to the school when I'm done for form correction from the teacher. He also teaches cheng bagua (liu jingru), capoeira, muay boran, aikido and yang tai chi. Some of his proprietary freedom martial yoga is also up on vimeo (teacups and spinal flexibility type stuff).

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)

Just an update on this, if you do all the instruction videos together it works out around 55mins. He repeats each movement to the left and right 2-3 times each (the actual form takes around 9 mins to run through once, when mastered).

At the moment I'm just content to run through the entire instructional video once a day, which is incredibly challenging as both a physical and internal workout (I'm always sweating buckets afterwards). It was developed by a guy who was imprisoned in a small cell, so you can do it in a small space indoors. That's super useful for me as I'm always reticent to use the garden for stuff like this, at least in the afternoon (the neighbours always seem to peer over the garden fence).

Here are the three tutorials. Best resource out there for learning the form. 

For those interested in this style, here's also a 1 hour instructional video from the guy who publicised this family art in the 80s. 

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Just compiling a few other bits of information over this style. It also comprises a martial form (the guy here Yu Anren is 71 at the time of filming).

And a sword form

The dvds are available from  Liping Zhu's website. I have her version of the main form and I found it pretty difficult to learn from. Hans Menck's approach of repeating each movement 2-3 times each side is much more intuitive imo. I will however attempt to.learn the sword form once I've reached a certain point with the qigong.

https://qidragon.com/online-store-2/online-store/

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vajra Fist said:

And a sword form

This was a little painful to watch - all the 'power' is being generated in his knees and ankles.

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, freeform said:

This was a little painful to watch - all the 'power' is being generated in his knees and ankles.

Yeah, definitely a lot of torquing the knees there. I see that a lot within certain performances of this art (Liping Zhu also). Probably a hangover of wushu-ised internal arts demonstrations from the 80s. 

Lu Jian gives it a more wudang flavour here. 

His version of the daoyin/qigong form is interesting too as the stances are a lot higher. 

Edited by Vajra Fist
  • Like 1

• Like 1

Sign in to follow this