Sign in to follow this  
C T

Recent case of Tibetan Nun in Thukdam

Recommended Posts

 

 

 

Ven Tenzin Choedon, more prominently known as Ani Tenzin, was a resident of Kollegal Tibetan settlement who had spent over 44 years in meditation retreat at the holy caves of Guru Padmasambhava. Her body was found in the state of Thukdam with floral fragrance all around.

 

 

 

Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and indoor

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty interesting phenomena, I have read about it before a few times

 

does anyone know what style practices lead to this state after death?

 

I know dzogchen practices can lead to the body shrinking after death (a different result than the Thukdam state)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Neigongwiki said:

Pretty interesting phenomena, I have read about it before a few times

 

does anyone know what style practices lead to this state after death?

 

I know dzogchen practices can lead to the body shrinking after death (a different result than the Thukdam state)

 

All buddhist practices lead to it. It is a sign of realization. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Miroku said:

 

All buddhist practices lead to it. It is a sign of realization. 

 

 

Really all of them?

 

So you mean to tell me that practicing just shamatha to a high level will lead to thukdam?

 

just practicing vipassana?

 

It seems to me to be the result of tantric practice ? I am not familiar with it happening in non tantric schools of buddhism, though to be honest im not so familiar with the state

 

I know thogal can lead to the dissapearing body or shrinking body phenomena after death, and i have not heard of many other practices (besides some taoist shen related practices causing a similar result)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neigongwiki said:

 

 

Really all of them?

 

So you mean to tell me that practicing just shamatha to a high level will lead to thukdam?

 

just practicing vipassana?

 

It seems to me to be the result of tantric practice ? I am not familiar with it happening in non tantric schools of buddhism, though to be honest im not so familiar with the state

 

I know thogal can lead to the dissapearing body or shrinking body phenomena after death, and i have not heard of many other practices (besides some taoist shen related practices causing a similar result)


Yes, as far as I know yes. Ofc it is mostly seen among tantrikas, however I would not rule out followers of sutra being able to reach it too. However I doubt there are modern cases. I only know about followers of pure land buddhism dying while standing or sitting and praying and keeping the position. If there is warmth around the heart I do not know. But other signs as their body lasting "fresh" are there sometimes.

As of rainbow body (the shrinking and ideally disappearance after death leaving only nails and hair and clothes) it is possible through Highest Yoga tantra and Dzogchen practices such as thogal. And actually appears still quite regularly. I think earlier this year one yogi shrinked.

 

It is a fascinating thing and "proof" of effectivity of said practices. However, while it is a nice aspiration we have to start where we are.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Miroku said:


Yes, as far as I know yes. Ofc it is mostly seen among tantrikas, however I would not rule out followers of sutra being able to reach it too. However I doubt there are modern cases. I only know about followers of pure land buddhism dying while standing or sitting and praying and keeping the position. If there is warmth around the heart I do not know. But other signs as their body lasting "fresh" are there sometimes.

As of rainbow body (the shrinking and ideally disappearance after death leaving only nails and hair and clothes) it is possible through Highest Yoga tantra and Dzogchen practices such as thogal. And actually appears still quite regularly. I think earlier this year one yogi shrinked.

 

It is a fascinating thing and "proof" of effectivity of said practices. However, while it is a nice aspiration we have to start where we are.

 

Interesting I wonder what the mechanics behind the state are, and what it signifies

 

I understand that with Thogal the disappearing body means a level of sucess in acheiving rainbow body

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Neigongwiki said:

 

Interesting I wonder what the mechanics behind the state are, and what it signifies

 

I understand that with Thogal the disappearing body means a level of sucess in acheiving rainbow body

I am fascinated by the potential induction aggregates behind the phenomenon of light bodies.

It's so well documented in Tibetan history...

 

It's a strongly claimed fact (at least in physics) that biological creatures give off bio photons... and at the sub-atomic scale we are all fluidic patterns of vibration of varying frequencies amidst vast emptiness...

 

I wonder at the connection to great 'relative stillness' and some mantra practices carried out over decades, to affect the vibrational foundations of body and mind structure and induce light shifts in 'corporeal matter'.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this