Daolina

Tai Chi Master online?

Hello Bums, I would appreciate alot if u could recommend few names of Tai Chi Masters, that are teaching online.Thanks in advance)))

Every suggestion so far has been stellar.

Big bump to Masters Adam, Damo and Liao.

I've heard nothing but quality from all three of those.

If you prefer the "hardness" that Chen style brings to the art, I found this video very good as it teaches the essentials of Chen TJQ:

Hope you find it useful. :)

Used to do 2 Chen forms many years ago. Always liked its mix of quiet moves building energy potential and then loud moves expressing the energy with fa li (particularly the elbow strikes!) Now 25 years later trying a Yang style (there are a number of them) and because I am doing a lot of static standing practice along side it have been able to connect with the internal movement of the Jin through the soft tissue. it’s weird how some of the external movements are similar but the energy expression can be so different between Chen and Yang. .  if you choose to do Yang make sure they teach the internal Jin aspects (e.g 8 jins, etc) part because without it I’m not sure what you have. My sense is that a lot of internal style practice (both bagua and tai chi) is done without the internal piece which, while understandable (hard to do, hard to teach, CCP politics) it is a bit sad.  

• Like 1

Ba Gua is vastly different from TJQ and they are mutually exclusive. Not a good idea training the two side by side. 

Now with Ba Gua. It's internal in itself without needing to teach specific details like TJQ; the problem comes with people not focusing on the basics which is perfect footwork, circling and 8 Mother Palms; you can throw in some Ba Da Zhang stuff for fun but it won't matter as it's not essential stuff. Also FOUNDATION work is a must in the internal arts or Kung Fu in general. 

He Jinghan has released a ton of video material on this which is his specialty. 

I'd heard that Tai Chi was primarily a grappling art recently from an MMA coach that was looking into it.

Not surprising that coach saw mainly a grappling art given his focus.

We see what we recognize after all. 

I suspect there may be a bit more beyond his ken at play...

18 minutes ago, silent thunder said:

Not surprising that coach saw mainly a grappling art given his focus.

We see what we recognize after all. 

I suspect there may be a bit more beyond his ken at play...

It did seem quite effective as he was demonstrating them against trained MMA grapplers though. 

Edited by Maddie

26 minutes ago, Maddie said:

It did seem quite effective as he was demonstrating them against trained MMA grapplers though. 

It is easily to show the effectiveness of Taiji in slow motion. None of us will see this happening in the fighting ring. Especially, when gloves were worn.

• Like 1

Taichi boxing is rather a set of principles.   The individual Taichi skills (or moves) are not unique, and quite often borrowed from other Chinese martial arts.  These guiding principles are best applied on grappling, wrestling, joint locking - those having immediate contact with enemies.  So Taichi looks like these arts.    It does have things like direct and heavy punches as in western boxing, but lacks the force and somehow against its principles.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:46 AM, Sahaja said:

...if you choose to do Yang make sure they teach the internal Jin aspects (e.g 8 jins, etc) part because without it I’m not sure what you have. My sense is that a lot of internal style practice (both bagua and tai chi) is done without the internal piece which, while understandable (hard to do, hard to teach, CCP politics) it is a bit sad.  

At SunShen* we spent the whole first hundred days systematically developing awareness and perceptions, before even starting a basic moving a chi ball. I almost didn't stick with it, thinking it was too tame new agey meditation thing. If not for the Zoom meetings where talking with the seniors can give an idea of what they're all about. Then at least another hundred days of training the breath and internal vibration. By the time you get to bone condensing, the whole thing looks nothing like the fancy flowing taiji qigong youtubes. You always hear about these advanced methods only being teach behind closed doors. I'll tell you a big secret. It's because from the purely external viewpoint, most people would say it looks like trying to squeeze out a big dump LMAO. Seriously though, without the many layers of internal understanding and toughening, to jump straight into that kind of move genuinely risks injury.

*Daily Practice Series is a general neigong, not taijiquan, but the teacher Daniel Kim is a 5th gen. Yang style master 

Edited by Nintendao